SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:21 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
I have a parallel board (different brand) with male deans connectors on it. I'm pretty careful, and leave the caps on the unused connectors, but still managed to short out a deans with my wedding ring one time. What happened was I unplugged the first pack, and then placed my hand over the board to hold it down while I removed the other packs; thats when it shorted.

Luckily I didnt' get hurt and it just made a couple burrs on my ring. (wife wasn't too happy. )
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,256 Posts
Fortunately the MPA has fuses on the charge leads that will trip.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:59 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Does it come with T-plug/Deans protectors?

I always thought the ParaBoards and parallel cables with exposed, and hot male Deans were a risky idea.
Gregor:

Yes, MPA will ship with Deans boots.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:15 PM
Norcross, GA
Joined Dec 2005
282 Posts
I preordered one yesterday for my powerlab 6.
ggroyal1117 is offline Find More Posts by ggroyal1117
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Tim,

Can you tell us more about the poly fuses? Are they wired between the cell and gnd? Also what is the amp rating? I suspect very little since the charger doesn't balance at more than an amp or two.

Thanks,

Schu
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:02 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
Tim,

Can you tell us more about the poly fuses? Are they wired between the cell and gnd? Also what is the amp rating? I suspect very little since the charger doesn't balance at more than an amp or two.

Thanks,

Schu
Hi:

In series with each cell in the pack. Rated around 1A.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:06 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Looks good Tim, but my batteries are thunder power. You have a TP version in the works?
For those that want a TP version, here is another option. JST-XH to TP adapters, $3.79 for 5. This is for 6s. There are others for 3s, as well as for PQ/Hyperion

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9919

Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:07 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Yea, I know, I have some of those now, but they are really ugly and a pain to deal with. If you leave them connected then you have 42 of the little buggers hanging off the board.

Another problem with the TP batteries is that they use the same connector for 2-3 4-5 and split connectors for 6-8.

Perhaps I'll just quit buying them and switch to gens ace/billowy power since they are also good batteries, a bit cheaper and don't have stupid balance taps.

Another option would be to convert my batteries to XH, but that's a pain too.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:43 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,256 Posts
Just bought my first set of Thunder Power packs. Some 6s 4400 65c for my 700e. Nice packs, but those connectors are a pain. Node wires are hard PVC and very short. I wanted to replace the connectors, but I've been frustrated with larger (6s) JST-XH connectors. They use a friction connection and there's not easy way to get them apart without tugging on the wires. Also thier headers are designed for board mount and don't work well just soldering wires directly too them.

I finally settled on the Hyperion/PQ connectors as they use clip to secure the connection. The headers (female ends) are designed to work with wires, instead of soldered to a board. Connection and disconnection is easy. Pin spacing is compatible with the CellLog. The raw connectors are $3 for 4 of them. I bought a crimper a RS and have been going to town.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos-l...de-p-4316.html
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:15 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Screw it, I'm going to convert my TP batteries to XH connectors. The pins and housings are dirt cheap and I can order a die for my crimp tool that will make nice crimps with minimal effort. I'm sick of dealing with adapters and and multiple balance boards. Besides, the TP balance connectors are completely stupid, and XH is the clear standard.

The deans doesn't bother me since I use deans for 4s and smaller, and for my larger packs I use EC5, but I don't mind having adapters for those since there is only 6 ports.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:31 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Gregor99, you posted before I did.

I agree that the HYP/PQ connectors are the nicest but getting balance boards and pigtails for them is a pain. They just aren't anywhere near as popular as the XH or even the TP.

Personally I don't mind tugging on the wires a little bit in this application since a well crimped connector will stand up to a ton of abuse, but your right, I shouldn't do that.

Pick your poison I guess.

Oh, before I forget, check out these batteries:

http://hicountryhobbies.com/index.ph...roducts_id=134

I run two 4s packs in my 600e and they are stupid powerful. I'm running the scorpion 4025/890 on a 15t pinion and my setup hits 3800 watts for a split second on the data logger with fast pitch pumps.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:29 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
You guys seen these?

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=228

Never pull on wires again.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
You guys seen these?
As was pointed out elsewhere, just proof that an inappropriate/inadequate connector is being used.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Screw it, I'm going to convert my TP batteries to XH connectors. The pins and housings are dirt cheap and I can order a die for my crimp tool that will make nice crimps with minimal effort.
More power to you! I'm using the Radio Shack crimp tool for $10 and it works. Not great, but it works. After I got the hang of it, I wondered what took me so long to do this.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:48 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Yea, I already have a proskit crimp tool for doing PIDG connectors and coax, so it wasn't a big deal to pick up an additional die. I got the one for power poles as well as the RJ45 die, so I can pretty much crimp anything I deal with, with a single tool.

schu