HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:54 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,706 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I may try and fly it off the grass this week,, been pretty wet here. I could just about take it off from our club parking lot.

Looks like it will be one of those fair weather flyers,
scale_only is online now Find More Posts by scale_only
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Hey scale_only,

Any updates on this? I just got mine and I'm curious as to any mods etc that might have to be made to fix that float issue?

Colin
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Last edited by wollins; Oct 28, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
1,706 Posts
No, it's been hanging, haven't had time to get to the lake on the days it hasn't been windy. It might not happen until spring the way things are looking
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
K, thanks for the response!

Colin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
I was the guy who enlisted Mike for camera duty a while back and can now lay my cards on the table as my review is up and live at www.2bfly.com. Unfortunately none of Mike's video made the cut as we decided on the raw first flight footage only. I have more float footage "in the can" along with Mike's and will include it with the update mentioned once I get to fly it with the skis off snow.

Regarding the float question, the scale size is a bit small overall for a model and definitely so in the tail. You can get it to sit on them at rest in calm water, but if there is much wave action it will likely rock back and dip the tail. Blip the throttle and it comes right back up though and it is a non-issue while taxing, taking off or landing. Getting the battery as far forward as possible definitely helps. For reference, I was using a Thunder Power 3S 2250mAh pack. After my initial flights I was thinking of making new foam floats with a bit more buoyancy aft but have decided not to bother. I now consider it a non-issue, as long as you don't let the battery go flat offshore. As I have gotten more used to the model I have come to appreciate its quirks as is.

You will see the first flight in the review and since then I have realized that the key to landing smoothly it is to touch down on the step with the floats flat or slightly nose high. Yeah, I know this should be standard practice, but it matters even more with this one. If the nose is a little low it will pitch back up into the air since the tails don't offer enough of a counterforce. This all happens right before it stalls and plops back in. With a little attention I can now paint it on most of the time as I expect Mike will attest. Regarding the mention of 4-6 inch waves, I wouldn't get near that with this model. It wants reasonably smooth water for best results. This is a 1:10 scale model after all. I challenge you to scale those waves up 10X and find me a full scale pilot to venture out into them with such a primitive craft.

Overall I have had a lot of fun with the W.29 and really enjoy flying it. It is so refreshing to have a unique model with personality instead yet another Cub or Mustang. Not that there is anything wrong with them mind you, but a change of pace is also welcome. Take a look at the review, watch the videos and let me know if you have any questions.

I just noticed the sale Maxford is having on this and if you are even remotely tempted and are confident in your piloting skills - or ability to be patient - I would definitely pull the trigger on this one.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Thanks for that report Thayer. Regarding the float issue, I think I read somewhere that someone suggested a "fix" for this would be just to install the floats about an inch or so more towards the rear? Your opinion?

Colin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
I suppose you could try that, but that moves the step aft and shortens the nose. Both of those would be a tradeoff you would have to consider. The floats do work but are simply small by our normal standards.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I can't recall any float issues on my 1/6 scale model , and as far as I can tell they are to scale .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
You may also have a more fwd CG or a relatively lighter model.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
CofG 25% , weight ?
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
Honestly, I don't know where mine balances. I am using Thunder Power 3S packs between 2250 and 2700 and putting them as far forward as I can. I doubt there is much weight variation. The plywood is pretty consistent.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
1,706 Posts
Moving the floats forward with the way it's designed would involve opening up the floats and installing new hard points for the gear legs,, more work than I'd bother with.

Sorry I've never taken it to the lake yet and given My review, but life's issues got in the way,, I'll play with it in the spring, For now it's a hanger queen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:26 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
Agreed, moving the float attach points would not be for the faint of heart unless you just made some simple metal tabs to stretch between the original attach locations and your new desired ones. I am thinking of the Cessna 120/140 landing gear extensions that moved the wheels 4 inches fwd. (don't hold me to that number)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,375 Posts
What a shame... I was looking forward to this, but from the looks of this thread there are far too many little issues. But worse than all is simply the way it sits in the water- looks like hell.

perhaps this thread's title should be changed to something a bit more fitting and less misleading
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:13 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
bsbauman,
The thread title may remain completely fitting and not at all misleading for the person who started it. I also propose that your "far too many little issues" and how it sits in the water are personal judgements.

No, it is not a modern sport model with oversized floats, but it does work and work well, in my opinion. You just need to keep in mind that it is different from modern standards and has a personality on the water and in the air. The original was designed less than 15 years after the Wrights first flew and there was still a lot to learn about how to design an aircraft to our current standards.

If you do a google search for images of the original you will see essentially the same thing, an aircraft with a narrow stance on small floats sitting low in the water and the aft decks essentially awash when at rest. To my eye, they got it pretty close. You might argue the yellow covering underneath, but then I haven't researched it enough to know that is wrong. Either way it would be an easy fix.

Again I applaud Maxford for taking the risk to produce such a unique early scale model and keep it as accurate as they did. Today is sunny and calm, a perfect day for float flying. If we weren't about to go visit some good friends for the holiday feast I would most likely be at the lake with my son enjoying a bit of vintage flying with the W.29. It is a fun and successful model. In my opinion.

If you really hate how it sits so much but are still willing to give it a chance, it would be a quick weekend's work to knock out a set of slightly larger foam floats that still looked reasonable.