SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:50 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
I also received that decals from Callie's Graphics

http://www.callie-graphics.com/aboutus.php

They are actually sticky back vinyls, very well made; a complete decal set was only $20.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Three years ago I took these pictures of an Me-163 Komet at the Luftwaffen Museum in Berlin-Gatow,

Last edited by Herb; Jan 03, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:02 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
If you decide to put a rockrt in ther tail for show, you'll have to split the wire that isn used for the rudder/tail wheel setup.
I ended up running two pushrods (4/40) from the rudder servo...one for the rudder and one for the tail wheel in order to make room for the estes rocket.

I need to come up with a better dolly system on mine. I was using the stock landing gear leg thingy, but had drilled out the blind nuts on the bottom of the plane and had the dolly just gravity drop out after takeoff.
It worked ok for awile, but it started getting sloppy.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
No rockets for me ... Yes the droppable dolly requires some work.

I finally ordered the motor & servos (bluebird standard size low profile digital) from HK, will take a few weeks to get here. The motor is for an 8S setup swinging an 11x10 prop. Ca. 28V x 80A = 2200W, with a prop pitch speed of ca. 140-150mph.

Initially I had not realized that the servo cutouts in the wings limit you to the type of servos that can be mounted in there (namely standard size ones, 20x40mm) unless you do a whole bunch of extra work which I am not willing to do !

Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:04 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
I got this $4 Hobbyking pilot, which needed to be repainted to make it look a bit more like a Luftwaffe pilot ...

Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Waiting for the motor & servos, I scratch-built a bit of a cockpit, based on a few available pictures I found on the internet ...

Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey Herb,

Cool plane, nice graphics !!!

Lots of great ME-163 info here http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163.htm

The decal set you have is for tail number 191904 which you took pictures of at the Luftwaffen Museum in Berlin-Gatow. You can see the various schemes of 191904 here

http://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/berlin.htm

Of the various schemes this airframe wore I chose to replicate this one except I corrected the white 25 to yellow since.... Well I liked it better and it was noted as Yellow 25 when first captured.

In looking at that info page I found it hard to believe the original paint job shown was accurate with the ME-163 Komet painted on the nose. But it did have the Yellow 25. Maybe the sceme was correct but they added that script when it was captured. The scheme I chose never flew on this plane during the war(as far as I can tell) but was the best representation of what I wanted and included the flea emblem.

So you have a corrected, second generation paint scheme, applied after the war, and no longer on the airframe.....

I'm still flying mine. I reworked many of my videos so the links in my threads are dead but the 163 still flys at special events.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...c#post12812826

I'm using a 13x10 APC E prop which more or less disappears when spinning due to the gray color.

You can see some shots of mine at the 5 minute point in this video.

PMAC Warbird Day 2011 (12 min 35 sec)

Have fun and keep posting lots of pics !!

Joe

oh btw, this little ME-163 will knife edge like a mad man !!!! It just cruises along in knife edge looking really cool !!
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Jan 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your post and all the info you provided !

I had in fact located that wonderful Dutch Me-163 web site a couple of weeks ago, and had seen your youtube video as well. It looks like a very nice flyer !

I am still waiting for the servos, motor, props and a few other little things so I have not done any serious work on the Me-163.

I've thought a bit about various dolly solutions, I have some experience myself with EDF dollys (JePe F-16) and I found out it's better if it's 100% foolproof - otherwise it will scrape you model badly ...

So there will be, most likely, a very solid "shoe" for the dolly, a bit like the original one, with fairly long and thick vertical steel alignment pins front and aft of the actual gear mount. I think it will be ok if it just gravity-drops by itself.

Regarding the color scheme, I think it will end up a bit fantasy, as I intend a) to use the decals I have and b) pick a scheme that's interesting, having found out at the same time that Me-163 Wk. No. 191904 was repainted god knows how many time, with the final scheme at Berlin-Gatow having nothing to do with original paint job ...

Also my cockpit and pilot so far are complete fantasy, I found later Me-163 pilot pictures were they wear the C/T-Stoff resistant brown suit ...

Mine instead will be totally silly, with Galland at the controls (he never flew the Me-163B).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
I found a carbon rod ($1) to reinforce the rudder linkage setup.

I also drilled a hole at the back and added a styrene outlet. That big hole will be needed for motor and esc cooling!

I plan on not runnig a spinner, so more air will come in at the front.

Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
While waiting for some components I did some more work on the cockpit ... it is pretty fantasy so far, maybe I will get another pilot later that I can dress up as Me-163B pilot (and not as Galland)

Also the (Revi) gunsight is completely wrong, it's supposed to be inside the armored glass frame. Maybe I'll redo that later ...

Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Thanks Herb,

On my dolly I didn't want to do major surgery to reconstruct the dolly area. So I used JB Weld to secure some bolts that I cut the heads off of into brass tubes. Then I just screwed the tubes into the provided blind nuts in the fuse.

I trimmed the brass flush and if needed I could extract the tubes later by unscrewing them.

Then I created the pins for the dolly by cutting the heads off some stainless bolts so I had long smooth shafts to recess into the brass tubes.

Everything lined up by using the factory holes/fittings.

I use a little spurt of graphite lube like they use for Pine Wood Derby cars to keep everything well lubricated and it works perfectly.

The 163 has won me a few gift certificates but the events I fly it at are simple pilots choice judging. No heavy scale judging. People love to see it fly and they gravitate to it.

I've really enjoyed your builds. Keep up posting the great work!!

BTW, nothing wrong with silly pilots !!! I have a Hurricane with a one legged flight pilot named Ponseby Brit OBE and Col Klink in a FW-190 complete with monocle !! Alas, the Col never flew 190's I believe he flew a Heinkel before ending up at the Stalag. Interestingly, he and Hogan did fly together in a P-51 in one episode.

Here are some silly links for the above pilots...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponsonby_Britt

http://hh.wikia.com/wiki/Wilhelm_Klink

Put this in the Youtube search... I don't want to clog up things here.

Hogan's Heroes: Easy Come, Easy Go (Part 3)

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
829 Posts
Hi Herb,

Here's a link to my thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=taylor+me+163

and the video

Me 163 Komet 7/10/2010 (3 min 23 sec)

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,816 Posts
Hi Herb,

The Komet is one of my faves too. Not to side track this thread, but here is one on the big K&A Komet. Scott (a.k.a. Turbonut owns the mold). http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=komet&page=11

A very cool plane. I got to get it back in the air.

Greg
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
Joe, Dave, Gregg

Looking at your beautiful Komets really got me energized !! What nice looking aircraft you have there !

Dave I read your whole thread and it seems you had some CG problems initially. Later the picture of yours with the dolly dropping off was absolutely priceless.

I got all my components today so I'll go on with the build soon.

Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,168 Posts
The motor and lots of other little bits arrived

To mount the motor, I decided (as I had done in other cases before) to make a sturdy plybox mount.

There are very nice adjustable steel or aluminum mounts, but I find that these often are not rigid enough
and cause all sorts of vibrations, resonances etc. ... and some very annoying noises.

I took some preliminary size measurements for the ply box, and then later shaved off a few extra mm at
the back to get the prop adapter to sit just right, at the right depth.

The ply box is very rigid and yet rather light, and hopefully will make the whole thing a bit quieter. There is
this annoying tendency of fiberglass fuselages to resonate like violin cases.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 16, 2012 at 04:51 PM.