HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:29 AM
Registered User
PeterF's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamj4 View Post
Hi ken, I'm (slowly) building one of these for electric as well. I elected to put the batteries in the nacelles, there is plenty of room especially once you move the bulkhead forward to allow for the shorter motors, then with a hatch over the top of the nacelles and the esc behind the scale radiators you;re all sorted.

Good luck and welcome to the madness :-)
If I had electrified mine then this is what I would have done, the cowls are truly cavernous and the retracts do not really come into the cowl by very much. I would split the top of the cowl to give access to batteries and then have a receiver / servo battery in the fuselage and keep all the heavy power wiring short in the nacelles.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
Buddha
R. Martin's Avatar
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
236 Posts
I have just stepped back in time and read my way foward 2 times. Yes I just finished reading this build and the P38 and I am enlightened and impressed. Two beautiful builds. Such detail and very informative. I have just one question, you refer to these planes as to a scale size. How do you figure the scale so you can buy the right parts? I need to know so I will be able to buy those universal parts like pilot figures.

Rick
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:10 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Martin View Post
I have just stepped back in time and read my way foward 2 times. Yes I just finished reading this build and the P38 and I am enlightened and impressed. Two beautiful builds. Such detail and very informative. I have just one question, you refer to these planes as to a scale size. How do you figure the scale so you can buy the right parts? I need to know so I will be able to buy those universal parts like pilot figures.

Rick
Rick the Mossie is a set of drawings from a guy Bob Holman he sells all kind of plans and laser cut parts and some cowlings ETC. and the plans I bought were 1/8 scale.

The P38 was a 1/16 scale set of Guillows plans I had from a plane I built years ago
that I took to office depot and had them enlarged 100% to 1/8 scale.

As far as parts go I just make them the size on the plans or you can buy them from different suppliers, it depends on who makes the parts for that plane each supplier
only carries parts for the kits they sell.

Bob Holman is just one supplier there are many kit suppliers out there.
http://www.bhplans.com/BTPlansPg2.html
This is Bob Holmans site,

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:30 PM
Buddha
R. Martin's Avatar
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Rick the Mossie is a set of drawings from a guy Bob Holman he sells all kind of plans and laser cut parts and some cowlings ETC. and the plans I bought were 1/8 scale.

The P38 was a 1/16 scale set of Guillows plans I had from a plane I built years ago
that I took to office depot and had them enlarged 100% to 1/8 scale.

As far as parts go I just make them the size on the plans or you can buy them from different suppliers, it depends on who makes the parts for that plane each supplier
only carries parts for the kits they sell.

Bob Holman is just one supplier there are many kit suppliers out there.
http://www.bhplans.com/BTPlansPg2.html
This is Bob Holmans site,

Bruce
What I am asking is how to figure the scale of any r/c plane if it is not known.
I plan to enlarge a plane of unknown scale and will want to get a pilot figure for it. Do you take the w/s of model and divide it into the real planes w/s? or is there another way?

Rick
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Take the full size w/s and devide by model w/s. Will give you the scale of the model.. Ie: 15000mm / 3000 = 5. So it would be 1/5 scale.
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
Buddha
R. Martin's Avatar
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
236 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Take the full size w/s and devide by model w/s. Will give you the scale of the model.. Ie: 15000mm / 3000 = 5. So it would be 1/5 scale.
I was not sure that was the answer because it is too easy. I thought I may be wrong with this. Just needed to check.

Thanks
Rick
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Martin View Post
What I am asking is how to figure the scale of any r/c plane if it is not known.
I plan to enlarge a plane of unknown scale and will want to get a pilot figure for it. Do you take the w/s of model and divide it into the real planes w/s? or is there another way?

Rick
Sorry Rick I didn't understand what you were asking, Yes you would need the WS of the full size plane and other dims. and cut them down to the scale you are looking for.

If the plane had a 30' WS nd you wanted 1/2 scale it would be 15' WS
7'6"WS for 1/4 scale
45" WS1/8 scale

I think I have this right, I'm sure someone will set me straight if I don't.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:28 AM
Buddha
R. Martin's Avatar
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Sorry Rick I didn't understand what you were asking, Yes you would need the WS of the full size plane and other dims. and cut them down to the scale you are looking for.

If the plane had a 30' WS nd you wanted 1/2 scale it would be 15' WS
7'6"WS for 1/4 scale
45" WS1/8 scale

I think I have this right, I'm sure someone will set me straight if I don't.

Bruce
Thanks again. Like I say I can learn alot on this web site.

Rick
R. Martin is offline Find More Posts by R. Martin
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
yes , Bruce is correct. Just make sure when you do the arithmetic you are dividing feet by feet or inches by inches. For example: A fullsize Stuka has a wingspan of 45' 3 1/2 ".so 12 x 45 = 540" +3.5 = 543.5" . Now if you know you want a 1/5 model just divide 543.5 by 5 which would give you 108.7 " for your model.If you want a specific wingspan for your model, say 72"; divide the 543.5" by 72 which gives you a 1/7.54 scale.
tunakuts3d is online now Find More Posts by tunakuts3d
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Well, the Kiwi Mozzie had its first engine run yesterday. It appears all went well. However there is a big question mark over wether it will be ready for next Saturday. Fingers crossed as I am all booked to go. I bet the hanger is in a frenzy at the moment....
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Registered User
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
joneswag

How did the Hobby King retractable tail wheel work out. Is it strong enough?

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswag View Post
Is this the same tail wheel from Hobby King. PRODUCT ID: OR025-00801
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:35 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
joneswag

How did the Hobby King retractable tail wheel work out. Is it strong enough?

Ken
KEN it looked to be the same as the Robart one I bought for three times as much. and it came w/ a wheel.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
I havn't used it at the moment, had a go at building tailwheel as per drawings. Refer report 913.
Hobbyking wheel was exactly the same as Bruces except it came with a wheel.
joneswag is offline Find More Posts by joneswag
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Vid for you guys.. Not sure what the arm waving was all about. Oil leak maybe...

IMG 0549 (0 min 48 sec)
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Great to see a good looking bird trying to strut her stuff.Rolls Royce Merlins have a sound of their own when fired up.Popping and banging!On song they still bring the hairs on my arms with the supercharged whistle!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold For the Scale Builder: A Set of Brian Taylor Plans Vultee BT-13 W/Cowl & Canopy stevster Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Apr 07, 2011 03:27 PM
Question Contact for Brian Taylor Plans pgleesonuk The Builders Workshop 4 Sep 13, 2006 10:48 AM
Brian Taylor Mosquito plans CraigO Scale Kit/Scratch Built 11 Nov 05, 2003 05:43 PM
Brian Taylor Mosquito FB Vl electrified TasMike Scale Kit/Scratch Built 0 Nov 05, 2003 06:32 AM
FS: 69" P-51 Brian Taylor plans and Parts Ken Lapointe Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Feb 05, 2003 07:57 PM