HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon7a View Post
Makes sense, thank you. I will be careful and will ensure that I select the right P.

If I don't want to use the Auto charge rate, should I simply manually set the maximum charge that the smallest battery connected to the MPA can take? So if I like to charge at 3C and I have 2 2,000mah and 2 5,000mah connected (same cell count), I should select a manual charge rate of 6amps (3C x 2,000mah)?
Your assumption would be correct if you were charging all your packs in series.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined May 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
If you are not already on firmware 3.31, upgade and report your results.
I upgraded to v3.31 which according to the notes should fix the problem, but not in my case.. Exact same problem with the IR of the 6th cell reading incorrectly (high)..
Geffect is offline Find More Posts by Geffect
Old May 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
I came, I saw, I went away
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined Dec 2006
337 Posts
Gregor99 and ggcrandall1, thank you, your comments help clear up some of the confusions I have had since moving from the Cellpro 10S to the PL6.

I notice that PL6 multiplies the current I select with the P value I set. In the case of having batteries of different sizes, the P multiplier doesn't seem that effective. Should I select P=1 and manually set the current so it equals 1C or 2C etc? I guess with packs of different sizes, the P multiplier isn't the right way to go.
falcon7a is offline Find More Posts by falcon7a
Last edited by falcon7a; May 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geffect View Post
I upgraded to v3.31 which according to the notes should fix the problem, but not in my case.. Exact same problem with the IR of the 6th cell reading incorrectly (high)..
Hi:

You need to run the PL8 in XH WIRING MODE when using the MPA. I didn't see you mention that in any of your posts.

This fact is stated in the MPA user guide:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1401.pdf

Refer to the user guide, page 61 for instructions:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1377.pdf

Hope this gets you going!

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old May 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon7a View Post
Gregor99 and ggcrandall1, thank you, your comments help clear up some of the confusions I have had since moving from the Cellpro 10S to the PL6.

I notice that PL6 multiplies the current I select with the P value I set. In the case of having batteries of different sizes, the P multiplier doesn't seem that effective. Should I select P=1 and manually set the current so it equals 1C or 2C etc? I guess with packs of different sizes, the P multiplier isn't the right way to go.
Hi:

Yes, if you're paralleling vastly different capacities, then you should set P=1 and set charge rate manually so it equals whatever rate you desire. For the packs connected in parallel, sum of all capacities = 1C.

Tim Marks
Old May 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

There are no plans to produce MPA with EC3 connectors at this time. We do have tentative plans to produce a model where each pack +/- terminates to bare wire so customers can add the connectors of their choice. There is no time-line for this version as of yet.

Tim Marks
Tried calling but everyone out of the shop until May 25. I see where the new MPA w/ "Bare Wire for Power" is going to be available in June. I've got the PL8 w/ MPA (no bare wire for power). How is the MPA used differently w/ the "Bare Wire(s) for Power" ????
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old May 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Tried calling but everyone out of the shop until May 25. I see where the new MPA w/ "Bare Wire for Power" is going to be available in June. I've got the PL8 w/ MPA (no bare wire for power). How is the MPA used differently w/ the "Bare Wire(s) for Power" ????
Hi:

If you have something other than Deans Ultra connectors on your batteries, then the bare wire version gives you the opportunity to solder on your power connector of choice to each MPA port.

Tim Marks
Old May 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Tim, I'm still not gettin it. I'm using XT60 & EC3/5 connectors. I've been charging through my battery balance connectors. Why would you need to connect the batts to the pos/neg connector? Sorry for my ignorance. Just tryin to understand the theory/reasoning.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:03 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Tim, I'm still not gettin it. I'm using XT60 & EC3/5 connectors. I've been charging through my battery balance connectors. Why would you need to connect the batts to the pos/neg connector? Sorry for my ignorance. Just tryin to understand the theory/reasoning.
Hi:

When using MPA, you must connect the balance connectors to the MPA as well as the pack main leads. You can not just connect the balance connectors. It won't charge through the MPA that way. So, if you have XT60 and EC3/5 connectors on your packs, you will need to solder the mating side of these connectors onto the black/red wires coming off of the new MPA.

Tim Marks
Old May 21, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
GOT IT NOW! Thanks Tim. Now what do I do w/ my 6 new stackable banana plug cables?
Old May 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
GOT IT NOW! Thanks Tim. Now what do I do w/ my 6 new stackable banana plug cables?
Hi:

I guess it's my turn to be confused. If you purchased PL8 with MPA, why did you buy the safety banana cables?

Tim Marks
Old May 25, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
I'm piggy backing them to use w/ my pack discharge plugs coming off of the MPA
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Italian flyer
Italy
Joined Mar 2008
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

You need to run the PL8 in XH WIRING MODE when using the MPA. I didn't see you mention that in any of your posts.

This fact is stated in the MPA user guide:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1401.pdf

Refer to the user guide, page 61 for instructions:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1377.pdf

Hope this gets you going!

Tim Marks
Tim
just to recap
when using 4x parallel Cellpro (JST PA) PowerLab-to-ThunderPower (Molex) or PolyQuest (Yeonho) Safe Parallel Adapter to charge my TP/Hyperion batteries, PL8 has to be in FMA wiring mode
When using MPA and its PL8 balance cable to charge LiPo batteries with JST XH balance connector need to REMEMBER to setup PL8 in XH WIRING MODE.
So every time must remember to switch PL8 back and for depending on Lipo balance connector type.........
And if I forget it... last cell on the + pole don't get balanced right? TKS
pp32789 is offline Find More Posts by pp32789
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp32789 View Post
Tim
just to recap
when using 4x parallel Cellpro (JST PA) PowerLab-to-ThunderPower (Molex) or PolyQuest (Yeonho) Safe Parallel Adapter to charge my TP/Hyperion batteries, PL8 has to be in FMA wiring mode
When using MPA and its PL8 balance cable to charge LiPo batteries with JST XH balance connector need to REMEMBER to setup PL8 in XH WIRING MODE.
So every time must remember to switch PL8 back and for depending on Lipo balance connector type.........
And if I forget it... last cell on the + pole don't get balanced right? TKS
Hi:

You wrote:

"And if I forget it... last cell on the + pole don't get balanced right? TKS"

Not correct. We do our best to make sure such a bad situation can never occur. Most likely the PL will issue a Safety Code. In some cases, the PL might be able to charge the pack(s), but it will never charge without charging every cell in the pack. In some cases, when wiring mode is wrong, your IR readings could be way off though.

Tim Marks
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Just got my PL8 and I'm loving it! I use mostly TP packs. Is there an MPA board with TP balance connections yet? Preferably with es3 or bare wires so I can put my own connectors.

If this is not available what's the next best thing?

THANKS!!!!
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee