HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:47 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
The Traverse is smaller than a full size SUV. 3 guys with gliders and gear and luggage? I'd be looking at full size SUV.
FWIW, the traverse is the same width and length as a Ford Expedition (which is considered full-sized, I think).
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:02 PM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
Oh, well I guess it's bigger than I thought. In that case, it should haul many extra planes too!!
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:28 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,059 Posts
I have my new passport now. Just need to do a Visa Waiver and book airfares (still waiting to see if my work is going to come through with a helping hand *sigh*) All the while fares are getting more expensive!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
good to hear! better start fixing the k100 bellcrank in the tail hey
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:17 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,059 Posts
Yes, am wanting to do that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:55 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Well ... I've done it. Booked the vehicle. I couldn't believe the price thru Netflights in the UK so I rang them to check thru all the conditions. They did me the same price as the net, over the phone. Basically pretty a neat grand AUD for hiring a Chev Traverse (bigger than a Landcruiser and eats more fuel) for 21 days. That includes ALL the insurance options ... absolutely no more to pay. Amazing. So we should be right for transporting people and gear.

I was saying to Alex and Jarred that I'm happy to book and pay up front for the house and car and I'd like it if any others who stay or travel with me would pay a part of the daily rate for rent (say $45/night) and vehicle cost (say $15/day and some fuel) - that would be great.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:36 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,563 Posts
Sorry I'm a little late...The Traverse is not tru 4wd. It's available in FWD or AWD with an auto center locking diff. No low range gearing, and no rear diff lock. Ground clearance is poor at about 7.5".
Driving up Norco or Vincent is doubtful but OTH, Weldon or Bird Springs should be no problem at all and I highly doubt a V8 LandCruiser will get better mileage.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Stu, that's no worries really because the hire just reserves you a car of that size. They don't even guarantee that particular car. You can pick from any that are in the yard at the time you collect. So we'll check it out then.

I know exactly what you mean because the Jeep Cherokee we got last year was a useless 4WD! When we tried to get up Norco it was hopeless. But I don't think I'll be trying anything that hard core this time ... scared myself enough last time! However it did get up Weldon no worries. The Jeep Liberty was much more capable. But this time size is going to be a factor.

Hey both Jarred and Alex are under 25 ... so they won't be able to drive it! Unless you pay an extra daily fee which is too much.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
oh damn i'm very disappointed

*sarcasm
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:45 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
I spoke to Daboz just before on the phone and Stu (1000mph) rang him so we had a 3-way chat! Great to meet him in an auditory sense. It's exciting raving about all the possibilities for this big adventure! Maybe visiting Mammoth and Mt Whitney ... lots of ideas. It's a very different experience to last year when it was a last minute decision ... I only took one homebrew plane and had no expectations at all. It was like opening the door in "Thank God You're Here" ... I had no idea who I was going to meet or what the whole scenario would be on the other side. This time I'm picturing it all clearly and know what the possibilities are, and it's really exciting.

Last year Sean did a lot of the driving, - he took to driving "on the wrong side of the road" like a duck to water. I'll miss that! Being a silly old fart I get tired much too easily. And it can be nice to do some reports on the laptop while on the highway. But it sounds like Chris will pick me up and get me to Thrifty so I'll get him listed as an extra driver to help sometimes.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:44 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,059 Posts
Ah youth is such a sweet sorrow!

Bit of a bummer about that.

What also is a bit of a bummer, Had a trip to the North island which ended up being ALOT more expensive than I had planned due to various reasons I couldn't control. Kinda a bit bummed about getting myself in a situation like I did.

And work finally got back to me about sponsorship, offering $200 towards airfares, but airfares are now $400 more expensive than when I asked for sponsorship!!! really not happy about that. Was expecting more as work often promotes that they are allocated $2000 for sponsorship. Not to mention the millions of airpoints work must have accumulated by sending people overseas for work related things over the years!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:53 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Ever the diligent reporter, posting on my latest preparations ...

I got my glider box back home and using this new Aircell Insulaire stuff, made up bags for the planes that didn't have them yet. So I could try packing my planes and see how things fit. I have to decide 1) what planes I'm gonna take, and 2) how many planes I can fit in for Jarred.

In the box I've packed (in order of priority!)
1) Compact DSX (a must-have)
2) Shockwave (think I have to take this one back home to do what it does best with its new paint job)
3) Willow F3F (hard to decide whether to take it or Compact BPV. I need a plane for the F3F race and for frontside/ DS in lighter conditions)
4) Scratcho (my home brew slope/ DS fun plane. I'd love to take one over. To be honest I'd love to take a medium and a very heavy one, but ....

Planning the gear is a bit stressful if you want to take as much as you can ... and it's costly too, although economy fare allowances with Qantas are pretty good compared to some others. You're allowed 2 pieces of luggage to 23kg each. I'll have 3 pieces, with suitcase, glider box and toolbox. They charge you $50 extra for the box as it's over 23kg, and $150 for having a 3rd item. (it was nice last year when on the Bris to LA leg I got a freak upgrade to business class ... as well as the luxurious cozy seat/ bed, big movie screen and free grog, they allowed 3 items for no extra charge).

All of that comes to 26kg. There's a flat limit of 32kg max weight for any item, even if you pay the "excess weight" fee. The box itself weighs 11kg and is 210 cm x 33 x 33 cm. I made it really big last year to fit an Opus wing in easily. With my 4 planes there's plenty of space, so I can carry Jarred's planes up to 6kg.

If someone else from Brisbane came along too, who didn't have much gear, we could spread the weight out and I reckon I'd save $200 per leg!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,563 Posts
Just thinking...so how many warheads and windburners can you fit in there?
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
That's an excellent question!
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
If you try to put too many planes in there and inadvertently leave a few parts out, you may come to the U.S. with windheads or warburners.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance