SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:23 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Thanks for responding guys.... Brian's weight was 13 lbs and the wing span is 81" so far I haven't added to much more though it may seem that way maybe an extra lb. or two and if I make the landing gear like he did that will keep my weight down. Most guys are buying the Traplet gear w/ air tank and heavier wheels. And there is a guy on the other site I post on that has just finished his plane and he is running RCV 60's that weigh the same as this engine. I'm right at the edge w/ having to much power w/ this engine I will just have to back off a bit and be easy on the take offs. Rupert..... the hing you are describing sounds like the same style as Brian's, it realy clean but a whole lot of precise work and if you get a little bit off its trash or will be a real pain to make it look good. So I think I'll make both the FLAPS & AILERONS first and have a look. Did I mention that I'll be using a rotary system for the AILERONS as well so you will not see pushrods at all,another reason to use Robart hinges. and I trying to keep the weight to about 15-16 LBS. if I can....
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Well today I started to work on the right wings TE and LE prep, this was the wing that I didn't leave enough overhang on the AFT end. So what I had to do was to splice on some sections of skin and add the triangles to the under side. It took a bit of time but came out fairly nice once glassed and painted you'll never know that it was there. so check the progress.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:59 AM
SOCAL
Joined Jul 2006
69 Posts
Dh98

Splinterz, On the plan that I have Brian has a note about engines. OS 40 4 strokes were used initially. Then changed to 46s finally Laser 70s were used. So your 95s should have plenty of power. You could use bigger props and lower RPM and get a more "scale" sound and flight.
BT's aileron hinge seems to have been designed to replicate the full size plane. See photos. In the photo with the aileron removed you can see the cable pulley that moved the aileron. There is a short pushrod from this pulley to the aileron, most of it covered by a shroud. So your internal actuators will look good. Also BT's hinge makes the aileron removeable.
The "screens" that people talk about in the cooler intakes, between the engines and the fuse, are actually the coolers/heat exchangers (see photo). Inboard, to the right in photo, the small unit is for cabin heat (air coming out could be sent to the cabin or out under the wing), large center unit is for engine coolant/cooling and on the left is the oil cooler.
On mossie dot org there are more than 100 photos of HJ711 which is where these came from. HJ711 is a FB so you could probably find out all you need to know about it there.
xfly-er is online now Find More Posts by xfly-er
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:42 PM
Jersey, St Peter
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
this build is getting awesome.You started something big Spliterz
motrio is offline Find More Posts by motrio
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:29 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
thanks for the link and the vote of confidence xfly-er.... Most guys think that the 95's are a bit much but I would rather have more power than not enough in case my weight is on the high side and the larger three blade props sound like the way to go w/ this bird anyway for the scale look. Well so far today I was able to just about to finish up the right wing all but gluing on the tip and shaping, so then I moved on to the AILERONS and have cut out the blanks and maybe this evening I will start to glue the ribs and LE to get a better idea witch path I will take w/ the hinges.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
392 Posts
I'm using O.S. 50's on mine and it was just enough power at sea level. Now living up at 2500+' and it doesn't have the performance i would like. Thinking of going to saito 82's. The 95's will fly it great. It flies light even at 15 pounds.
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:36 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
I'm using O.S. 50's on mine and it was just enough power at sea level. Now living up at 2500+' and it doesn't have the performance i would like. Thinking of going to saito 82's. The 95's will fly it great. It flies light even at 15 pounds.
GOOD TO HEAR ...Rob Another person that thinks the 95's aren't to big for this plane... I've been working on the AILERON this morning and think I''l be using hinges by robart and putting them in the same place as on the real air craft. xfly-er's photo do not show the out board end of the AILERON but I have a walk around that shows there is no rod going to the wing tip there is a hinge but it's not all the way out it's in one rib, so that is where I'll be putting mine I will have to use a smaller one here because it is so thin. So what I have been doing all morning was gluing in the ribs one one of the AILERONS and figuring out where to put hinge blocks that would still look scale.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
In your photos with the Robart hinges, they are all shown well forward of the proper hinge line, which ICC level with the small holes in the aileron ribs. If you hinge in front of this, when the aileron travels up it may foul against the overhang of the upper sheeting as there will be more up movement of the aileron at the edge of the overhang. Just curious if the location of the hinges in the photos is where you are planning on having the hinge location.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:29 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
In your photos with the Robart hinges, they are all shown well forward of the proper hinge line, which ICC level with the small holes in the aileron ribs. If you hinge in front of this, when the aileron travels up it may foul against the overhang of the upper sheeting as there will be more up movement of the aileron at the edge of the overhang. Just curious if the location of the hinges in the photos is where you are planning on having the hinge location.
Peter there just placed there for the photo.... I know they have to go in deeper and will have to cut a slot in the LE just like on the real Mossie.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:13 AM
SOCAL
Joined Jul 2006
69 Posts
Dh 98

In a previous post I mentioned the Mosquito heat exchangers. Forgot to say that the ideas others have posted, drywall sandpaper, window screen, etc. all sound great. Even cheesecloth painted dull aluminum should look nice.
I have read in a few places that the air exiting the coolers under the wing added lift. I don't know if that is true, but it seems resonable. It may not do much on a scale model. It looks like on the plan that BT made his functional, that is air would flow through when flying. If someone was to use electric motors that would be a good spot for the ESC. Lots of cooling air.
xfly-er is online now Find More Posts by xfly-er
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Thanks for the photos xfly-er.... I'm not sure if you realize that I have already made the intake grills. So I was up early this morning and did some work on the AILERON.....LE I cut out two pieces from a sheet of 1/2" thick balsa that matched the shape of the LE and began to shape the radius and tapper. The other thing I did was sand a concave shape into the top side of the aft wing edge using a ALUM. tube w/ a similar shape that I glued some sand paper to w/ 3M spray 77. Then I glued in some hinges blocks at the TE of the wing to match the AILERON.I still haven't put the top piece of sheeting on the AILERON because I have to figure out the pocket that is required to make the rotary drive system work this is what I'll be doing this afternoon and mounting the servo and trying to figure this whole thing out so check the progress thus far.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
332 Posts
It has been a joy to follow the build. Your pictures are very informative. And there are a lot of them. It is easy to see you are a wood working professional.

I have never used rotary system (RDS) in my models but in all pictures I have seen the servo shaft is inclined to the hinge line. If you have a 45 deg. bend in the wire at hinge line and the wire is at 45 deg. angle to the hinge line, the end of the wire goes straight into the aileron slot. I could think this transmits the torque effectively and is less sensitive for slack. Just my 2 cents.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Klemetti View Post
It has been a joy to follow the build. Your pictures are very informative. And there are a lot of them. It is easy to see you are a wood working professional.

I have never used rotary system (RDS) in my models but in all pictures I have seen the servo shaft is inclined to the hinge line. If you have a 45 deg. bend in the wire at hinge line and the wire is at 45 deg. angle to the hinge line, the end of the wire goes straight into the aileron slot. I could think this transmits the torque effectively and is less sensitive for slack. Just my 2 cents.

ilkka
ilkka ... I had just placed the wire there for the photo w/ out the bend made yet... still haven't figured out the correct size yet there is still a bit to work out.

Bruce
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:47 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
633 Squadron Mosquito flight 1 of 2 (7 min 9 sec)

Not sure if you have seen this but definitly some great mosquito flying footage. Beautiful airplane!
Essar.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar