HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
397 Posts
Good for you.

Just wondering if there are plans for other boards as they sold them in the past for the 10 and 4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Yikes! I use 2 PL 8's and 2 MPA boards with "cheap" Gens Ace lipos and love em!
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:57 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Tim,
Got my MPA and it's working great. Two quick questions

1. What are the thermo fuses rated at, just curious
2. When parrellel charging multiple packs should all the balance leads be plugged in 1st or all the power leads? And what's the logic behind the answer.

Thanks again!
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Nov 2009
12 Posts
Balancing

I don't really understand !

If I have a few packs plugged in and one cell reach 4.20 on one of my pack and all the others cells of the circuit are 4.00, what does appen, it continue charging and the cell will end up at 4.30 while the others arrive to 4.20 ?
Mikewheel is offline Find More Posts by Mikewheel
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
6,224 Posts
I'm no engineer, so I can't give you the "why," but I can tell you that all cells, in all packs, will be charged to the voltage that you set. So, if you leave the default setting of 4.20, eventually, all cells will be at 4.20. Now, that assumes all cells were below 4.20. Frankly, if you start will some cells at 4.20, I don't know what will happen, but I'm fairly certain those at 4.20 will not be overcharged-maybe the charger just will not charge any cells.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewheel View Post

If I have a few packs plugged in and one cell reach 4.20 on one of my pack and all the others cells of the circuit are 4.00, what does appen, it continue charging and the cell will end up at 4.30 while the others arrive to 4.20 ?
  • The higher cells will imeadiately start charging the lower cells. The rate will be fairly low as the delta is small.
  • The charger will read approximately 4.1v per cell and operate in the higher current CC phase. The output of the charger will be slightly above 4.1v per cell, varies based on charge rate.
  • The charger's output will slowly continue to increase from 4.1 to 4.2v per cell + the voltage required to obtain the set current flow.
  • At the same time, the higher cells will continue to charge the lower cells, the charge rate reducing the closer the cells are in voltage.

Its possible that some amount of overcharge will happen on the higher cells. But it really depends on the cell IR of the higher and lower cells, resistance of the connecting wires, and the set charge current. Because there are a lot of variables, its better just to get the cells closer before connecting in parallel.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,176 Posts
Quote:

The picture below shows three 3S packs wired as if connected to a charger.

The Deans goes to the main charge leads on the charger and the balance connector to the balance connector on the charger. As you can see all the pack positives are tied together and all the pack negatives are tied together.

As such it is impossible tor any pack voltage to differ from any other pack.

The same is true for the individual cells. All of the #1 cells in each pack are tied directly to each other. Therefore it is impossible for and of the #1 cells in each pack to differ in voltage. The same is true of the #2 and #3 cells.

It is possible for a single cell to pass more current than another cell but the voltages will always be the same.

Ultimately the currents will even out and the packs/cells will be fully charged.

It is possible that before the packs are connected their voltages differ. However as soon as they are connected their voltages will be forced to be the same. At this time some current will flow between the more charged cells to the lesser charged cells and shortly everything will be equalized.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
6,224 Posts
What he said....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Nov 2009
12 Posts
Nice, it's a perfect explanation. Will it work with my hyperion eos 720i Super duo? I think so !
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,176 Posts
Quote:
Nice, it's a perfect explanation. Will it work with my hyperion eos 720i Super duo? I think so !
This is physics. It has nothing to do with individual chargers.

Glen
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Nov 2009
12 Posts
Ok so if I understand, there is a balance port+ a charge lead ( black and red wire) out of this board? Nothing more ?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:57 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,176 Posts
Quote:
Ok so if I understand, there is a balance port+ a charge lead ( black and red wire) out of this board? Nothing more ?
Yes that is right. What else would you expect to have?

Glen
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Nov 2009
12 Posts
I don't know, a special cable made to be plugged in the revolectrics chargers. Because they tell in the explanation of the product that it's made for revolectrics chargers.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:20 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,176 Posts
Quote:
I don't know, a special cable made to be plugged in the revolectrics chargers. Because they tell in the explanation of the product that it's made for revolectrics chargers.
That is a reference to the nine pin balance cable. The PL6 and PL8 do not use the more or less standard JST-XH type balance connector. However If you wish to use the MPA with some other charger I believe that substitute cables are available.

Glen
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
That is a reference to the nine pin balance cable. The PL6 and PL8 do not use the more or less standard JST-XH type balance connector. However If you wish to use the MPA with some other charger I believe that substitute cables are available.

Glen
Hi:

Correct. Proper interface cables to support Revolectrix Cellpro chargers and battery workstations as well as XH compatible charger brands can all be seen in this webstore section:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/MPA_2

As noted in the store descriptions, one of these cables also works to daisy-chain multiple MPA's.

Incidentally, the same exact cables also work with the newer SPA and can be seen here too:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/SPA_2

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
Joined Jun 2003
411 Posts
Hi:

Is the:

Quote:
PN: MPA-FRC-PL6/PL8-US
MPA-to-Cellpro Battery Workstation Interconnect Cable
This special cable is required to interface the Revolectrix MPA to either the Cellpro PowerLab 6 or PowerLab 8 Battery Workstations. The cable is 12 inches long, and includes a JST XH on one end and a JST PA (Cellpro) connector on the other end.
Avaliable without the JST-PA plug on it? I am thinking I can put a JST-PA 5 pin plug there, carefully placing the appropiate wires, then use the MPA with my Multi4.

While I'm at it, does this cable use 9 or 7 pin connectors? If 9 pin the PL 6 must have a larger jack than the PowerLab 6 name implies. Its jack must be a 9 pin and not a 7 pin.

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars