SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
thanks ...Ilkka I changed the bend in the wire and made sure that the bend was at the hinge line and it seams to work now but I think I still want a thicker music wire so there is no fludder.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
Alright it seams that the changes that I made to the music wire will work still may change the thickness so that means ordering some thicker wire the next time I place an order. I have plenty of stuff to work on now so I started to move on to bending the wire for the the FLAPS this is a much heaver wire and as I got started bending I broke my vice it wasn't very heavy duty so off to the store I went to get a new and better vice didn't want a big vice wanted to be able to do my work in the living room like always so found one after three stores but it had no jaws. So I striped the ones off of the old vice and mounted them on the new one. Needless to say the day was shot by the time I got that finished. I was able to work on the mount for the servo and finished drilling the holes in the first one and started to finish the second, maybe tomorrow I can get something accomplished.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
Well I went ahead and remounted the AILERON servo bracket and bent the first wire for the FLAPS the wire is so hard and thick I had to heat each bend w/ a torch till RED HOT to achieve the bend now just need to cut the ends to length then make the brass swivel point & mounting tabs.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
Well even though it looks like I got the bend to match the drawing well that's WRONG the drawing is not very clear the side profile is very hard to see and understand but by looking at another build I can see what I need to achieve. the wire I have been trying to use is a bit on the heavy side so I will order some more suitable wire. So I shifted over to the landing gear to see what I could get accomplished went and bought a small grinder to help make these parts and got started on the locking parts and was making good head way but when I tried to drill the hole for 2-56 bolt I broke about 6 drill bits so far I must have hardened the steal when grinding, so I will go look for some better drill bits maybe carbide if I can find some,so there's not too much to show but look at what I have so far.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
Where did all of the people that were flowing this thread go ?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
castle rock, colorado
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Still here Bruce. Just awe struck by your skills! Being a red-neck, my vocabulary is rather limited. I don't have words for what I observe you doing. keep going, we're watching.
Linn
lgarber is offline Find More Posts by lgarber
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
Still watching
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Jun 2007
455 Posts
Rest assured we are still here sorry for the lack of recent feedback
Keep up the good work
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
Thanks guys ...I haven't been making great strides on this build like I had wanted to this is the most involved build I have done as of yet Brian's methods are very involved but thanks for every bodies support.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Still watching and learning.Getting ready to start my build!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:44 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
408 Posts
Still here. waiting to see what you are going to do with the gear and then mabye trying to convince you to make me a set Just kidding. Switched jobs and have been busy training but keeping up with the thread. Looka great so far.
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:31 AM
What goes up, must come down
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
I joined this forum a short while ago, but am watching your builds carefully and with much appreciation. I just restarted my Brian Taylor 69" Spitfire XIV, after my cat destroyed the first attempt with her claws 6 years ago
Design75 is offline Find More Posts by Design75
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
is that music wire?
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,460 Posts
Thanks to every body that responded I thought I had lost every bodies interest but glad you all are still there. Yes umdpru that is music wire and it's very hard, what I had to do to drill through it was aneal the part I needed to drill through, this means to heat the steal red hot and NOT cool of quickly let it air cool this softens the metal enough to be able to drill through but it's still very hard. So I was able to get some more parts cut out and ground to shape, and a set screw and two bolts added. it's slow going but it can be done so here's what I have so far.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
Here, gentlemen, we see the true form the the term "scratch build." Way more ambitious than I would ever undertake and its a pleasure to see it progress. I want to drive down to the city to see this when its all done.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman