HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
No snow and warm temps. I have been doing more flying than anticipated and have gotten no-where with building!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:27 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
I don't blame you aaron we don't get this kind of a winter EVER that I can remember, well it is 2012 and every thing is kind of up with the weather all over the country is this the END I doubt it just major change w/ the weather pattern. Annnnny waaaay ...... I made the ALUM. clips for the wings first thing this morning, I just used some 1"x1" L and cut to suit. They will will be installed later, I also glassed the center brace and the top inside of the FUSE w/ 2oz. cloth and reg. 3M resin. the top of the wings will get this also just the part of the wing that goes into the FUSE, the rest of the plane will get 3/4 oz. cloth w/ sand sealer or poly I haven't made up mine witch yet. I also made the dihedral brace it will go in between the main spars and get screwed the ply box (temp) until I know every thing is correct then it will get epoxy glued in place. After every thing is good then I will install the ALUM clips w/ 440 bolts and T-nuts, so check this progress.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,661 Posts
I think that will be plenty strong Bruce. Great work on making this happen.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:36 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
Thanks for checking in Willsonman.... I think it will work The one thing I didn't talk about yesterday was on the dihedral brace that I made I took the light ply one that came w/ the laser cut parts used the angles to make another one that would fit in between the spars then cut the light ply brace down about 1/8" smaller than the new brace witch was made out of nine ply and then epoxy glued them together. once the light ply is glued to the ply box in the front of the FUSE it will be very strong, the thickness of the whole thing will then be about 3/4" w/ a lot of lams. w/ epoxy. The other thing is the front corner at the root where I cut away the tab needs reinforcing, so I will be epoxy gluing a block in there today, check the progress.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
46 Posts
Wow, you do some really nice work there. I've been working on one of these Mossies for a while now. It took a back seat for a while when my wife and I went travelling but now I'm at a similiar stage to you. I opted to break the wing outboard of the nacelles as transporting a one piece wing this size would be a monster, but now the fuse and centre section is huge . Just this weekend I started on building the nacelles having finally sorted the retracts.

This is roughly where I'm at so far:

Name: P1020740.jpg
Views: 168
Size: 304.3 KB
Description:
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
gramamj4.. I almost broke mine there but I figured as you have found out that the FUSE becomes very large that way, I see you have already have finished the FLAPS and AILERONS any tips on these I'm ordering my music wire in a few days and I 'm thinking about building the landing gear just like Brian Taylor shows on the plans, how were you planning to go with the gear? What you have done so far looks very good and I see that your going electric what size motors did you go with? Well feel free to ask any questions you may have and keep up the good work! and feel free to post any pics. of your build here even if yours is electric there aren't very many of these birds being built on any sites and I think this is the only one on RC groups. good luck w/ the rest of your build.

Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
46 Posts
Hey Bruse, call me a cheat if you like but I used Robart pin hinges all round as I started to build this as a simple sport model...... Yeah 'cos that's gonna happen! I tried build scale like retracts but was never really satisfied with the result and have since vowed to never build retracts again. For this I have taken units out of a 1.50 size Hangar 9 P-47 and rotated them 90 degrees to retracts backwards and modified the strut to be more realistic. The motors are Rimfire 1.20s' on 6s LiPo. Bit of an overkill but when I bought these I'd had some other motors that did not live up to their specs, however these do and I can always pull the power stick back, uh maybe .

I'll put up some more pics as I get further down the track,

Graham
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
grahamj4... I wouldn't call that cheating I thought about and still may use them if Brian's way is to much trouble. Can't wait to see more photos you can post here any time I always like people that ask questions and participate with my builds. I've been working on the wing clips and dihedral brace almost finished maybe tomorrow just taking my time w/ this part I want it to fit real tight. check the progress
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:12 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,661 Posts
I think what you are doing is ingenious. That looks totally secure. You are clearly using epoxy everywhere and on every joint there.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
well I was able to get the wing bolted on BUT I ended up w/ a gap between the fuse and the wing, Willsonman suggested that I add a faring but you can see in the photo there 's not much of a faring. I may be able to fill the gap w/ a strip of hard balsa and coat it w/ resin so it will with stand the wings going in and out. As I was putting this together and taking it apart many times I realized that I don't need to mount the dihedral brace it gets captured between the spars and the FUSE and as the wing is bolted together it's a very tight fit so that step does not have to be done. The only thing left to do on this part of the build is to glue in the center brace that I made be for, so check it out some feed back on this if you please.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
Well after gluing the center keel wing brace I remembered that I need to fill the holes in between the skin and the the bomb bay this really sheers up the sides of the FUSE so I got that finished this afternoon check it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,661 Posts
Looking great. It will take you 10 minutes to attach just the wings at the field but I think what you have done is really the simplest of solutions for what you are trying to accomplish. I think you are right about just using some balsa fill for that gap. You may want to harden it with some epoxy as the balsa will break down over many flights with wing warping and various other vibrations.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Looking great. It will take you 10 minutes to attach just the wings at the field but I think what you have done is really the simplest of solutions for what you are trying to accomplish. I think you are right about just using some balsa fill for that gap. You may want to harden it with some epoxy as the balsa will break down over many flights with wing warping and various other vibrations.
It's not that bad to hook up maybe 5 min. I have a question for any body and you what is the molding that runs down the side of the mosquito for I don't see it having a function.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,661 Posts
You mean the engine cowl?