SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Question
how to step up 11.1V 3 cell lipo DC to 12V DC for my FPV monitor?

Happy Holidays everyone! I'm hoping I might be able to power my FPV monitor with my existing 3 cell lipo batteries- though the manufacturer says the monitor's normal operating range is 11.75-12.75V DC and 11.1V from my 3 cell lipo batteries may be a little underpowered- would I need to step up the voltage from the lipo to 12V somehow?- if so- does anyone know how or with what kind of product (whilst at minimum expense)? - thank you in advance!
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Fully charged 3s lipo is 12.6v. so its idea for powering a 12v monitor without the need to step up or down the voltage.

I do the same with my 12v 9" lcd and works great for many hours.
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Thanks Chris- sounds like good news- only I'm a little confused as I thought all lipos are rated at 11.1V..? Also could you share the capacity of your 3S lipo and how long it lasts approximately please? Any idea how long a 2200mAh 3S lipo would power the monitor for, down to say 35% before recharging (not wanting to drain lipos too much)?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,376 Posts
This is a nice variable voltage regulator that I've used on a number of FPV projects:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...5&cat=0&page=1
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:48 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
I use a 3s 4500mah, LCD and video receiver use 0.8amps. so about 4+ hours.

Just to add i also use a small lead acid battery 12v 7ah.
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
Thanks Chris- sounds like good news- only I'm a little confused as I thought all lipos are rated at 11.1V..? Also could you share the capacity of your 3S lipo and how long it lasts approximately please? Any idea how long a 2200mAh 3S lipo would power the monitor for, down to say 35% before recharging (not wanting to drain lipos too much)?

11.1 is the nominal voltage. Meaning that is the average voltage the battery will be at through it's usable charge life.

The full charge voltage is 4.2
Dead empty is 3.3 or so.

If you want to know how long your monitor will last with a given lipo, you need to know how much current the monitor draws and how much capicity the lipo has.

A good guess is 2 Amp draw for the monitor. A 2000mAh battery would last right at 1 hour. However, since the monitor might not work all the way down to the bottom of the battery you will probably get much less.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
This is a nice variable voltage regulator that I've used on a number of FPV projects:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...5&cat=0&page=1
Thanks Dave- what specifically do you use this for in your fpv projects? I ask as I wonder if I do have to step up my 3S lipo's voltage now for my monitor, thanks to Chris' feedback here- is anything else required in addition to this product to step up 11.1V to 12V? With gratitude, Justin
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:21 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
11.1 is the nominal voltage. Meaning that is the average voltage the battery will be at through it's usable charge life.

The full charge voltage is 4.2
Dead empty is 3.3 or so.

If you want to know how long your monitor will last with a given lipo, you need to know how much current the monitor draws and how much capicity the lipo has.

A good guess is 2 Amp draw for the monitor. A 2000mAh battery would last right at 1 hour. However, since the monitor might not work all the way down to the bottom of the battery you will probably get much less.
Thanks again Chris!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:10 PM
FPV
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Dec 2010
63 Posts
How big is your monitor?Even though the operating voltage is 11.75-12.75V, chances are it will probably work just fine until your 3S lipo is completely drained. Just test it yourself and don't let the lipo get under 9.6V at all. If it's still working at 9.6V, then good, that means you can use it to power your monitor as long as your lipo is charged.
atopcu is offline Find More Posts by atopcu
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:49 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atopcu View Post
How big is your monitor?Even though the operating voltage is 11.75-12.75V, chances are it will probably work just fine until your 3S lipo is completely drained. Just test it yourself and don't let the lipo get under 9.6V at all. If it's still working at 9.6V, then good, that means you can use it to power your monitor as long as your lipo is charged.
my monitor is this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._HD_Field.html

(Power Requirements-12V DC, 1300mA ; Power Consumption <20W )
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post

Based on the info in my last post- I guess the draw is 1300mA/1.3A- therefore I would only need a 1300mAh lipo to last 1 hour, though it of course isn't recommend to drain the lipo entirely- so if I were to drain it to 40% from fully charged- I guess that means I can run it for up to 36 minutes- on a 1300mAh lipo at least or about an hour on a 2200mAh lipo-if it works, without a step up regulator etc..waiting on the barrel connector cable to arrive to test if it will work with the lipo as is- thanks guys
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
Based on the info in my last post- I guess the draw is 1300mA/1.3A- therefore I would only need a 1300mAh lipo to last 1 hour, though it of course isn't recommend to drain the lipo entirely- so if I were to drain it to 40% from fully charged- I guess that means I can run it for up to 36 minutes- on a 1300mAh lipo at least or about an hour on a 2200mAh lipo-if it works, without a step up regulator etc..waiting on the barrel connector cable to arrive to test if it will work with the lipo as is- thanks guys
Regulator or not, make sure you have some sort of device on your setup that tells you when your lipo is nearing critical voltage. Draining a lipo down below minimum voltage will damage the lipo. You also don't want to find out your lipo is low while you're flying. You could get a simple lipo alarm, or you can get a voltage meter. The time your lipo will last from charge is an estimate and can vary depending on conditions (temperature, age of the lipo, etc).
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
Anyone have a 12DC plug they recommend? I can't seem to find one googling....
TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:58 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nft343 View Post
Regulator or not, make sure you have some sort of device on your setup that tells you when your lipo is nearing critical voltage. Draining a lipo down below minimum voltage will damage the lipo. You also don't want to find out your lipo is low while you're flying. You could get a simple lipo alarm, or you can get a voltage meter. The time your lipo will last from charge is an estimate and can vary depending on conditions (temperature, age of the lipo, etc).
Thanks for the tip- and also for reminding me- I have 3 of these TURNIGY 3~8S Voltage Detectors from hobbyking already- which I can hopefully use to monitor the voltages of not only my monitor but also my 2 RX batteries- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13276 though only just opened the package just now to check out the product and not sure how it connects to the lipo whilst the lipo is connected to the monitor or RX etc..? (it just has a black and red wire coming out- I guess it somehow connects to the balance plug of the lipo - though not sure as balance plugs have 4 wire (red, black yellow and blue) connected to them..
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
[not sure how it connects to the lipo whilst the lipo is connected to the monitor or RX etc..? (it just has a black and red wire coming out- I guess it somehow connects to the balance plug of the lipo - though not sure as balance plugs have 4 wire (red, black yellow and blue) connected to them..[/QUOTE]

figured it out- I need to get a female balance plug and solder black to black and red to red- and leave the yellow and blue ports in the connector alone