HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:56 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
Build Log
FB Mark VI DeHavilland Mosquito NF Brian Taylor- Plans 81" wing span

This is another plane that I have all ways wanted to build I like the history that goes along with this aircraft and the major part it played in the allies winning WWII. The plane I am thinking about copying is MK. VI PZ446 of NO.143 Sqn. RAF 1939-45. This looks to be a challenging build and very light 13lbs.10oz. w/ two .40- 4 stroke engines I don't know if I will stay right to the way Brian did his but I will try to stay close. I know he covered his w/ tissue I don't think I'll do that maybe silk but that's a long ways away, the main parts were laser cut by Bob Holman. So I will start with the tail feathers they are built in to half shells and then put together and the skins are 1/16" balsa the ELV. will be solid balsa that I will carve out of 1/2"x4" sheet. I will be making all of my parts my self if I can cowl, canopy, landing gear etc. So here is a look at the prints that I will be working with, I should start work in a few days maybe sooner. I hope that there will be as big a interest with this build as the other planes I'm building.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Last edited by splinterz25; May 15, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:08 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
here are a few that I have been looking at still don't know for sure witch one I will copy #13 is looking good

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter2/mosquitos.htm
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
Accesories for the Taylor designs are hard to come by. You may end up fabricating them yourself.

Good luck on this project. Brian's designs fly very well, and look good to boot !!!
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:42 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
signed on!

No rest for the wicked, man!

I thought I was bad running two projects at once.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Subb'ed
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:56 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
thanks guys were juggling three right now Tom I knew about the availability of there parts going in on this so we will just make what we can and see what happens. the only reason I started this so soon I'm board waiting for my materials so here we go I started the tail feathers the laser cut parts are great they come of the sheet very easy but there was one rib that was to long for some reason #4 so I just trimmed to fit. I will try to tell you what I am doing as I go but I have found that sometimes I don't explain with enough detail so just speak up if you need me to elaborate more and of course there will be pictures and here they are the first half of the stabilizer
Last edited by splinterz25; May 15, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:44 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
I found some photos check them out.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:10 AM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
Interesting choice of photos there. Looks like you've got a nightfighter version there judging by the MkIV radar antenna on the nose, plus machine guns & 30mm cannon. I remember the old man saying, in order to bring down a lumbering old Ju87, they'd have to deploy flaps & drop the cart to keep from overshooting. Then open fire, and the recoil of all guns would reduce airspeed by as much as 20mph... enough to bring the pilot dangerously close to the stall !
Richard Oxby is offline Find More Posts by Richard Oxby
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:56 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
yea Richard those are just photos so I can get ideas how I will make parts. so I got the second half of the stab shell finished and glued together this is very thin so I'm doing it a bit diff. he had you skin then add the cap strip. I did it first then I will add 1/16" cap strip after skinning by the time you sand it it will only add about 1/32" larger, but it will be stronger. I also waited to add the gussets he had them in 1/8" and when glued would be 1/4" I just used 1/4" and added two to the aft end where there will be steal pin hinge that I will make w/ brass tube so here are some photos so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:23 AM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
Looking good Bruce. You've begun with the tail feathers then ? Well, guess you gotta make a start somewhere !

I did a little research on your NF Mosquito (HJ711) pictured above, because I was curious to see a very early war radar (MKIV) in her nose.

HJ711 isn't 'pure' - in the sense she's been 'rebuilt' since coming off the production line in 1943. Nevertheless HJ711 faithfully represents (to those savvy enough to know the difference) what was known as the Mosquito NF2 (i.e.MK2). Quite a few models of NF Mosquitoes came off the production lines subsequent to this one - usually in step with developments in radar technology.

The main difference between the older style Mosquito (such as HJ711) and the newer intruder NF hunter killers accompanying & protecting Allied bomber streams over Germany was the introduction of 'centrimetric radar'. When introduced this was a remarkable innovation, which made a real difference to the way the remnants of the Luftwaffe were hunted down late 1944 through early 1945.

Whilst the late war Mosquitoes MK30 nightfighters were more efficient (and deadly) in their ability to track the enemy in pitch darkness at good range, over any altitude (the MKIV radar suffered from interference at low altitude - and was practically useless low down), my personal preference if I were building a model is to go for a NF MK2. I don't much like the bulbous nose (to accomodate the big dish of the centrimentric radar) of the later Mosquitoes, such as the MK30 - even though the old man was quite successful with one end 44 to war's end.

HJ711 was built at Hatfield (UK) in May 1943 and entered RAF service with 141 Squadron. While with 69 Squadron at Little Snoring in Norfolk HJ711 was credited with the Squadron's first victory when it downed a Bf 110 over Berlin while being flown by Squadron Leader J.A.H. Cooper. HJ711 was reported missing from a bomber support mission to Stuttgart on 16th March 1944. Restoration of HJ711 began on 29th April 1972 when the derelict cockpit section of HJ711 and other items including a rudder were obtained at the sale of the Reflectaire Museum collection at Blackpool. The wing came from a B.16, PF498, which had previously served with 627, 109 and 139 Squadrons and had been used by the Civil Defence for crash rescue training at Chorley in Lancashire. Additional wing parts came from a long-derelict Royal Navy T.3, VA878, which had crashed at St. David's airfield in South Wales through a boundary fence when an engine failed on takeoff. A pair of Merlin engines came from a NF.30, NT616, that had served with 29 Squadron and were recovered from a scrap yard at Cosford. The rear fuselage came from a B.35, RS715, that had served with both 3 and 4 CAACU (Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit) and was S.o.C (Struck Off Charge) on 18th September 1961. The part was obtained from the MGM Studio store at Borehamwood. The wing tips came from Scotland along with many other components from all over the UK. When the restoration project became too large for a domestic garage in 1986 it was moved to the museum. The aim of the Night Fighter Preservation Team is to return HJ711 to taxiing condition.

