SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Toast look here the other site is a pay site I'll post that one also after this let's see if this works first?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#11214894

ok got that one here's the other one;
[URL="http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18268&PN=1&TPN=43"]http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18268&PN=1&TPN=43[/URL

sorry for the troubles,

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Brill! I will bounce over to that thread then.

See you there!
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2007
428 Posts
Well done! both on your progress and figuring out the photo issue
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:07 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Thank you rupert .....WELL this turned out to be a trouble shooting weekend all around I can't take credit for being able to post photos that's something ADMIN has done. BUT I was having a he of a time with the primer on the second cowling it kept cracking once dry so I wet and sanded it real good and skim coated the whole cowl w/ spot putty and let dry and sanded again wiped it down w/ a clean hand full of paper towles and alcohol and shot it again.

With that behind me I moved on to mounting the cowlings there are many factors going on here first one is since I made my own from scratch there are no lines or cuts made for me.
This means figuring out how and where to make these cuts and keeping EVERY THING lined up!!

I know I needed to install rails on both sides to accept the brass inserts for the screws that will hold it in the correct place, but at the same time keep it flush at the top of the wing.

The other factor is the cut outs for the landing gears, doors and nacelle all have to line up and flow and still be functional THAT'S a lot easier said than done.

And on top of that where the fire wall is as per BRIAN TAYLOR'S drawing my prop will stick out about a 1/2" to far so I have been doing quite a bit of thinking!!

Instead of writing it all out have a look at the photos witch there are quite a few so you can TRY and understand what I'm trying to do!!

Please any positive ideas or help with regards to all of this is welcome

Bruce
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Mad that crackle is NUTS! I would have tried lighter coats as it a usual tell tale sign of Maryland's lovely humidity. I've noticed this on more humid days. Multiple light coats is usually my fix for this. Sometimes the weather dictates builds as well as flights!
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:39 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Mad that crackle is NUTS! I would have tried lighter coats as it a usual tell tale sign of Maryland's lovely humidity. I've noticed this on more humid days. Multiple light coats is usually my fix for this. Sometimes the weather dictates builds as well as flights!

Yea I never spray outside but this time I did because my daughter was here and when it's running about 98% humidity this is what you get it takes longer to dry in the AC but you don't have these problems!

but that was an easy fix the Engine mounts and mounting the cowlings that's another story but I think I've come up with a method by just drilling holes in the fire wall letting the ALUM mount to pass through and make a new fire wall back about an 1" this should work?

Bruce
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Yep, that'll work!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:50 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Well I'm not going to use the ALUM mounts on this plane I went ahead and cut out the fire wall, this is better for a few reasons cost effective and moves the engine back more where the cowling is deeper so less will stick out.

I went to LOWES to get some thin cutting wheels and of course they have changed there whole line of cutters so I had to by a set w/ a quick release it's nice but wont work for all of the other cutters I all ready have love how they make you buy new stuff !!

So I cut off the fire wall and it looks like it will have to go back about one inch so to make sure I get it right I'll mount the whole thing to the fire wall mount the cowling and get it in position wit all of the spacing where I want it,then glue in the fire wall.

The cowlings are just temp. mounted in case I need to make adjustments once I have it looking good and the second one mounted also then I'll putt the brass inserts in w/ 4 -40 screws.

Here's where i'm at now going to try and get at least one mounted all of the way today, next I have to cut the cowling for the valve cover to stick through so I can continue to line up everything!

so check it out,

Bruce
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:27 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Alright LET'S HERE IT WHAT DO YOU REALLY THINK!!

It's a bit lower than I thought it was going to be I thought just the valve covers were going to stick out

The engines that will fit cost way more than I have in the budget or are under powered I was planning on painting the valve cover sea green to mach the under side

Bruce
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:50 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Honestly... its not that bad. If you had gone with gas engines and had the plug wire in addition I would be disappointed but really, its not aweful. Not scale but noses like that are difficult.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Was there not a variant that had dust filters on the intakes or something? Once you paint them and everything else is on there, you wont see them. Honest!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:20 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Thanks guys I may still be able to adjust the cowling a bit so just the valve covers stick out.
And yes toast the one that I'm modeling had the dust covers as most did here's a photo of them loading the rockets on it in Banff Scotland.
I took a break and calmed down and now I'll go back to work and glue the fire wall
and start on the fuel tank tray and Alum servo mount for the throttle and have a look at the exhaust system as well!
double click the photo,

Bruce
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Bugger! Oh, well, its the compromises we have to make for our art! The other option is to make prop extensions and push the motors back untill the heads are inside the scoops. A**s of a job but doable if you have access to a lathe....
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:06 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Bugger! Oh, well, its the compromises we have to make for our art! The other option is to make prop extensions and push the motors back untill the heads are inside the scoops. A**s of a job but doable if you have access to a lathe....
You know I was thinking that also with the extensions but I don't have any way to make them I wish some body sold them!
It's not to late to fix the cowling, but I knew this going in I'm going to have a look at
getting just the valve cover sticking out like I planed I didn't think my measuring was that far off but there are a lot of variables going on in this area.

Bruce