SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,159 Posts
The MPA won't work with the Multi4 because the charger does not have JST-XH wiring mode. While a skilled modeler *could* get it to work, it would only work for a single cell count and the charge current would be limited.

The Powerlab6 and Powerlab8 both use the same JST-PA 9 pin connector. This is a very nice connector with a thumb clip for easy release and close pin spacing so it's very compact. Its about the same width as a JST-XH 6s (7pin) connector but easier to connect and disconnect. The Powerlab6 uses pins 1 through 6 and pin 9 in FMA wiring mode. In JST-XH wiring mode pins 1 through 7 are used.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
Salt Lake City
Joined Apr 2005
222 Posts
Power Supply ?

I just received the PL8 and have the Revolectrix 28 AMP power supply. As best I can tell from what I have read, the power supply should work fine. It just doesn't run the PL8 at it's capacity. Am I correct? Tim
tsecrist is offline Find More Posts by tsecrist
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Power Supply

Correct.

Also, don't forget to set the current limit to 23 - 25 amps, or thereabouts; i.e., less than the advertised 28 amp limit. Some power supplies do not handle attempts to draw more current (as the PL8 might try to do for a large pack) gracefully; setting the limits protects your supply and will help the PL8 limit charging to comply with the capabilities of your supply.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsecrist View Post
I just received the PL8 and have the Revolectrix 28 AMP power supply. As best I can tell from what I have read, the power supply should work fine. It just doesn't run the PL8 at it's capacity. Am I correct? Tim
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Correct.

Also, don't forget to set the current limit to 23 - 25 amps, or thereabouts; i.e., less than the advertised 28 amp limit. Some power supplies do not handle attempts to draw more current (as the PL8 might try to do for a large pack) gracefully; setting the limits protects your supply and will help the PL8 limit charging to comply with the capabilities of your supply.

Michael
Hi:

I'm just confirming the above is the correct answer to prior poster's question.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
Salt Lake City
Joined Apr 2005
222 Posts
Thanks so much. I appreciate your responses! Tim
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Salt Lake City
Joined Apr 2005
222 Posts
Does anyone know what the efficiency is for the PL8 with my 28 amp revolectrix power supply? Tim
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsecrist View Post
Does anyone know what the efficiency is for the PL8 with my 28 amp revolectrix power supply? Tim
Use this calculator to determine the answer:
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_calcu...PL8_Calc_1.htm

Enter your power supply voltage and current and the number of cells in your battery.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Use this calculator to determine the answer:
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_calcu...PL8_Calc_1.htm

Enter your power supply voltage and current and the number of cells in your battery.

Glen
Hi:

The efficiency used by the calculators is set conservatively to a fixed 85%. Results will vary based on output current and output voltage. The calculators are provided to give you a rough idea of what you can expect in terms of output current; not really to help you calculate precise charging efficiencies.

Tim Marks
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:28 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
413 Posts
Is there a case/cover for the MPA board?. I got mine in a large padded envelope while it gets knocked about in the charging box (old modified tool box).
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:34 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
Is there a case/cover for the MPA board?. I got mine in a large padded envelope while it gets knocked about in the charging box (old modified tool box).
Hi:

We do sell some really nice canvas bags. This small one might work for you:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...o-Carry-Case_2
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:19 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
Not a bad solution. I mounted velcro on the back of mine and stuck the corresponding piece to the side of my harbor freight case so it doesn't move around when stowed away. The rest of my components (PL6, dell supplies) are also secured with that heavy duty velcro, nothing moves.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:01 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
422 Posts
MPA & Safety Banana Cables to Main Battery Output Extension Cables

Hi:

I am building EC3 to female Deans Ultra adapters for my MPA with male Deans Ultra main battery output leads. What gauge wire do you suggest?

Along the same lines, what gauge wire do you suggest for an extension for the safety banana cables? I'm also having trouble tracking down sheathed (safety) banana plugs and jacks which accept 12 or so gauge wire, any suggestions?)

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars View Post
I am building EC3 to female Deans Ultra adapters for my MPA with male Deans Ultra main battery output leads. What gauge wire do you suggest?
I would use 14 AWG wire. If I were not in a hurry to get them, I would order them for ~$1 each: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3pcs_bag_.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars View Post
Along the same lines, what gauge wire do you suggest for an extension for the safety banana cables? I'm also having trouble tracking down sheathed (safety) banana plugs and jacks which accept 12 or so gauge wire, any suggestions?)
Depends on length and intended operating current. Assuming that you'll be using it at close to maximum output of your PowerLab, I would use either 10 or 12 AWG.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

We do sell some really nice canvas bags. This small one might work for you:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...o-Carry-Case_2
Tim are there photos of the inside of the bags anywhere? Was considering buying one for my PL6 but would like to see how stuff fits in there first. Seems to be a common trend with carry case manufacturers never to show the inside.

Also any word on when the MPA bare wire will be in stock? Seems like it has been out of stock for a while.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
422 Posts
MPA & PL6 fit in REVOLECTRIX PowerLab Carry Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Tim are there photos of the inside of the bags anywhere? Was considering buying one for my PL6 but would like to see how stuff fits in there first. Seems to be a common trend with carry case manufacturers never to show the inside.
grimbeaver:

I bought a PL6 and an MPA together with the larger of the 2 Revolectrix charger bags. I found it too small for the MPA. The MPA will fit well in this bag from corner to corner only, not with the PL6 in the bag too. It could be in the bag with the PL6, but the MPA's power wires are pressed hard over at 90 degrees against the MPA's case.

There is a photo from a user who tried to do this with a PL8 some where in the RCG forums. I can't find it now though.

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars