SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:02 PM
Auckland NewZealand
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
That's going to look great.

Hi there,it looks like you have a lot of work there to do and so much detail.How long do you think it will take you to finish it.For your information you can look on Aavspec.co.nz for details of the Mosquito they have restored a De Havilland Mosquito FB26 KA114.its owned by a American guy called Jerry Yagen who brought it to NZ to have it fully restored and thanks to Aircraft restoration they have brought this maguificent aircraft back to life.she will be leaving NZ to go to a museum some where in the states but dont on when.I went to see this plane at the weekend for its launch and i have to say it was worth the 3hrs wait stuck in traffic to get there.I have some photo's so i will post them on here when i sort out my camera.Cant wait to see the finish Mosquito.Regards Laurence
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
yea Richard those are just photos so I can get ideas how I will make parts. so I got the second half of the stab shell finished and glued together this is very thin so I'm doing it a bit diff. he had you skin then add the cap strip. I did it first then I will add 1/16" cap strip after skinning by the time you sand it it will only add about 1/32" larger, but it will be stronger. I also waited to add the gussets he had them in 1/8" and when glued would be 1/4" I just used 1/4" and added two to the aft end where there will be steal pin hinge that I will make w/ brass tube so here are some photos so you can see what I'm talking about.
Kiwi1 is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi1
Last edited by Kiwi1; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
But the flap hinges are visible on the Mosquito. I know on mine the hinges are not scale in appearance (cut down horns) so I can hardly critique other's builds for scale veracity.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:17 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Yes Laurence there's still a lot of work to do and I'm doing lightning,weathering,rockets,bombs and bombay doors that work also.
Peter..I think it will be in between both install of the hinges so not so much sticks out and I can make a litho schroud around them.
Once I have the FLAPS made in front of me I will get a better idea of just how it will work
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Bruce:

Robart hinge points will work fine. That is what I used for both my 81" and 124" Mosquitos. However, if you are not going to use the offset bellcrank as shown on the plans to connect the flaps, you will have to add another (non-scale) hinge to each flap. The full size airplane only had one exposed hinge for each flap section. The portion of the flap closest to the nacelle was supported by the actuation mechanism. I've attached photos of my 81" hinges. Note that the hinge point is well outside the wing profile and note the hinge support "jog" that extends out from the trailing edge of the wing to shift the hinge pin location aft from the flap leading edge. These two offsets are required to achieve a constant gap between the upper aft edge of the wing and the curved leading edge of the flap during flap deployment (see photos and captions). The fairings/shrouds were fabricated from balsa.

The hinge arrangement for my 124" Mossie is the same, except that I used the largest Robart Hinge Point available (1/4" shank). You can see the hinges at around the 4:00 mark of the video clip (see my blog for link).

Regards,
Tom
TRWolf is offline Find More Posts by TRWolf
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:49 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Tom thank you for showing the photos of your FLAPS they will be very helpful, can you show the internal actuation mechanism that you came up with/ or photos of it while you were making it.
Or did you use the same bent wire that's in Brians drawing? any views here would be very helpful so I can come up w/ something. I just hope mine looks half as nice as yours.

Thanks again,

Bruce
Last edited by splinterz25; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Here are the real FLAPS under construction
I think I'll try to make a center post like the real plane had and run it through a nylon
bushing that way I will be able to just use one hinge like tom has in his photos.
The post will be a piece of heavy gauge music wire w/ wheel collars on the ends this will act as the center hinge.

Bruce
Last edited by splinterz25; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Hi Bruce:

For the 81" Mosquito, I simply made the bent wire flap actuator as shown on the plans, and it worked fine. For the larger Mosquito, I made up something stiffer because bent wire in that larger size would have been pretty wimply. I've attached a sketch that shows what I did. The geometry matches the plans (pivot point location, offset angles, etc). Something like this would work for the 81 inch bird as well, if it was scaled down appropriately. For my smaller Mosquito I located the flap servos (one for each side of the wing) at the wing center section, with a bellcrank in the wheel well. If you keep the linkages straight, and make sure they are supported, the control setup is reasonably rigid. On the larger Mosquitos, I've seen guys put the flap servo in the nacelle aft of the flap actuator with a very short linkage connecting to the flap horn. There is a scale access panel on the top surface of the wing that can provide access to this area for maintenance.
TRWolf is offline Find More Posts by TRWolf
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Flap Servo

This is what I think Tom was referring to about mounting the servo in the back of the engine nodule. I was using this fellow for my build, but there wasn't too much detail so I had to experiment with a lot of the build. Now you came along and have shown me the path to rightness.
The site is at http://www.mossie.org/models/Jeff_Bo...g_Mosquito.htm.
And I've attached a copy of the pic.

Ben
bwigger is offline Find More Posts by bwigger
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Thanks bwigger and everybody I think for me the way to go is that old saying KISS
This is what I'm going to try to do.
I have a few ideas that combine all that I have seen, I'll post when it looks like something.

Bruce
Last edited by splinterz25; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:30 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Alright everybody I went back to my first way of trying to drive the FLAPS w/ one servo
but think I will use a actuator like Tom showed my own version of coarse.
So the first thing I had to do was make sure I could rout a push rod through the landing gear and have enough room to work the flaps here's what I have come up w/ so far.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
179 Posts
Hi Bruce and all. Back from my wandering around and started the build. Started the rudder as it was something easy. Also I will be going to NZ on family matters and thought I might catch-up with the the Mosquito rebuild. Finally I found out that Mosquito's were built in Aussie and there is one in the National War Museum. So I am trying to have a close look and take lots of photos.
I have produced, from Bruce's postings, a build log and I am using that as the basis for my build.
Below are the photos showing my current progress, see what you think.
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,440 Posts
Such clean soldering! That is one thing that I am no good at...
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
Such clean soldering! That is one thing that I am no good at...
Thanks aaron Have you started a build yet? I thought you would have started one for sure since your move to Frostburg it's that time of year, I hope you pull down one of those boxes and just start building one of them.
Good luck w / it if you do and I hope you post a build thread!

Bruce
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,440 Posts
Not yet...I actually spent a lot of time camping this summer (in fact, I am going again this weekend) but it looks like building season will start next week with temps dropping into the upper 20's and lower 30's.

I have to decide what to build...I have an almost finished plane that I have totally lost interest in but I feel as though I need to finish it first. I think I could nail it out in a couple weeks if I really focus. Hard to do when I lost interest in the plane!

I will start a thread once I start the build...of which ever plane it is
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
COOL aaron I look forward to see what you choose I know you have many that you can build.
Today I started to assemble the FLAPS, tomorrow I need to run to the hobby store and get some brass tubing and nylon bushings/ straps.
Then come up w/ the actuator,I scribed out a few brass parts but that's as far as I got today.