HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
380 Posts
I am flying mine with .50 2 strokes and it was great at sea level bit it is marginal at 2500' and just under 15 lbs. I would hesitate to fly it on 52 4strokes at any altitude with the weight you are planning. It would fly it , but would not have a comfortable margin and could get behind the power curve. Saw that happen to one with he same power as mine but all the scale goodies and over 17lbs
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
380 Posts
Take a look in the .82 range for 4 strokes. The Saito's should fit and have plenty of oomph. My engines are mounted sideways - not great for scale bit good for cooling and don't have to use on board glow for reliability. Seen too many (4) mossies bite the dust that way. Flame out after idle
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old May 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
thanks Rob .. I 'll be checking my size again be for ordering but you have just over 3" from center line to mount an engine even though this is a big cowl, I don't plan on moving and I live on the east cost MD. you cant get much lower than where I live. when the Polar cap melts we'll be under water first I'm right by the bay.

So today I did some soldering made the control horn for the gear solder it to the pin then solder the cross brace to keep the mains spread the same distance and this is what the mud flap mounts to and mounted the pivots.

It does not look like much progress but there are about 100 variables with all of these parts coming together so you are forever checking and rechecking the movement and clearance.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Last edited by splinterz25; May 20, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Well I kept on working this evening and add a extra spring I can't take credit for the idea though I saw it on another build RSCB
this guy has done really fantastic likeness of just about every detail, especially the landing gear, (he has a mill and lathe) but it is really nice work I think it's the only 93" Mossie over on that site. I did how ever change it to fit my design, now I have to Epoxy glue the 1/4" ply that the front pivot screws to and hook up the front springs. Then it's on to making the servo brackets and mounting the servo and ball links w/ turn buckle. after that I will run a few tests to see if the retract servo from HiTec will handle lifting this gear.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
412 Posts
Another option might be a 61 four stroke, they are close to the size and weight of a 52 but have closer to the power of a 70
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old May 21, 2012, 06:38 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,045 Posts
I think anything other than an RCS or electric motor will stick out of the cowl. Look on the bright side, you won't have to worry about cooling with the cylinder heads sticking out.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by umdpru; May 21, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
I think anything other than an RCS or electric motor will stick out of the cowl.
This is part of the reason that I went electric. I never seem to have this issue. I only fly scale models so I can be a constant headache.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
This is part of the reason that I went electric. I never seem to have this issue. I only fly scale models so I can be a constant headache.
I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO SAY THAT

But I think I may have an answer so I don't have to cut up the cowl if when I make the cowl there's a lower intake scoop that I'll be incorporating in the cowl, on the plans it show this being added after w/ made out of a carved block of balsa.
and if I cheat and bring the lower part of the cowl down just a bit this will give me extra room , this is another good reason for making your own cowls.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:35 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
this is another good reason for making your own cowls.
TADA!!! we have a winner!
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 22, 2012, 01:05 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
thanks willsonman now I just have to do it witch wont be long because you can only take playing w/ the landing gear for so many days in a row and I have many other things that I can work on now so I will be jumping around more than usual.
But today I glued in the firewall and the gear mounting wall and skinned the chin, Brian calls for 1/32"thick ply on the inside of the nacelle but I'll be using 3/4 oz fiberglass and resin. then I may take a break and carve a new plug the first on came out ok but i learned how to work w/ this pink foam a bit more and i should be able to knock out a plug fairly fast this foam is sow easy to carve compared to wood, and that will be some thing fun and take my mind off the landing gear for a while, and I really want to see how this lost foam method works. so check the progress.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:56 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Fiberglass applied
Old May 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
Went and bought a band saw yesterday so i'm on to the next step. First time I've used one and was very happy with the results.
joneswag is offline Find More Posts by joneswag
Old May 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswag View Post
Went and bought a band saw yesterday so i'm on to the next step. First time I've used one and was very happy with the results.
Very nice you will use this for every thing!! looks like your cutting your own wooden parts or could if need be, Just be careful this is the most dangerous tool in the shop always back up your cut with a piece of scrap better to cut that than your thumb. and they take off thumbs so fast.
good luck w/ the saw and can't wait to see your progress.

Bruce
Old May 23, 2012, 03:57 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
servo mount