HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
Toast.... Thank you for taking the time to explain to all of us how this project came about and who were the main contributors for the planning and restoration, and it sounds like they have a great all round team.

I think it would be just fantastic if they were able to restore several more of these WOODEN WONDERS and many more of the WWII aircraft!

I know once it arrives here in the US Virgina Beach I will have to find the time to make the short trip and go and see this piece of WORLD HISTORY!!

Thanks again,

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Bruce,
no problem. Hope you didnt mind the long post. Dont want to hijack your thread!

Just uploaded my visit pics to Photobucket for those that want some detail pics...

Not a lot of room in the office! Especially when your 6'6"!

Will be starting the Don Smith Mozzie next year with 30cc gas power. Will make the perfect hanger mate for my other planes...

Thanks for the awesome build thread man. Keep em the pics coming!

Cheers
Brett

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Last edited by Toast; Aug 24, 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: link
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
Toast..... Man thanks for those photos they will come in handy w/ some of the details!

And yes it wasn't designed for a man of your size was it! most were less than six foot
and it was still very tight in there.

Glad your going to build a Mossie as well what scale will you be building your Don Smith's model?

And I'll be looking forward to you posting that build

Thanks again and your welcome to post that kind of info anytime on this thread! we seam to have quite a following of Mossie lovers looking in now.

Bruce
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
109 in works out to 1/6 scale. Perfect for getting really good pilot figures as they are 12" collectable size. Same scale as my corsair and Huey.

Cant wait to get another twin going. I have a F7F Tigercat at the moment that is great to fly and very fast, but you really have to fly it like a pylon racer. Just love the sound of a pair of gassers howling away. The tiger cat is 80 in and powered by 2 x 26cc evolutions. This gives spectacular performance! Was thinking I might even see if I can get a pair of DLE55's in the front of the Mozzie. Its just GOTTA go fast, and so far I have been unable to over power an airframe to the point where it scares me. We will see though....!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
Toast that sounds like a real nice project w/ two DLE 55's that thing is going to ing scream across the sky!

Not only did we have to deal with my father in law passing away last week we also had to get my son off to collage and now that all of that is done I've started back to work on this bird to day.

I have to finish the intake scoops so I can mount the pieces that blend the fuse to the wings so I've made some progress on one side so far.

I will be setting up both birds now and jumping back and forth, there's no one here anymore to give me a hard time about taking up the whole house w/ my planes!

Bruce
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Very cool guys!
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:53 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
Thanks trout trying to get back into the building mode and get both the 38 and the mossie set up to work on by weeks end!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
Well I was able to get the second scoop under way and checked my cowlings for there fit they look good but I have noticed there is a slight difference between the scoops on the cowlings, this I will correct as much as possible w/ Bondo the average person would not even notice the difference.
The next step is to cut out some 1/32" ply for the outside edges of the radiator scoops and glue them on then fill the gaps with balsa w/ another piece of 1/32" ply on the outside, this way it will be durable and withstand rubbing together where the fuse and the wing meet.
I took a few shots while I had the cowlings on the plane w/ the nose and the bomb bay doors in the inverted position and she's starting to look like a MOSSIE!!

Bruce
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
Here's a photo of the plate I'm trying to make up against the fuse there will be one
made of 1/32" ply on each side.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Great to see you back Bruce!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Heh heh... I know that face...!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,321 Posts
I hit the side w/ primer around the wedge area.
I had someone ask me about the grills on the other thread,they are made out of ABS plastic covered w/ 2oz fiberglass cloth glued on the edges and pulled tight then trimmed w/ thin strips of ABS plastic and painted w/ very thin dark grey primer
sprayed w/ an airbrush so you can still see the weave of the glass cloth making it look like a grill.

Bruce
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
IF you had gone electric you could have easily used that to cool your ESC.... What a waste
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman