Originally Posted by willsonman View Post
need some butter?..salt? Beer?
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,032 Posts
A good alternative to music wire would have been steel welding rod. It's plenty strong just not hardened like the music wire.

Are you going to include functional oleo struts in your main gear?
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
A good alternative to music wire would have been steel welding rod. It's plenty strong just not hardened like the music wire.

Are you going to include functional oleo struts in your main gear?
I didn't know that you could get welding rod in 1/4" thick- but Tower has it and it's very inexpensive and comes in 36"long pieces. No I was not planing on doing functional oleo's on this build there are already very many parts the way Brian Taylor has designed this landing gear, so I was just staying w/ his plan for the most part but you know me I made some changes to suit the way I'm building without a mill or drill press!
Old May 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,124 Posts
Really nice work, the gear is quite the project all on its own
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old May 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
SOCAL
Joined Jul 2006
64 Posts
More excellent work on that landing gear! Even though welding rod would be easier to machine I'm sure it would bend on every landing. Back when I built race cars we would use welding rod to lay out a 3D shape of something we were going to make as it is easy to bend. That saved cutting a lot of tubing several times and still having it too short! I don't know if welding rod could be made harder by heat treatment. Perhaps someone that does a lot of gas welding could answer that. Music wire is a good material for landing gear as its springyness will let it absorb bumps without taking a permanent bend. (Unless it gets a very hard hit).

For Peterf: Kavan has a list of dealers in the UK:
http://www.kavanrc.com/cgi-bin/dpsma...FV5.html?E+Kav

(see "store locator" if it does not come up on the link). Or you could order from Kavan in Germany.
xfly-er is offline Find More Posts by xfly-er
Old May 10, 2012, 01:16 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Thanks .. Ken and xfly-er It is quite a project just hope it works, I think it would be very hard to bend these short pieces of 1/4" music wire it would tear free from the wood first.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Guys I'm trying to find a good link for springs to complete the landing gear only two are called for but I think I'll need four If you look at the drawings in the photos you can see the size needed. any help would be appreciated!
Old May 10, 2012, 07:43 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,592 Posts
Uhmmm.... never forget the all-time hardware supplier
http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=hhaj34
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Uhmmm.... never forget the all-time hardware supplier
http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=hhaj34
Thanks willsonman ...This time I didn't forget about Mcmaster you just have to buy larger amounts than you need some times, those are compression - springs I need expansion springs. So what I did was went to the Tower on line cat. and found some for holding headers on cars but they look like they will do the trick and you can buy two at a time or in this case four. $ 10 bucks or so.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5CPX802&P=K
Old May 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,592 Posts
http://www.mcmaster.com/#extension-springs/=hhc74m
True... I usually mess something up on the first two times. I like extra stuff.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 11, 2012, 09:02 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
these are the wheels that I found I will have to make hubcaps to make them look like the Mossie's.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV60&P=SM
Old May 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
I've been working on roughing out some parts today and will post some photos a little later if I can.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Good man
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old May 11, 2012, 09:56 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
well I did some more grinding of parts today and I think tomorrow I will go buy a die grinder my Dremal just is taking to long and I'm sure that I have shorten it life w/ this project, this is when the battery Dremal just isn't as good as the one w/ a plug. the die grinder will let me make faster progress. so it doesn't look like much but the second locking part is done and started to grind in the grove for the second swivel. the ohther thing I did was rough out some blanks for some of the other parts and made one of the control horns by solder two pieces together this will get solder to one of the shafts at the top where it mounts to the plane. I will use a turn buckle w/ ball joints to the servo or at that is what I'm thinking at this point, and will may go w/ 440 size ball joints and turn buckles because of the size and weight of this set of gear. so check my SLOW progress but it is progress never the less.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
well I got a bit more completed today and ordered the wheels,turnbuckles,balllinks,engine mounts,music wire,wheel collars and a bunch of building supplies. I still have to drill through the end of the main locking shafts and hook up the other swivel mounting brackets. There also has to be a spreader bracket made that keeps the main shafts parallel, then I have to start to make the gear look scale w/ the mud guards and hydraulic lines..etc.