HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
431 Posts
Bruce - Short piece of fuel tubing and a fuel line plug will work fine. Check it every now and then to make sure it doesn't vibrate off from harmonics or secure the plug to the airframe. I've done this before and had the fuel line with the plug fall off from vibration. Won't leak fuel, but causes loss of tank pressurization = bad

Motiro - looking good

joneswag - glad to have another mossie in the building

PeterF - Thanks again

We have to get all the mossies together once they are done - mabye at a Joe Noll fly in.

Rob
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,638 Posts
Thanks Rob but I've already put a set screw in the hole where the nipple use to be w. some CA glue so it wont back out.

We have got a real MOSSIE building and total interest club going on here now and just think when I started this build the only build I could find was Peter F's there is another one over there on RCSB a 124" WS but he has stopped build for some reason lovely plane though.

I'm just glad to see you finish your's and waiting for some action shots or vid, and that these two other guys are now posting more photos of there builds.

And Roddie should be getting back from his walkabout vacation at the end of September and he will be starting his own thread or at least I thought he said that or he can post here also.
This is very cool guys let's keep it going!

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Last edited by splinterz25; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:59 AM
Plane Nuts
Joined Oct 2009
431 Posts
Bruce - mine is ready to go - might take it out this weekend.

Had to re-synch the engines. have them within 300RPM of each other at mid and full throttle - with the left being the stronger so no swing on takeoff. Idle and 1/4 is dead even - don't know how I did it, just worked out that way with carb position, linkage length and servo location. Plus the left engine has a new ring in it so it might just be a little stronger. Ran 3 tanks through including 3/4 tank at idle just to see if it would load up and 1 tank at full throttle to see if it would overheat or lean out. Looks like it is ready.

Just fixing and running my old .40 Funtana so I can bring something else out to the field to loosen up the thumbs.

Rob
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:45 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Bruce - mine is ready to go - might take it out this weekend.

Had to re-synch the engines. have them within 300RPM of each other at mid and full throttle - with the left being the stronger so no swing on takeoff. Idle and 1/4 is dead even - don't know how I did it, just worked out that way with carb position, linkage length and servo location. Plus the left engine has a new ring in it so it might just be a little stronger. Ran 3 tanks through including 3/4 tank at idle just to see if it would load up and 1 tank at full throttle to see if it would overheat or lean out. Looks like it is ready.

Just fixing and running my old .40 Funtana so I can bring something else out to the field to loosen up the thumbs.

Rob
Man that's great I wish you the best of luck with it but it sounds like you have got it under controle but that's how you are.
Please don't forget my offer I think your the man for the job!

Bruce
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
Plane Nuts
Joined Oct 2009
431 Posts
It Flew Pics and video coming soon. Ended up actually a little nose heavy - still balancing 7/8" behind where it shows on the plans. Going to leave it there though. Flies solid - even in the 10-15 mph winds today.

Rob
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,638 Posts
COOL Rob looking forward to seeing them

Well I'm glad I didn't even try to put the OS 95-V in this plane there's hardly enough room for all of the things going on w/ the 70 size engine and I thought w/ this cowlings size everything would fit very easy, but it very tight and to get the on board drive system in also??

Today I went back and cut off about 1/2" off both ends of the header and changed the angles where the fittings are and now it fits, it doesn't look like much work has been done but it took the afternoon and I still have to do the second one yet.
here's what it 's looking like.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Crankshaft extension

Hi Bruce, sorry I'm a bit late with this but, I have really enjoyed reading this build. Anyway I hope the others see this before cutting their cowls, here are the links to crankshaft extensions that you and the other mossie builders can use to move their engines back and give the engine more room, these extensions works on a lot of different engines including your XL70's:
1/2"
Fox 1/4-28x1/2" Long Shaft Extension
3/4"
Fox 1/4-28X3/4" Long Shaft Extension

I don't know how much they will help but, it's a shot. I hope I remember this build 2 years from now when I build my mossie. It will definitly help with my TF Sea Fury.

Ray
Nav_Aids is offline Find More Posts by Nav_Aids
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav_Aids View Post
Hi Bruce, sorry I'm a bit late with this but, I have really enjoyed reading this build. Anyway I hope the others see this before cutting their cowls, here are the links to crankshaft extensions that you and the other mossie builders can use to move their engines back and give the engine more room, these extensions works on a lot of different engines including your XL70's:
1/2"
Fox 1/4-28x1/2" Long Shaft Extension
3/4"
Fox 1/4-28X3/4" Long Shaft Extension

I don't know how much they will help but, it's a shot. I hope I remember this build 2 years from now when I build my mossie. It will definitly help with my TF Sea Fury.

Ray
Thank you Ray I knew they had extensions but it would have to go back over 1 1/2" so you wouldn't have to cut the cowl and you have to let some air in anyway.
I'm glad your enjoying this build and hope it's been helpful for your builds.

Bruce
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,713 Posts
Bruce, you are a friggin rockstar! I love your work man. There once was a guy who was REALLY crazy over at RCSB doing a DO-335 build who tried to make a shaft extension about 6 inches long for the rear engine. Ended up just making the engine exposed. No shaft he made would hold up to the cylinder knocking that gas engines put out. It was a valiant effort but I think he spent the better part of 6 months trying various things. Sometimes you have the $ for RCV engines and sometimes you just go with what you have. A solid performing setup that should be able to give you YEARS of fun for a lot less up front.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Wilsonman - A 6" extension could be done but the bearing at the end would have to be very secure, think boats.

Bruce - Yup gotta get some air to those engines. Don't forget the rule that says the exit for the air has to be twice the size of the air inlet.

Ray
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,638 Posts
Thanks guys yea I'm not sure how to put exit holes in this baby w/ out making it look like Swiss cheese?
any realistic suggestions on this guys?
on to engine two,

Bruce
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:10 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,638 Posts
Well I stayed up all night and mounted the second engine and made the other header
and worked on a spring type mount for the pipes.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
I would think 1 ok but 2 better in case 1 worked loose!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Thanks guys yea I'm not sure how to put exit holes in this baby w/ out making it look like Swiss cheese?
any realistic suggestions on this guys?
on to engine two,

Bruce
I was thinking about that last night but, I'm kind of stumped, need more head scratching time.

Ray

P.S. I know I said I want to build a 71" but I meant the 81" same as yours.
Last edited by Nav_Aids; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Flat Tail Wheel

TRWolf what make is that tail wheel in the pic and where did you get it ? Please.

Thanks

Ray