HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
Not once the foam is sealed with glass. A great processed explanation from J so I would run with that.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Not once the foam is sealed with glass. A great processed explanation from J so I would run with that.
you told me right you just didn't say to remove the layer of glass from the plaster mold and fill any holes from bubbles. going to get some pollycrylic any suggestions on on which water base product to get? i never use water base don't like it but have to w/ this foam, my DEFT sealer will melt this it's lacquer based.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old May 14, 2012, 12:16 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
Minwax polycrylic
http://www.lowes.com/pd_45887-24-655...%2B&facetInfo=
also at HD. Comes in a smaller size as well.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Minwax polycrylic
http://www.lowes.com/pd_45887-24-655...%2B&facetInfo=
also at HD. Comes in a smaller size as well.
I won't use Minwax but Rust-Oleum has a water base.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_128004-90-26...3D2&facetInfo=
Old May 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
did some carving but didn't make much progress and don't like the intake scoop to wide and to big!! I'll be redoing this part and I still have to drill some holes so I can slide the plug in place on the wing to get that part of the shape correct. The one thing about this foam is where it has been glued it as hard as rock and the rest is as soft as sponge so when carving it's easy to over grind beside the glue spots. I'm use to wood where it's the same density all the way through but this foam is very easy to use other wise and correcting the problems won't be very hard I'll try the fast n final first and if that doesn't work I'll glue in some more pink foam and start again. I don't think this stuff is very messy at all but then I was a cabinet maker and worked w/ plexi, corian. fountain head,lexan. mdf, partical board, masionite.bondo. OH yea and WOOD!! all of that stuff makes very fine dust when sanded, I guess I'm just use to it.
Last edited by splinterz25; May 14, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
Yeah, I usually just tack the pieces together. Just a small dab about 4-6 inches apart. It will hold the pieces together quite well without making all the hard spots. Once sanded to shape I fill any gaps with lw spackle.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
thanks wilsonman....you know I went back to report194 and Max Aitken's plane didn't have the scoops on it at all. But I like having them for cooling so I either find another subject or not put them on the cowl, I wanted rockets on my plane and his is shown w/ drop tanks but I'm sure they switched them depending on each mission Think I'll sleep on this one.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
I think the plane that I will do is FB Mark VI, PZ-446 of No 143 Sq.
I will have do some more research I know this plane was at Banff Scotland 1939-45. but can't find any info. on the pilot YET. ....If you look at the VIRT. FIN behind the mans head you can see some kind of marker and on the nose of the FUSE. behind the 303's there is another marker of some kind I would love to find out what these are if any one has any ideas about this please help.
Last edited by splinterz25; May 15, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
this one is nice too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileeHavilland_Mosquito_NACA_1945.jpg

mamethot is offline Find More Posts by mamethot
Old May 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
thanks for the photo mamethot...I have that one on my hard drive and was going to do the USA Mossie but I wanted a fighter bomber night fighter with rockets and the planes out of Banff were equip with rockets to attack shipping in Norway. That plane in the picture was photo recon. with no guns at all.

Well I was able to drill some holes in the plug and slide it on the wing to get a better idea of shaping to mach the profile of the wing, I will be able to just cut the bottom part where the scoop is off so I still may be able to use this plug. WELL SEE
Old May 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Quote:
The one thing about this foam is where it has been glued it as hard as rock and the rest is as soft as sponge so when carving it's easy to over grind beside the glue spots.
When I have had to carve foam like that after layering it, I will usually laminate it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I have found that it sands "ok". I have also seen others laminate foam but not let the glue get t othe edges where they have to sand so that there isn't a hard edge.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
When I have had to carve foam like that after layering it, I will usually laminate it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I have found that it sands "ok". I have also seen others laminate foam but not let the glue get t othe edges where they have to sand so that there isn't a hard edge.
umdpru..... this is a learning process for me never used foam befor to make molds.

The 3M spray 77 is what I started w/ but it melted holes if you look at one of the photos you can see where I filled it. next plug will be easier by keeping the glue to the center. this one may not work anyway and I may start over we'll see.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
hhmm, interesting. I have to admit to never using the pink foam. I have 2" blue foam that the 3m77 doesn't attack. I wonder if it will attack if it's applied too think such that the solvents are more concentrated? I usually just do a LIGHT spray coating.

White gorilla glue would be good too. It has the consistency of a lightweight Depron foam when it's cured.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,662 Posts
The old formula of S77 did not attack foam but a few years ago they reformulated it with acetone. That is what eats at the foam. I prefer the white GG over the amber just because of ease of use of the bottles. You really should try to squeese the bottle to get all the air out after you are done using it. I find that after about 1/2 bottle of the amber it get more and more difficult. The smaller bottles of the white are a snap and I just prefer the white anyway. Not sure what the difference is but I prefer the white.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,210 Posts
Willsonman & umdpru.. the spray 77 that I have is at least 10 years old and still melts the foam you may be right about the amount though. I have the amber GG and on the second plug i just put it to the center going to carve on this one today and I'll let you know how it works.
Bruce