HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:19 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,416 Posts
Ahhhhh thought it looked like a birdy DS..I didnt know they where balsa..?

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:47 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
Ahhhhh thought it looked like a birdy DS..I didnt know they where balsa..?

Tim
Off topic, sorry guys
For the interested ones, Birdy DS construction - http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...aubericht-quot

Andre
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:12 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
I missed you guys last year. Ill be sure to come play this time. Looking forward to spending time with everyone on the hill.

Joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:06 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,576 Posts
I've got the week after Easter off so I'll be there too.
Stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,524 Posts
I've booked the house in Kernville that we had last year.
http://www.flipkey.com/o/243979/

I'm taking it from Tues 3rd to Sat 21st, however we have to vacate it for 3 nights in the middle, 13/ 14/ 15th. The F3F race at Fermin is on the 15th. It's costing $175/night (normally 2 -300) but is really nice and big with a deck, nice view, good phone reception and fairly reliable internet and really close to supermarket, restaurants and so on. I'm hoping to split some costs with Jarred and Alex and maybe several others here and there ... guys can you let me know if this is OK. I haven't paid for a booking yet but it's reserved.

If anyone else wants to consider renting accommodation in the area, Carla from Sierra Gateway cottages is delightful. She has other houses in Kernville which are available - smaller for up to 3 people, normally 150/n but if booked for more than 4 days 125/n.
http://www.flipkey.com/o/244431/ (The Bunkhouse, Cabin #5) this is the older house across the street
http://www.flipkey.com/o/244116/ (Riverbend Cottage, #3) A charming one bedroom. one bath but has two singles in a drop down sun room, queen bed.

You can email Carla on info@sierragatewaycottages.net or phone 1-800-888-8194
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Feb 01, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:36 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
Hey Andrew,

I have 90% chance to be there with you and everybody
wife shown green ticket for my Trip uhulll
Only pre-requisite is back to home april 15, cause 16 is our wedding birthday
Well, I was thinking arrive in US april 5
I was wondering how many planes you guys will bring to Weldon
I have a RCRCM Typhoon, not good for DS but good for frontside
and I have my slope Raketenwurm 2b, if I have time I will build a new reinforced wing special for Weldon winds
builders, what about double heavy carbon (6oz) with rohacell 51 and lot of carbon tow?
I don't wanna reach freaking speed, 200mph will be fine

Andre (Mega happy hehe)
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:24 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,315 Posts
Go for it! Heaps of lead shot in the tips will help too!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:43 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,524 Posts
That's great Andre! I am going to have problems deciding what planes I can fit in my box.

The Raketenwurm would be good. If you're making one specially, just put heaps of material in it and maybe some lead in the tips. We have started using a foaming epoxy called Ampreg F230 that expands to 4 times the original volume, and it doesn't cause distortion pressure, and it's great for adding weight as well as making the wing almost indestructible! If you can get it, use it. Just put bits of blue foam inside where you are going to put servos, and over your hinge cut lines ... the Ampreg is very very hard to cut through!
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:07 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,524 Posts
Great news ... Jarred will be finishing up his work at Whistler to come down to Socal. He's re-joining the Navy to do an Avionics degree. It's great news because it means he won't be pressured to get back in a hurry, and can hang around for almost the whole time. I'm rapt about that. The only drama is he wants me to bring his planes over ... Aaaargh, not sure if I can fit everything in the box! But I'll try. We had a long chat over Facetime earlier making plans.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:11 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
I thought the easiest part would be book my flight ticket using miles...
not that easy, there isn't a single seat for me, I check the prices to pay for it and Arrrgh, too expensive!! I could by a complete Wizzard Compact using that money
If I didn't get it I will book for the next year and start a new thread "Socal international DS week 2013"

Andre
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,524 Posts
That's a shame Andre. That's the problem with miles/ points. I got in early and scored. But keep a lookout for special deals ... it's amazing how the prices can vary. The travel agents buy discounted seats so sometimes one mob will have nothing cheap, but another company has plenty. Also they can suddenly come out with special new cheap deals. I found that looking at flights to NZ on our travel sites was expensive until I looked at the prices posted by Air NZ in their own country ... much cheaper!
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
Monza, Italy
Joined Dec 2006
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
That's great Andre! I am going to have problems deciding what planes I can fit in my box.

The Raketenwurm would be good. If you're making one specially, just put heaps of material in it and maybe some lead in the tips. We have started using a foaming epoxy called Ampreg F230 that expands to 4 times the original volume, and it doesn't cause distortion pressure, and it's great for adding weight as well as making the wing almost indestructible! If you can get it, use it. Just put bits of blue foam inside where you are going to put servos, and over your hinge cut lines ... the Ampreg is very very hard to cut through!
Good to know !!
Thank to suggest the use of blue foam where such room is needed, this will prevent probable anger and tedious wasting time .

Are you using the two components only F230, or the three components F230-1 Resin+Hardner+FoamingAgent) ???

Here in europe I have not been able to find someone who is able to provide F230 in quantities suitable Model making, but I found only about 18kg packs and over, equivalent to a final volume of 70-80 liters of foam, which is the typical package you find in Australia ??

Antonio.
andreis is offline Find More Posts by andreis
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:31 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,524 Posts
The Ampreg F230 pack that we have here is 3.9kg of resin,and it looks like 1 litre of hardener. The label shows the manufacturer as Gurit (or SP Gurit). It has a contact phone no. +44 (0) 1983 828000.

You just mix the resin plus hardener. No foaming agent necessary. I have the slow hardener. Timbuck has used both the slow and fast hardeners but in warm ambient temperatures you need to be careful of exotherming heat with the fast hardener.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:10 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,524 Posts
I was looking at car rental prices (a totally bamboozling process) and since it looks like we'll have 3 of us Australasians together, a larger vehicle might be useful.

I found a blindingly good deal on a Chevvy Traverse via Netflights, with Dollar rentals.

To you US guys ... is the Chevvy Traverse OK? Can't tell the practicality of the size from the pics but it can carry 7 people I think, so I am worried as to whether it might be way TOOO big!
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:41 PM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
The Traverse is smaller than a full size SUV. 3 guys with gliders and gear and luggage? I'd be looking at full size SUV.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp