Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
380 Posts
Not one flake - but 20 miles away in Asheville they will end up with around 2-3". Snow line ended about 7 miles north of us.

Rob
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
I will echo everyone else that you have all come through this OK from a personal safety point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Still, we are getting an increasing number of earthquakes here lately, so it may bite me in the a**e at some stage!
Toast, you know Mount Taranaki is going to bite you in the rear at some point, it is just a question of when. I spent quite a bit of time visiting New Plymouth working on the methanol plants before they shut down in 2004 and recall getting woken up once when the hotel shook from a small tremor - spooky stuff for someone from the UK where we do not get much in the way of earthquakes.

For those not sure of the reference, this is what sits in the middle of Taranaki where Toast hails from.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Yeah, living at the foot of a dirty great volcano is always interesting..! The experts recon it will be the Stratford side that blows when it does so thats the other side from here. Who knows tho... The Methanol plants are up and running again now. Lucky as I work in the Oil and Gas industry for a company called Plant & Platform.
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:30 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,160 Posts
Well thanks to all who were concerned about us here in the path of Sandy! BUT THE SUN IS OUT here now and everybody is picking up all of the mess and trying to move on now. It's also cooler here now FALL has arrived and I have to get back to thinking about this FLAP setup it will take me a few days to get into it again. I have made a new friend and she stayed w/ me through this storm so it's going to be awhile until I'm think about PLANES again for some reason

What can I say.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Nice one bruva!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,160 Posts
Quote:
Nice one bruva!
THANK'S Toast it's been a great past few weeks for me!

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jun 2007
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Well thanks to all who were concerned about us here in the path of Sandy! BUT THE SUN IS OUT here now and everybody is picking up all of the mess and trying to move on now. It's also cooler here now FALL has arrived and I have to get back to thinking about this FLAP setup it will take me a few days to get into it again. I have made a new friend and she stayed w/ me through this storm so it's going to be awhile until I'm think about PLANES again for some reason

What can I say.

Bruce
Great to hear that you are all safe and sound none of us are immune to natural disasters.
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:53 PM
Buddha
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
Well her in the mid east part of PA we lost power for 2 days, thanks for the grill we had hot food. Just got cable (internet). Had 2 trees come down without damage to anything. I count my blessings.

Rick
R. Martin is online now Find More Posts by R. Martin
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Sounds like you have all been fairly lucky. No one I know has been hurt or killed. Thank god.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:20 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
Engines

I wonder how one of these BT Mossies will fly with 2 Webra .40 SilverLines?

Ray
Nav_Aids is offline Find More Posts by Nav_Aids
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2012
31 Posts
Ray: That would depend upon what the finished weight was. Here is a data point: I've got an 81" BT Mosquito (~19 lb) that I've been flying since 1991. For the first 15+ years I flew it with a pair of OS .46 SF two stroke engines, and it flew quite reasonably, although it was pretty much full throttle most of the time. About 5 years ago, I replaced the (by then) worn out .46s with a pair of OS .50 SX two stroke engines. These provided a very significant improvement in performance: I was able to go from 11x6 props to 12x6 props, with approximately the same RPM at full throttle. It is now possible to fly very comfortably at about 3/4 throttle, with full throttle reserved for the climbing maneuvers. My plane is on the heavier side because I did a lot of scale detailing. It flies very nicely regardless. If you are in the 15-17 lb range, those .40s should be fine.

Tom
TRWolf is offline Find More Posts by TRWolf
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRWolf View Post
Ray: ..... If you are in the 15-17 lb range, those .40s should be fine.

Tom
Thanks for the info Tom. I thought the .40's would be good to start with. I still have to break them in before I can leave them at full throttle. Also I'm not big on aerobatics so the power should be right up my alley.

Ray
Nav_Aids is offline Find More Posts by Nav_Aids
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:17 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Out to buy a news paper and bought this magazine.If you can get it where you areName: File.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 189.3 KB
Description: Good write up about NZ Mossie and Mossies of 617 Sqadron.
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:32 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Just one more...
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:43 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like you have all been fairly lucky. No one I know has been hurt or killed. Thank god.
All of you all all very lucky considering that the hurricane went that far up the coast.
We haven't had to worry about getting any of those here on the Island. All we have to worry about are the earthquakes. We had one just recently. It was a 7.4 and it hit one of our northern islands. No casualties and only a little damage. We didn't feel a thing here, because it was on a different fault line. It did make us think though.
bwigger is offline Find More Posts by bwigger