HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
Thanks for the vid... essar....I've seen the movie many times and there is some great close up shots of the Mossie in there, wish there were more photos in color of other squd's. I haven't had much luck finding many and very few in color.

Bruce,
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:55 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
Well I started to hinge the AILERONS and make the pockets for the rotary system and frame out the servo mount, still working on all of the bugs yet taking my time making sure every thing is lined up since only one side of each the AILERON and the WING have been skined so far. This makes it much more challenging, the hinges appear to be working even though they are in rather far gluing them may prove to be another challenge. Still need to glue in mounting blocks and drill the servo mount w/ counter sunk screws, so check it out and if you have any ideas on this or see some thing I missed feel free to chime in.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
This is a neat thread and I've enjoyed following the progress. Thanks for posting the pictures and good luck with the project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
The Traplet spinners are good, the right shape for the Mossie, most aluminium spinners do not have the right profile, they are too pointy to look right.

Peterf (the same one as on RCSB)
Peterf, I saw your youtube videos, and it looks and sounds good! I can't view your build thread over on the other forum though. I'm curious how your airplane will do with the higher pitch props on the RCV engines.
flyrod is offline Find More Posts by flyrod
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
329 Posts
flyrod,

It flies very well on the 16x12 props (running at half rpm of normal engine they are equivalent to 6" pitch), it gives it a nice scale speed but I do have to fly between 1/2 and full throttle. I have decided I will not swap over the the 15x14" props now I have had more flights, the 16x12s are fine for me, I am not after a hot rod and the larger diameter ones give me some more acceelration on take off. The video showd a good scale flight speed in my view. I calculated the pitch speed of the props at around 5300rpm is 60mph and at 1:7 scale this is 420mph full scale equivalent - I do not know what the actual model speed is though.

Peterf.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
alright got a shipment in yesterday.... Got some heavy gauge wire to make the landing gear some thin plastic to make the light lenses and the RAM lights bunch of fiberglass cloth, glue, wood,screws, nuts & bolts ..etc still need to go to lowes and get blue foam and gorilla glue vinyl spackle so I can make the plugs for the cowls oh yea and plaster also. Now I can really start to get into this build lots of things to make now!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jun 2007
402 Posts
More great work put a few drops of oil or vaseline on the pivot part of the hinge so they don't get glued solid
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear View Post
More great work put a few drops of oil or vaseline on the pivot part of the hinge so they don't get glued solid
great TIP..... rupert that's just what I do and it has worked every time since I started doing that and go easy w/ the glue making sure to get enough inside of the hole only!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Got laser cut kit from Traplet.Laid out the plans I got from US Wing in USA(EBAY).All parts to the plan.Gonna order spinners,cowls and undercarriage cowls from them.Gonna take your advice about engines(OS FS 95 4 strokes).Keep up the good work.Starting my build today!
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrio View Post
Got laser cut kit from Traplet.Laid out the plans I got from US Wing in USA(EBAY).All parts to the plan.Gonna order spinners,cowls and undercarriage cowls from them.Gonna take your advice about engines(OS FS 95 4 strokes).Keep up the good work.Starting my build today!
Cool I'm glad there is going to be another Mossie being built I hope you are going to post it here so we can help each other!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
What size hinges are you using for your build.Ill have to order these as Jersey Channel Islands doesn't have RC model shop!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Cool I'm glad there is going to be another Mossie being built I hope you are going to post it here so we can help each other!
No worries!If I get stuck with a problem I'll look at this thread for answers!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
motrio... I'm using Robart hinges 3/16" & 1/8".. here is the link where I got them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXET57&P=ML
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,122 Posts
Alright still working on the rotary system and finished up the servo mount and hatch moved on to the set screws and rotary shaft, then glued in the pocket. they show that you can put the servo at a 45 degree angle or at 90 degrees so for the ease and space I have chosen 90 degrees but it's not working I think my shaft may not be thick enough and is flexing when the servo is activated so befor I redo every thing I'm going to try a thicker shaft. has any one run into this situation befor and should I have just went w/ it at a 45 degree angle to begin with. some help please
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:31 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,656 Posts
mmm. maybe too thin for how long it is. The torsion on the shaft may be buckling due to its length. A thicker shaft may be in order to remedy that.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:33 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
320 Posts
The tip of the shaft should enter the pocket in (near) 90 deg. angle in relation to the hinge line.

The tip of your shaft is pointing in wrong direction. It is almost parallel to the hinge line instead of being perpendicular. Try rotating the shaft 180 degrees and making the shaft bend 45 degrees. Be sure that the bend on the shaft is exactly at hinge line.

Hope this helps.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti