HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Thank you very much Roddie... I'm not going any where still going to work on this one also once I finish carving the plug for the 38 I'll be cleaning my work table off and
moving the Mossie FUSE to the coffee table and setting the p-38 up on the work table it will be back and forth for a while!!

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Missed all the fun you had!

Bruce when you were building your Mosquito I was building mine from the same plans. I purchased my plans from Bob Holman Plans, way back when. I also got the laser kit, the cowls and the cockpit. This last winter I decided to build it!
After seeing your thread and the level of detail that you put in your Mossie, I'm just amazed! Mine will be more of a 'stand-off' scale.
Thanks for allowing me to share in your thread. Here is a little more detail on my build and some pictures I took.
The color scheme I used is from the 418 squadron that was based in Holmsley South in April, 1944. The plane is Serial Number NS850 and was flown by Sqrn. Ldr. Robert Kipp and Flt. Lt. Peter Huletsky.
The model has two o.s. 61 FSR's and weights in at 20 Lbs. (a little heaver than the 13 Lbs suggested by Brian Taylor.
Anyway here are the picks.
bwigger is offline Find More Posts by bwigger
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Bwigger...Very nice looking plane in all my looking I didn't come across that scheme the (Black Rufe) feel free to post your Mossie photos and ask any questions you may have there are quite a few guys here following this thread that can be a help to you if you need any.
I'm also building a P-38 also and looking at your hanger you have some of the other planes I have also built TF P-51, TF spitfire,and you say your going to build the corsair, Ziroli P-38 I built the GP sport scale Corsair many years ago and still working on the 38 & Mossie.

Bruce
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
bwigger - great looking plane, there suddenly seems to be a lot of inetrest in this plane. The weight you have is a little heavier than mine and that flies well at 18lbs without fuel and 19 lbs in take off condition. I believe Brian Taylor fitted his planes with anti gravity modules because I have not found anyone yet who gets as light as the plan weights. Has yours flown yet, there are a few people on this thread who would like to know how well the 61 sized engines fly it.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Mine was just over 14 lbs with monokote covering and very few scale details and OS 50's. It's going to gain about a pound or two with the refresh.

Got the yellow sprayed on mine - should have known better than to use Lustrekote - very light in pigment and dried greenish instead of "Cub Yellow". 4 coats and you can still see right through it and see the difference in the grey monokote and grey primer underneath. There was only a slight difference before painting (had to look closely) between the two shades. Getting some Humbrol tomorrow to spray over it when it fully cures. Will post pics soon on my post.

Really nice to see the Mossie's coming out of the woodwork. Wonderful flying plane.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Bruce - I also built the TF Spitfire - did it in an American PR scheme. All aluminum with red trim. Had some old timers at a warbird fly in complain that my Mustang wasn't very scale and shouldn't be allowed to fly.

Now they will be saying that my Me 110 isn't scale

Rob
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Rob I too dislike the lusterkote I much prefer RUST-OLEUM covers very well
I don't know how close the match would be to the yellow but it's also less $$!

Bruce
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
bwigger - great looking plane, there suddenly seems to be a lot of inetrest in this plane. The weight you have is a little heavier than mine and that flies well at 18lbs without fuel and 19 lbs in take off condition. I believe Brian Taylor fitted his planes with anti gravity modules because I have not found anyone yet who gets as light as the plan weights. Has yours flown yet, there are a few people on this thread who would like to know how well the 61 sized engines fly it.
I haven't flown it yet. I need to brush up on flying with two engines. I'm hoping that I can finish it up before our flying season closes down and get one of the "pro's" to test fly it for me. Once I know it flies I'll let all of you know.
Thanks for the interest!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Bruce - I'm using Rustoleum for the green (flat hunter green - real close match for RLM70) but couldn't find anything close for the yellow in either it or Krylon. Went to several home improvement stores, craft stores and paint stores. For some reason RLM04 or insignia yellow isn't a popular color for home paints So, will have to get a few tins of Humbrol. High pigment with them. Should be able to do all the yellow with around 3-4 tins.

Bwigger - it will fly great on the .61's. This is my first and only twin and I have no other twin experience. If you have flown sport aerobatic and other warbirds (as seen in your pics) you will have no problem with the mossie. Flies very similiar to the TF Spitfire despite being a twin. The plane is a real pussycat to fly as long as the engines are reliable. If you have an engine out, need to cut the other throttle immediately or it WILL spin and not recover. Have seen 3 Mossies (2 Holman 124" and 1 BT) crash this way. If anything - make sure the motors run reliably in all attitudes, throttle settings and especially going to full after sitting and idling (takeoffs and go arounds are critical). Much more important than getting them syncronized. I've had mine out by 1000 rpm at full throttle and never noticed the difference. The mossie is very stable and forgiving and lands like a heavy trainer. Very locked in and stable on landing with easy attitude and altitude control with throttle. I have landed mine with only throttle control (1/4 throttle with 25-30 degrees flaps results in flare attitude) without touching the other controls in a 5-7 mph slightly gusty wind. Great aileron response all the way down to and after stall, elevator response a little sensitive at high speed and positive to stall (a little tail heavy) with the rudder being slightly mushy at anything other than high speed. It was my every day flyer, and will be again after my refresh.

Rob
Last edited by RobMason; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
One step at a time......
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Bwigger - it will fly great on the .61's. This is my first and only twin and I have no other twin experience. If you have flown sport aerobatic and other warbirds (as seen in your pics) you will have no problem with the mossie. Flies very similiar to the TF Spitfire despite being a twin. The plane is a real pussycat to fly as long as the engines are reliable. If you have an engine out, need to cut the other throttle immediately or it WILL spin and not recover. Have seen 3 Mossies (2 Holman 124" and 1 BT) crash this way. If anything - make sure the motors run reliably in all attitudes, throttle settings and especially going to full after sitting and idling (takeoffs and go arounds are critical). Much more important than getting them syncronized. I've had mine out by 1000 rpm at full throttle and never noticed the difference. The mossie is very stable and forgiving and lands like a heavy trainer. Very locked in and stable on landing with easy attitude and altitude control with throttle. I have landed mine with only throttle control (1/4 throttle with 25-30 degrees flaps results in flare attitude) without touching the other controls in a 5-7 mph slightly gusty wind. Great aileron response all the way down to and after stall, elevator response a little sensitive at high speed and positive to stall (a little tail heavy) with the rudder being slightly mushy at anything other than high speed. It was my every day flyer, and will be again after my refresh.

Rob
Thanks for the info Rob. I feel tons better now that I know I got enough power.
I'll keep note on your flying suggestions and see where it goes from there.

Bruce/Rob
One of the painting products I used was the two part epoxy paint from KlassKote. It looks really good when applied with a clear coat. If you haven't tried that yet, you might want to look into them. Because of the scale that I've gotten into, I've got a portable paint booth setup in my back yard and I use an automotive sprayer for all but the detail stuff.
Just an other way of doing it.
Ben
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Ben how much does KlassKote cost for the can? and how much volume is in a can?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwigger View Post
Thanks for the info Rob. I feel tons better now that I know I got enough power.
I'll keep note on your flying suggestions and see where it goes from there.
Ben
Ben,

No idea if you have seen anything on my Mossie that I maidened earlier this year. It flies brilliantly on 2 x RCV60SP engines - the geared ones that run at half rpm, the props are 16x12 running at 5,300rpm hence not a direct equivalent to a normal 4 stroke. I agree with Rob's comments on flight characteristics, I was all worked up for the Maiden and it flew with good control authority and very smoothly and I got into the groove very quickly in the first flight. Second flight doing low level passes down the strip and pulling up into large wingovers which looked just the business. After all the worrying prior to the first flights flying was straightforward and pleasant.

Peter.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Do a search on youtube for Rob Mason Mosquito. Have 3 videos of mine there with full flight with aborted landing, aerobatics, and 3rd one with low-ish inverted passes and inverted figure 8. I have flown mine Very non scale :-)

Rob
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
here you guys go this is one of Robs flights.
deHavilland Mosquito performing Inverted Passes 10-11-09 (0 min 52 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
that is still one of my tamer flights. I love this plane