SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Here are the engine mounts that I ordered today.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBFXW&P=SM
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 04:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Here are the engine mounts that I ordered today.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBFXW&P=SM
I have used these on a couple of planes with good results, the only mod i made to them was to gring a flat surface on the bottom where the engine mount bolts come through so that the nuts have a flat surface to tighten against
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Got plans,laser cut kit,canopy set and a load of balsa sheet so far.I want to get all the gear to build this before I do anything.Where I live we have no model shops so I got to buy on the net.Most of the gear I have has come from the USA as shops in the UK are either too expensive or they wont send to the Channel Islands.Watching your build though.Addicted to it!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrio View Post
Got plans,laser cut kit,canopy set and a load of balsa sheet so far.I want to get all the gear to build this before I do anything.Where I live we have no model shops so I got to buy on the net.Most of the gear I have has come from the USA as shops in the UK are either too expensive or they wont send to the Channel Islands.Watching your build though.Addicted to it!
Motrio.. If there's any thing I can help you with like what materials I have used so far just let me know and I will try to give you an idea how much of each you may need. I have a lot of balsa on hand from other builds so I didn't place an order for every thing I needed for this build but I can get you close . I feel stupid though I thought you were in the USA New Jersey and the town of st. peter not in the English channel, on an island.
Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:46 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Well since I am waiting for my order w/ my springs,turn buckles and ballinks from tower, I started to make the plug for the cowls out of the pink foam this is a first for me. but it seams to work fairly easy at first I glued it w/ spray 77 from 3M it works but melts it in places I knew about the gorilla glue but didn't feel like going to the store again, but ended up going anyway I waited till every body was eating their mother's day dinner and then went (nobody in the store) so I got some Fast 'N Final,Plaster of Paris,Gorilla Glue. Then I got back and started to glue you wet the surfaces w/ water then spread a thin layer of glue then clamp and it's drying now while I post I'll go back and do some more shaping later on this evening. this is a one time casting method I saw on these forums and since I have to make a right and left cowl I thought I would try this way for the Mossie,the P-38 will get a reusable mold I'll show that when the time comes. this will be a custom fit just for this build, if I can pull it off. so check out the start!
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,713 Posts
Since we are having some moist weather here in MD you will find that these days... you really do not need to add any water. Does not hurt but I've had wet days where the glue just oozes out when I apply only a very small amount. Looking sharp in pink!
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Since we are having some moist weather here in MD you will find that these days... you really do not need to add any water. Does not hurt but I've had wet days where the glue just oozes out when I apply only a very small amount. Looking sharp in pink!
No blue foam I was lucky to get this Lowes does not carry it and none in this thickness. here goes nothing so far its very easy to work with are you supost to wax the foam? so the plaster doesn't stick? or does it just melt out when you poor the thinner on the foam? When I read J Morgans thread one of the guys that tried this said he used a air gun and blew it till it came out and he saved the plug. I know you wax the plaster mold very good, I'll keep ya posted good or bad.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
umdpru's Avatar
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,086 Posts
are you going to finish the foam surface prior to using the plaster of paris?JMorgan usually fiberglasses his molds if he's going to re-use them a few times (foam molds are really only good for a few uses).

He also does the lost foam technique where he carves the sacrificial foam plug and lays up his fiberglass part directlly over the mold. He then uses acetone to melt the foam out. I've seen his pull out the major chunks of foam first and then use the acetone to melt the remnants out.

The lost foam method is really only good for one-offs. Are you going to carve two foam plugs?
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
are you going to finish the foam surface prior to using the plaster of paris?JMorgan usually fiberglasses his molds if he's going to re-use them a few times (foam molds are really only good for a few uses).

He also does the lost foam technique where he carves the sacrificial foam plug and lays up his fiberglass part directlly over the mold. He then uses acetone to melt the foam out. I've seen his pull out the major chunks of foam first and then use the acetone to melt the remnants out.

The lost foam method is really only good for one-offs. Are you going to carve two foam plugs?
Yes it will be two foam plugs on this plane there is a right and left cowl so you have to make two .. It's a challenge to sat the least!
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,713 Posts
The lost foam method is messy but very effective. I think if you apply a single layer of glass first then wax that, you are in for a better experience. I've also seen J use the hairspray method. Its used as a release agent.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
The lost foam method is messy but very effective. I think if you apply a single layer of glass first then wax that, you are in for a better experience. I've also seen J use the hairspray method. Its used as a release agent.
but do you put anything on the foam plug? or just plaster?
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,713 Posts
That is what I was trying to say. You can just cover the plug in one layer of glass for your plaster mold. Other methods I have seen are just to coat with WBPU but the finish is less that stellar IMO. Foam is forgiving but be careful not to ding it. You want to cover it up asap. It will ding just by looking at it. That is why I would suggest a layer of glass first. The weight of the plaster may be of some concern since you are doing such a large part. Once the glass is cured you can sand it to a perfect finish and spot fill where needed with body filler putty like J does. It seems like a lot of work but once done it really is not. To make two other parts (foam with glass, plaster mold) to make an additional final product seems odd but the weight savings and finish are worth the hassle if you are doing a build of this caliber.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
I thought when I read J's thread he said to put a thin layer of resin in side of the plaster mold and let it get tacky then start w/ 3/4 oz cloth and work your way up w/ layers? So befor you put the plaster on hair spray? why not wax? don't mean to sound stupid but never done this plaster lost foam method befor.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,713 Posts
Yeah, that is after the mold is made. So after you remove the foam plug from the plaster lay your resin and let it get tacky.

The hair spray can be used as a release agent for the plug or the part itself. If you are more comfortable with wax then go for it. I would try it on a smaller part personally. Just another technique you can try.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Jack of all master of none
splinterz25's Avatar
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Yeah, that is after the mold is made. So after you remove the foam plug from the plaster lay your resin and let it get tacky.

The hair spray can be used as a release agent for the plug or the part itself. If you are more comfortable with wax then go for it. I would try it on a smaller part personally. Just another technique you can try.
well I just asked the man him self! you know me I do the full size and make it work ! I don't have time for test parts and if it's that bad I'll do it again. the hair spray won't melt this foam? this is no messier than balsa
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold For the Scale Builder: A Set of Brian Taylor Plans Vultee BT-13 W/Cowl & Canopy stevster Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Apr 07, 2011 03:27 PM
Question Contact for Brian Taylor Plans pgleesonuk The Builders Workshop 4 Sep 13, 2006 10:48 AM
Brian Taylor Mosquito plans CraigO Scale Kit/Scratch Built 11 Nov 05, 2003 05:43 PM
Brian Taylor Mosquito FB Vl electrified TasMike Scale Kit/Scratch Built 0 Nov 05, 2003 06:32 AM
FS: 69" P-51 Brian Taylor plans and Parts Ken Lapointe Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Feb 05, 2003 07:57 PM