SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Get Real, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:40 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Discussion
Slicko SL 4oz 32'' 3D EPP Plane Video!

A little shy of getting it under 4oz with the current gear i have but will get the really light weight build stuff ordered when i can for the next one. A 4oz 3d epp plane is very light,very noticeable difference in wingloading compared to the common 6oz or more 3d epp foamies out there in the 32'' size. Its about 30% lighter than most of the 32'' epp planes ive flown and even a little lighter than a milled depron f3p style plane i built recently though im using a lighter power combo in the slicko sl. With winter cold and high winds lately it probably wont see much outdoor flying but at the current weight it would be really nice at a indoor venue. Thanks to Kevin at RCPLANEBUILDER for letting me try out the plans for these planes.

Slicko SL 4oz 32'' 3D EPP Plane Test Flight! (3 min 18 sec)

Slicko SL Flying At RaceWorld Raceway 4.6oz Set Up (1 min 47 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Jan 30, 2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Updated pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:08 AM View Post
jetrtrteer
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:08 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
510 Posts
Sweet plane - can you detail what parts you used?
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
Dleep
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
246 Posts
Nice job. I to have been working on liter EPP planes but have not yet broke even the 7oz barear.
good work
dleep
dleep is offline Find More Posts by dleep
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Dleep Thanks,its not difficult to get a plane this size down to 5oz or less and mid to low 4oz is fairly easy to. Under 4oz will take a little work and component selections helps a lot with that. I used what i had but there is lighter power stuff out there to get the next plane this size under 4oz.

Seojeff,t-motor 1804 outrunner,7x3.5 gws prop,turnigy plush 6amp esc,rc pro packs 220mah 2s 25c lipo,power hd 6g servo on ailerons,4.4 power hd's on the tail but ive swapped one of them out for the dsm 44 6g servo on elevator and will probably do the same on rudder. Im still trying various equipment on the plane but 4 to 4 1/2oz or less should be easy to achieve by average builders with similar gear. I didnt shorten wires or run micro tube carbon or pull controls or anything to really get the weight lower than 4oz but if i left off the landing gear and did a few little things i could maybe get it just under 4oz... i like landing gear to much for the looks and something for the plane to rest on when its not flying though so its staying on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:01 PM
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Mar 2007
371 Posts
slicko

looks good... anyway to get plans? thanks
corsair214 is offline Find More Posts by corsair214
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
Kevin is a great guy. Now I am wondering if this is something RCBuilder will be selling. Very interested.

Bob

Or maybe just the plans.......:-)
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:13 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Its not my design.. not my call on the plans .

Slicko SL Outdoor Power Set Up 4.7oz (4 min 13 sec)

Keep in mind the SL is flying with a suppo 2204-14t with a modest pack and is 4.7oz auw with 6g servos .
Slicko 32 and SL (4 min 48 sec)

Slicko 38''
Slicko 38'' (3 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:25 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair214 View Post
looks good... anyway to get plans? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Kevin is a great guy. Now I am wondering if this is something RCBuilder will be selling. Very interested.

Bob

Or maybe just the plans.......:-)
Thanks guys!

The Slicko has been a long time in the works. Get Real and myself have been going back and forth with different tweaks to get it just right. I will be posting free plans soon as well as selling printed plans and cut kits on www.rcplanebuilder.com. I just built another 32" 9mm EPP outdoor version with the AUW of 6.75oz. I'm using a heavy RX, I should be able to shave it down to 6.5oz. I'm really excited with how it came out. We've dialed in the best hinging, bracing and electronics to make it light, durable and rigid. It flies suprisingly crisp and precise.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
The 9mm 32'' version has been 5.9 to 6.5oz depending on set ups for me,i really need to order a airbrush this year,just jazzed up the SL with some stickers for now. Haven't flown outdoors for a while and the wind is really howling today but have been flying the slicko sl inside when i can in and out of doorways and bouncing off stuff inside the house .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:17 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Actually went out to a open field to fly today,brought the slicko with and some other stuff. Was nice to fly somewhere besides the front room or the yard thats more open. Was a little windy but got a quick flight with the sl while i was out.

Slicko SL Outdoor Flying In Wind! (4 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:44 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
There are times when I prefer the wind with a foamie.

Ken, may package deals (motor/prop/kit)...just a thought. I have something in the 32 inch area so looking to see how the 38" works out.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
Got to fly the slicko sl in a more open indoor area when i went to the track.. really nice to fly indoors in a larger area. Did a snap roll near the end of the flight and the prop flew off .. put a new prop saver band on after.

Slicko SL Flying At RaceWorld Raceway 4.6oz Set Up (1 min 47 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
...,its not difficult to get a plane this size down to 5oz or less and mid to low 4oz is fairly easy to. ...
Hi Get Real.

Thanks for this thread. I'm looking forward to the plan for the Slicko 32". What is the trick to get an 32" EPP plane under 5oz? Is it a special EPP foam? How thick is the foam on your Slicko 32"? My milled Spirit 845 EPP is just above 6oz. It is fun to fly but due to the EPP and it's weight IMHO it is also a kind of indifferent to fly.

BTW: It's time to renew my UMX Extra 300. Can you imagine to build a EPP plane with the components of the UMX Extra 300, that will be minimum on the same weight and will fly as well as the Extra?
Slickx is offline Find More Posts by Slickx
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:44 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,991 Posts
The Slicko SL is 6mm epp,the easiest way to keep weight down in a airframe without milling or fancy build methods is component selection. Ive seen many posts of people flying the same epp planes i am coming out much heavier than mine came out and they ask how did you get yours so light? After looking at there set ups the answer is easy.. Components most of the time. Some have had planes that can be built at 6oz but theirs come out at 8oz because they use a 800mah pack or large receivers and servos etc. The best way to have a plane fly well and come in at the spec weight from the manufacturer is to use gear that falls into the same specs on weight as suggested. I usually fly a few set ups in just about every epp plane i have.. higher powered to lightly powered usually and then decide on a set up for the particular plane based on flight characteristics and overall feel with different wingloadings and power levels. The slicko sl i set up strictly for indoor at a fairly light weight but the standard 9mm slicko i like better with more weight and power for outdoors at 6-6.5oz. Hope that helps,BTW the spirit was a really nice f3p style plane and precise.. i had one quite a while back and flew it at 7.2oz and all the way down to 5.9oz auw. If you wanted to use UMX extra 300 gear in a epp plane the airframe would have to be much smaller than the 32'' slicko.
RCG Plus Member