SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Nick, I hesitate to suggest it, but what about some short adapters for JST male to Thunderpower female? I'm sure somebody makes them as I remember using them about 5 years ago.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Is there an MPA board with TP balance connections yet?
THANKS!!!!
Nick,
I just got some TP packs for the first time so I'm in the same boat. The thing I noticed about the TP packs is they balance leads are very short and super stiff. Even if a TP parallel board were available from Revolectrix, it would be hard to use and maybe even contribute to premature balance wire breaking.

My first plan was to get some short adapters from HobbyKing. They are super inexpensive and shipping was not to bad. On my last order to EpBuddy I decided to get a few of the adapters in the in link below. I was very impressed with these. Soft silicone, and the TP female connectors are mounted to tiny boards so the pins don't slip out like on the HK ones.

Because of the added length and the soft flexible wires, it will be a lot easier to connect a bunch of TP packs to the MPA.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=296
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
O.K., Nick, how about some "long" adapters?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
The wacky thing is I already have these balance adapters since I was using a 4x50w multi charger. I guess for now I will continue to used them and solder ec3s to the bare wire version of the mpa board.

Thanks guys.
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Here's a wacky question. Can you get to the back of the MPA board? Say if i wanted to solder on my own ec3 pig-tails?

Thanks!
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Here's a wacky question. Can you get to the back of the MPA board? Say if i wanted to solder on my own ec3 pig-tails?

Thanks!
Hi:

There are actually 2 PCB assemblies. The main PCB only carries balance connectors and interwiring. You wouldn't want to solder EC3's to that board. The power board is mounted above the main board on standoffs. Of course you could disassemble the MPA and likely access the underside of the power board, but I would not advise it. You will instantly void your warranty. I can also not condone your request because it would be irresponsible not knowing your skill levels and soldering capabilities.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

There are actually 2 PCB assemblies. The main PCB only carries balance connectors and interwiring. You wouldn't want to solder EC3's to that board. The power board is mounted above the main board on standoffs. Of course you could disassemble the MPA and likely access the underside of the power board, but I would not advise it. You will instantly void your warranty. I can also not condone your request because it would be irresponsible not knowing your skill levels and soldering capabilities.

Tim Marks
GOT IT! i guess I'll just solder a bunch of ec3's to the existing wires on the bare wire MPA. Any news if there is thunder power version of the MPA in the works.?

Thanks for making a great product with great support. I got to use regen storage charging at the field today. Amazing tech!
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:12 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,701 Posts
Tim,

Here is an off the wall suggestion.

Since the power board is completely independent of the balance board would it be feasible to build different power boards and then offer them individually?

Along those lines your could offer TP balance boards and sell them chinese style. One from column A and one from column B.

It sounds interesting as I write this, but I expect there are stocking and distribution concerns that will make it prohibitive. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW I love mine. Originally I thought the price was a bit high but after using it for a couple of months I feel it is worth every nickle.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Tim,

Here is an off the wall suggestion.

Since the power board is completely independent of the balance board would it be feasible to build different power boards and then offer them individually?

Along those lines your could offer TP balance boards and sell them chinese style. One from column A and one from column B.

It sounds interesting as I write this, but I expect there are stocking and distribution concerns that will make it prohibitive. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW I love mine. Originally I thought the price was a bit high but after using it for a couple of months I feel it is worth every nickle.

Glen
Hi Glen:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep it in mind.

Tim Marks
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Hi I just want to confirm one thing. I am looking at buying the PL8 and the MPA board.

Can you not just charge through the balance taps with this or do you NEED to blug both the power and balance taps into the board??

I understand there are charging restrictions I would be doing this on my smaller 2 and 3s lipo packs.

Thanks
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Hi I just want to confirm one thing. I am looking at buying the PL8 and the MPA board.

Can you not just charge through the balance taps with this or do you NEED to blug both the power and balance taps into the board??

I understand there are charging restrictions I would be doing this on my smaller 2 and 3s lipo packs.

Thanks
There are a couple of presets that allow charging through the main leads only (one and two cell packs). There are no presets that allow charging through the balance leads only. Most presets require both the balance and main leads.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post

Thanks
Hi:

The PL8 does support balance-wire-only charging on most presets; however, this will only work when the unit is in FMA WIRING MODE. When using the MPA, the PL8 must be set for XH WIRING MODE. Consequently, the MPA requires that both the balance connectors and the main pack leads be connected for all charging operations.

Tim Marks
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

The PL8 does support balance-wire-only charging on most presets; however, this will only work when the unit is in FMA WIRING MODE. When using the MPA, the PL8 must be set for XH WIRING MODE. Consequently, the MPA requires that both the balance connectors and the main pack leads be connected for all charging operations.

Tim Marks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
What stopped me from the PL6 & 8 was something like the MPA board, its great, its here but I don't get it.

If I am buying a 240$ charger and a hyped out power supply don't you think I would have higher end packs. I have been ditching all my cheap china brands and replacing them with Hyperion and TP yet all FMA sells is an MPA board for cheap packs??

I know I can buy adapters and connectors but I plan on getting rid of everything that has the jst in the next year.

Are there plans to make an MPA with the HYP/TP adapters???

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Yikes! I use 2 PL 8's and 2 MPA boards with "cheap" Gens Ace lipos and love em!