HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:33 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Here, gentlemen, we see the true form the the term "scratch build." Way more ambitious than I would ever undertake and its a pleasure to see it progress. I want to drive down to the city to see this when its all done.
Willsonman ...You may have a bit of a wait befor I finish this bird
but more than welcome when ever you want to make the trip. still have a lot of details to add and several custom parts to make and I'm in no rush..
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2007
412 Posts
I wish i had your patience! what will operate the retracts ?
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear View Post
I wish i had your patience! what will operate the retracts ?
rupert the bear... I want to use a retract servo from HiTec if I can, and there will be springs involved if you look close at the drawings you can see the spring. they are only showing it on one side this may need to be two springs one on each side but won't know this till I finish building one and running a mock up test.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Looking good - the original plane had very light weight wheels, I have the Unitracts set and they originally sold wheels weighing 3oz each and had one spring on each retract. They no longer sell such light weight wheels and I ended up with 2 springs per retract as the wheels I ended up with were around 5oz each.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:35 PM
SOCAL
Joined Jul 2006
65 Posts
Wheels

Check the Kavan wheels from Sig.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...mb_02Wheels_01

5" are under 70gm (3 oz). If you do not have the adapter for a standard bicycle type pump you can get one at a bike shop for the small stems used on road bikes. Fits the Kavan threaded inflator.

Excellent work you are doing with regular tools. I am inspired!
xfly-er is offline Find More Posts by xfly-er
Old May 01, 2012, 10:35 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Thanks for the link.. xfly-er I was hoping to get diamond pattern for the wheels if I can find some light enough. So I made some more parts yesterday, but couldn't post because Comcast mistakenly unhooked my cable and I just got my service back. still have a ways to go but check out the progress.
Old May 01, 2012, 02:06 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,158 Posts
You are doing the landing gear all wrong
You should be making at least 10 sets of everything so you can sell to the rest of us that dont have your talents

Every time I think about building this plane I change my mind because of the landing gear.

Your doing a fantastic job, well done
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old May 01, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfly-er View Post
Check the Kavan wheels from Sig.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...mb_02Wheels_01

5" are under 70gm (3 oz). If you do not have the adapter for a standard bicycle type pump you can get one at a bike shop for the small stems used on road bikes. Fits the Kavan threaded inflator.
xfly-er,

Thanks for the information, these will fit into the Mosquito I already have built - I used Sullivan SkyLite wheels at 5.4oz each, the Kavan ones are less than this for two wheels (2.6oz each) so I could swap out and save a few ounces, which will be welcome. The only thing is they are harder to find in the UK.

Thanks,

Peter.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:04 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterf View Post
xfly-er,

thanks for the information, these will fit into the mosquito i already have built - i used sullivan skylite wheels at 5.4oz each, the kavan ones are less than this for two wheels (2.6oz each) so i could swap out and save a few ounces, which will be welcome. The only thing is they are harder to find in the uk.

Thanks,

peter.
do either of you guys or anybody know what tread they ran on these birds? I have seen it w/ all kinds and the tail wheel is very strange also. Maybe it was what ever they had on hand? OH YEA IF SOME ONE HAD A C&C MILL THEY COULD DO THE PARTS FOR THIS VERY EASY AND SELL THEM AS A KIT. YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO PAY WHAT I WOULD ASK FOR THESE PARTS.
Old May 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
do either of you guys or anybody know what tread they ran on these birds? I have seen it w/ all kinds and the tail wheel is very strange also. Maybe it was what ever they had on hand? OH YEA IF SOME ONE HAD A C&C MILL THEY COULD DO THE PARTS FOR THIS VERY EASY AND SELL THEM AS A KIT. YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO PAY WHAT I WOULD ASK FOR THESE PARTS.
The tail wheel was very odd, it was self castering (not steerable) and the pattern was to prevent the wheel from shimmying, it had a sort of inverted V shape. A lot of the early photos show a square block tread, but I also have diamond block tread and circumferential grooves. I even have a photo of a museum exhibit with diamond treead on one wheel and grooved on the other.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:24 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE WORRIED ABOUT WEIGHT I FOUND THESE WHEELS. click on tec notes for specs.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...18486&Q=1#tech

there less$$$ but solid foam..... I like the ones w/ air but want diamond or the square tread also cant seem to find any with both options.....Guess I will have to make the treads my self?
Last edited by splinterz25; May 01, 2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: quare
Old May 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,658 Posts
I think a nice file will cut rubber ones nicely. You have made everything else so well I see this as a minor setback.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
I think a nice file will cut rubber ones nicely. You have made everything else so well I see this as a minor setback.
axacto blade and the file for the diamond pattern but the square pattern would be much harder to dup.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
The best wheels can be found at Glennis but very expensive and heavy I am led to believe but ultra scale and they do all the different tread patterns. These are wider than most, possibly would not fit into the Unitracts retracts but would probably fit into home made ones per the plan as the lower legs are not as thick as the Unitracts ones.

http://www.glennis.com/britishwarbirdgallery.htm then click on the detail gallery for the Mosquito.