Not quite sure where HJ711 is right now, but I can find out if you're interested - let me know. I think she would be a great Mosquito NF2 to base your model on - if you want to build her as a nightfighter, that is. You'll need to research HJ711's paint, as I'm not too sure its quite correct as shown in those photos.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:36 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
Richard thank you for taking the time w/ your research I like that part of doing these builds almost as much as building it self.From my research so far there isn't one of these planes still flying today? correct me if I'm wrong, I also thought that some of these planes even when they had the four 30 mm cannons could still carry two bombs in the aft section of the bay the front section had the 30mm shell mags and they carried four rockets on each hard point on the wings? and four machine guns! That's quite a bit of fire power for the day I like this HJ711 version and am not a fan of the later one as well, as deadly as it was. This model (prints) have drop tanks mounted on the hard points I don't care for the look of that either I do how ever like the look w/ rockets. where are you getting your info. from I have just started to really look and will go to the local library and search the library of congress as well and keep surfing the net so any links that any body can find are welcome. I am really going for the night fighter versions and yes if you can obtain more info on the HJ711 I would love to read or see any thing about that plane or any night fighter.Thank you again for taking an interest with my build I hope I can do a good likeness of this plane.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:26 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,440 Posts
You are going to run out of space soon! Very nice airplane and excellent build so far.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
[QUOTE=splinterz25;20177860]Richard thank you for taking the time w/ your research I like that part of doing these builds almost as much as building it self.From my research so far there isn't one of these planes still flying today?
[QUOTE]

Not that I'm aware of. The last flying Mosquito (I believe) was crashed a while back in a flying display.

[QUOTE=splinterz25;20177860] Correct me if I'm wrong, I also thought that some of these planes even when they had the four 30 mm cannons could still carry two bombs in the aft section of the bay the front section had the 30mm shell mags and they carried four rockets on each hard point on the wings? and four machine guns! That's quite a bit of fire power for the day [QUOTE]

Indeed. The old man told me e/a coming within firing range were dead meat. On a couple of occasions - they'd fire at close range only to see the e/a literally disintegrate in front of them. On at least one occasion they were covered in burning Nazi fuel, and landed with singed tail feathers.

[QUOTE=splinterz25;20177860]I like this HJ711 version and am not a fan of the later one as well, as deadly as it was. This model (prints) have drop tanks mounted on the hard points I don't care for the look of that either I do how ever like the look w/ rockets. where are you getting your info. [QUOTE]

lol. Bruce - my father was the top scoring night fighter nav/rad of all Allied airforces, so I was brought up with this sort of info from a young age. The year before Dad passed away (April 2009) we worked together on his 'memoir'.. which in late 44/early 45 turned out to be a surprising account of sexy french girls, boredom, drink, forays into the froggie countryside to steal coal (to keep warm) interspersed with flying night operations over the advancing Allied lines. Their job was to rudely intrude on the Luftwaffe's antics, and to protect Allied heavies on their way to places like Koln (Cologne) Munchen Gladbach, Dresden, and Berlin of course. They did their job to good effect. And brought down a good number of the enemy too. The old man was quite astonished to end up highest scoring night fighter navigator of the RAF (and USAAF ;-) with 22 confirmed kills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
I have just started to really look and will go to the local library and search the library of congress as well and keep surfing the net so any links that any body can find are welcome. I am really going for the night fighter versions and yes if you can obtain more info on the HJ711 I would love to read or see any thing about that plane or any night fighter..
Well. if you want it - I can certainly provide a wealth of information on the bulbous nosed Mosquito Mark 30. but to my mind, that's not the a/c I'd want to model. Its an ugly duckling. I think the Mk2 nightfighter with 4x30mm cannon & 4 m/gs in the nose is the one to go for. She's a beautiful looking a/c. HJ711 is a VERY good example (in my opinion) of a fab hunter killer. Personally, I wouldn't go for the wing mounted bombs or rockets because you'd be confusing different animals. Yes, Mosquitoes equipped thus did exist - but were designed as offensive strike a/c rather than nightfighters. You could always add these features on your model aircraft - but then it would be neither true to true Mossie nightfighter design (which didn't have rockets or bombs) nor as the strike bomber which was used against troop movements, trains, and railway infrastructure. Its your choice fella. But if you want rockets - go build a ruddy trainbusting Typhoon ! ;-)

My opinion (for what its worth ?) is - pick your Mosquito subject, and stick rigidly to a faithful representation of THAT plane to honour those who flew it (ie its crew), who may have died, or survived to ensure all of us have a future worth looking forward to !

If you're needing further info on nightfighter/intruder Mosquitoes, let me know. I have a good many friends who can help.

atb richard.

ps dad's NF30 had matt black undersides. I'm not certain, but I suspect HJ711 may have had similar undersides in its wartime role.
Last edited by Richard Oxby; Dec 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Accesories for the Taylor designs are hard to come by. You may end up fabricating them yourself.

Good luck on this project. Brian's designs fly very well, and look good to boot !!!
Cowls, canopies,etc are available from Traplet.

http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2516

BT probably specs out Unitracts on the Mossie

http://unitracts.co.uk/prices/brian-taylor/
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member