HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Well so far it's Fricken awesome. Just watched the first show flight. WOW! The sound is incredible!
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
That's great Toast sound like your having fun and it didn't rain on the show I wish I could have been there.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Mosquito open day with spitfire, mustang and P40 (0 min 19 sec)
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Thanks Peter.
I was thinking the same way by getting rid of the bell cranks and hook up the servo directly. It'll be a hassle, but it can be done.
Bruce, Rob, Motrio any more suggestions?
bwigger is offline Find More Posts by bwigger
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Bwiger ...I haven't done mine yet but direct drive is how I was going also never cared much for bellcranks just one more thing to go wrong and adjust.

Mine will look very close to Peaters set up, been putting them off because they look to be a real pain in the but I'll get there be for to long.

Bruce
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
326 Posts
Yes, I agree that they are a real pain in the bottom / posterier / deriere. The one tool that I found to be a great help was an angled screwdriver (see image) so that the horn could be adjusted on the splined shaft once inside the wheel wells. I had to adjust them once and the only way I could disconnect them was with this type of screwdriver. Lower the flap, engage the screwdriver, raise the flap to turn the screw through 90, realease the crewdriver from the screw, lower the flaps and repeat. I hope this makes sense.

The photos ( not on my build log as I have far too many to have uploaded them all) show the downside of this location, imagine the retract doors on there aswell and needing to undo the servo horn once everything was completed. It took me a bit of thought before I twigged how to do it with the angled screwdriver.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
354 Posts
Mine is set up with bellcranks per plan, but only because I didn't build it. I would go with individual servos with a Y connector on each side (4 servos total) for ease of setup.

This way you could also set up progressive flaps (inner dropped more than the outer) either with radio programming or using a shorter arm on the outer flap. The mossie stalls fairly benignly with flaps down - no severe tip stall - so it's not really necessary. Mine will drop a wing pretty severely with the flaps up though.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Mine is set up with bellcranks per plan, but only because I didn't build it. I would go with individual servos with a Y connector on each side (4 servos total) for ease of setup.

This way you could also set up progressive flaps (inner dropped more than the outer) either with radio programming or using a shorter arm on the outer flap. The mossie stalls fairly benignly with flaps down - no severe tip stall - so it's not really necessary. Mine will drop a wing pretty severely with th Yee flaps up though.

Rob
Yes when I get there I'm going to look at using four MG micro servos AND ROBART HINGES just to avoid all of the night mares

Bruce
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Nov 2004
326 Posts
You may not get the correct action as the hinging line is below the bottom of the flap. But then you are incredibly inventive so I suppose the Robart hinges could be angled and made to sit proud of the flaps and then have a built up fairing around them.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Yes when I get there I'm going to look at using four MG micro servos AND ROBART HINGES just to avoid all of the night mares

Bruce
This would be interesting to see.
Which hinges do you plan to use?
That is a lot of servos you'll have in each wing. How do you plan to access them when the plane is finished?
I'm watching you closely now.....

Peter, don't you dare lose anything in that nodule. You'll never find it again.
So much in so little space.
I like the screwdriver idea for adjustment. This is my most likely route so far.
bwigger is offline Find More Posts by bwigger
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:21 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwigger View Post
This would be interesting to see.
Which hinges do you plan to use?
That is a lot of servos you'll have in each wing. How do you plan to access them when the plane is finished?
I'm watching you closely now.....

Peter, don't you dare lose anything in that nodule. You'll never find it again.
So much in so little space.
I like the screwdriver idea for adjustment. This is my most likely route so far.
bwigger...If I go w/ four servos they would each have there own hatch
on the bottom side of the wing and would have an internal pushrod to deploy them.
The hinges would be these.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXET57&P=ML
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
Ive been using these from Hobbyking $1-96 nonmembers $1-75 US members for 10. Comment from one buyer "Identical to the robart hinges I have. These may be a little better because the ridge will hold epoxy better."
joneswag is offline Find More Posts by joneswag
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Here's what I'm talking about THE PLAIN FLAP app.
http://www.robart.com/sites/default/...w_To_Hinge.pdf
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Nov 2004
326 Posts
The mossie to work per full scale and the plan needs the "Slotted Flap" installtion with the hinge point below the bottom of the wing. I am sure you can do it if anybody can.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:10 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
The mossie to work per full scale and the plan needs the "Slotted Flap" installtion with the hinge point below the bottom of the wing. I am sure you can do it if anybody can.
That's how I did the FLAPS on my Stinson Reliant SR -9 but I want to do them so they aren't seen.

So I have a jig for drilling that type of install if I need to use it but then I would have to cover them some how we'll see I still need to make the FLAPS and one more AILERON.
And this may be a good time to do this because I have put every thing away this past week and I'm keeping everything out of the living room right now but will be able to work on my table. then maybe I can figure out one side all the way.

Bruce