HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
A total length of 3' will not cause a problem, correct?
Correct.
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,885 Posts
I just had my LHS order one for me, can't wait to get it in!
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
I just finished using the same setup to charge two 6S 5000 maH, six 6S 5300 maH and 4 1S 500 maH lipos for tomorrow's day at the field. I totally agree with you. I added six extension balance cables for the 6S connectors. The balance connectors for my 6S packs are extremely short and the extension cables make all the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
FYI - Finally got a full day of charging with my PL8 and MPA setup. WOW, I mean WOW. Absolutely one of my smartest purchases ever in this hobby. I thought the PL8 was, but this just ices the cake.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:30 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Gregor:

Yes, MPA will ship with Deans boots.

Tim Marks
Hi Tim,
Mine unfortunately didn't. Other than that it's great board!
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
FMA board use 1A polyfuses as that is the chargers max. balancing power and I used 2.5A ones so in theory the 1A ones should react faster however how much faster is the question

My test with the 2.5A ones and greatly different state of charge A123 and LiPolys.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...54&postcount=1

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 04, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
FMA board use 1A polyfuses as that is the chargers max. balancing power and I used 2.5A ones so in theory the 1A ones should react faster however how much faster is the question

My test with the 2.5A ones and greatly different state of charge A123 and LiPolys.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...54&postcount=1

Charles

Hi Charles:

There are 2 reasons we went with 1A polyfuses. One is the max balance power of the chargers which you noted. But you also noted "speed" as a reason to select the polyfuse size. This is even more important. When you connect a dead pack to a fully-charged pack via the balance connectors, a 2A polyfuse will allow burst currents that can be high enough to weld the small balance pins/connectors because they won't clamp the current fast enough. If you connect up the main wires first, you won't have a problem. But if you connect balance connectors together first, they won't last very long. Our advice to customers is always to connect the balance connectors to the charger before the main leads. This is because with PL8, the surge protection circuitry allows the output capacitors to discharge and you won't get the spark when you connect up the main leads. For interconnecting two parallel packs together, it shouldn't matter the order. If we went back and tried to change the order for this step, it would enevitably lead to a lot of confusion. So we went with 1A polyfuses.

How much faster you ask? With 1A polyfuse, it's 20A -30A burst current (which will not damage small balance pins because of short duration) vs. 50-60A (and longer duration) on a 2A polyfuse, which means connectors will have a very short life.

Tim Marks
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:37 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
So, I assume it's safe and recommended to connect balance connector first when using this board?
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
So, I assume it's safe and recommended to connect balance connector first when using this board?
Hi:

Yes, the order in which you connect batteries to the MPA does not really matter. You can connect balance connectors first, or mains first. Some have been connecting the balance connectors first and letting the cells "equalize" for a time prior to connecting the mains together. I think this is O.K. but I wouldn't recommend waiting more than 30 seconds or a minute before connecting the mains together. Otherwise, the packs might become un-balanced. The polyfuses are meant to protect the cells from over-current; they are not really meant as a means of accurately regulating voltage to the individual cells.

But after all connections are made to the MPA for all packs, it is still recommended that you connect the balance connector from the MPA to the charger/battery workstation before you connect the main leads. At least in the case of PL8, the surge protection circuitry inside of the unit will discharge the output capacitors and reduce the spark you can get when connecting the mains.

Tim Marks
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:31 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
IOMO there really is no excuss for connecting two or more LiPoly in parallel of greatly different state of charge.

Purchase a$4 Harbor Freight DVM and make a set of 4 MM banana to what ever main power leads are used on you LiPolys. Takes 5 seconds to connect LiPoly to DVM, get a reading. Faster than a cell checker,charger monitor mode etc. .Also great means to check a battery before placing in aircraft for a flight and to check them after a flight and if you use good quality banan(bullets) and leads it can serve as a back up charging cable. .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 06, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Yes, the order in which you connect batteries to the MPA does not really matter. You can connect balance connectors first, or mains first. Some have been connecting the balance connectors first and letting the cells "equalize" for a time prior to connecting the mains together. I think this is O.K. but I wouldn't recommend waiting more than 30 seconds or a minute before connecting the mains together. Otherwise, the packs might become un-balanced. The polyfuses are meant to protect the cells from over-current; they are not really meant as a means of accurately regulating voltage to the individual cells.

But after all connections are made to the MPA for all packs, it is still recommended that you connect the balance connector from the MPA to the charger/battery workstation before you connect the main leads. At least in the case of PL8, the surge protection circuitry inside of the unit will discharge the output capacitors and reduce the spark you can get when connecting the mains.

Tim Marks
Thanks Mark, this is very informative answer.
I always connect my batteries to the board/cables after I connect everything to the charger (PL8).
Should I connect all batteries to disconnected board then do as you said (balance 1st then mains)?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Thanks Mark, this is very informative answer.
I always connect my batteries to the board/cables after I connect everything to the charger (PL8).
Should I connect all batteries to disconnected board then do as you said (balance 1st then mains)?
Hi:

Yes, I recommend following my instructions as you have paraphrased. This way, the packs will have already started to equalize before you connect the paralleled packs to the PL8.

Tim Marks
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
My two arrived, yesterday-amazing design and quality!

Now, what's this about "daisy chaining" MPA's?

If I do this, what about powering the mains?

Sorry for a stupid question!
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:15 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddiK View Post
My two arrived, yesterday-amazing design and quality!

Now, what's this about "daisy chaining" MPA's?

If I do this, what about powering the mains?

Sorry for a stupid question!

Hi:

Yeah, if you notice there is a JST XH 90 degree header mounted on each end of the MPA. This is a basic through-buss. We still have to offer a cable that has a JST XH on each end and all wires populated. I'm sure a lot of customers will come up with that on their own if interested in daisy-chaining the MPA's. I'm not clear on how many would need to go above 6 packs in parallel on a single charger/Battery Workstation, but time will tell I guess. To hook up the mains of 2 MPA's, the safety banana plugs are stackable, just like the standard 40A cables.

Tim Marks
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:27 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
I'd like to see someone daisy chain a bunch of MPA's together and parallel charge like 30 lipos all at once. If anyone does it take a pic.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:29 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
I'd like to see someone daisy chain a bunch of MPA's together and parallel charge like 30 lipos all at once. If anyone does it take a pic.
Yeah, photos of MPA's, PL8's, p/s' and a video of your electric meter's dials all spinning about!
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer