HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
I'm thinking of getting a heli but not sure i should take the chance on one from HK

i just found Hobbyking the other day they have a 4ch mini coax for 32 plus shipping

Hobbyking PRODUCT ID: HK136-M2
2.4Ghz Micro Coax Helicopter 4 Channel (RTF - Mode 2)

VS

the Eflight MCX
I have seen these fly at my local hobby store and i was wondering if anyone could compare them

1)are the flight characteristics the same or close to same
2)if i break it will any mcx parts work on it
3) is it modable (can i easily use slightly bigger batteries to get longer run times) also the mcx has glow parts that if swappable i would love to use.
Jack Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Jack Daniels
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:59 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
MCX2 is the current model and it is a world product, fully supported by multiple sellers at the same price +/- shipping policy. (Unless you live in AU where Horizon products are greatly overpriced.)

The HK price is obviously much more attractive but there is little telling exactly what you're buying and little recourse if it's not as expected.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:26 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,170 Posts
Jack, Welcome to RCG. The HK136-M2 is a rebranded Great Wall Xieda 9998. Although I don't own a 9998, I do own several of its sibling, 9958. The main difference between the two is that 9998 is a coaxial helicopter, while the 9958 is a single rotor helicopter. They are both "inspired" by the Eflight counterparts, namely the mCX and the mSR. And they are at a fraction of the price.

If the build quality and flight characteristics of the 9958 is any indication of that of the 9998, you are in for a treat! The 9958 is well loved by the people in this forum. The 9998 has been hard to find, and therefore, has less of a following. But you could visit the following threads to be more informed:

9998 thread
9958 reference thread
9958 discussion thread

To me, the biggest attraction of the 9958 are (1) low entry price, (2) low cost spare parts; most parts are $1, and (3) Rx is compatible with a low cost, highly programmable Turnigy 9x radio. Feel free to stop by at one of those threads mentioned above, and have a chat with other owners.

The 9998 will share the same attractions of the 9958. But a single rotor helicopter will out perform any coaxial in outdoor flying. Therefore, if you mind is set on a 4ch coaxial, I would not hesitate to recommend the HK126/GW9998. However, if you mind is not set on a coaxial, I would encourage you to take a look at the HK190/GW9958 single rotor version. Both of them are very modifiable - seems like a thing that you're looking for.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
i'm trying to get something around 40 and being beaten at every turn cause of the shipping to the us any suggestions?
Jack Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Jack Daniels
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:31 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
i'm trying to get something around 40 and being beaten at every turn cause of the shipping to the us any suggestions?
seems like you may have to look at getting a used one from inside the us then ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:33 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Buying from China...
Amazon has some ConUS shippers.
Think rc is CA based.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,170 Posts
That's a bit of a tall order, Jack. Considering most 3ch toys are going for $25+ shipped, and some go as high as $40, you are looking to get a good 4ch for about the same price is going to be difficult. The ones that I've been recommending to you is less than $10 over your $40 goal. I just don't think I could do much better to help.

You could sift through this bargain thread and look for cheap 4chs there. But remember, you get what you paid for. Some of these cheaper models don't have similar flight quality and support is next to nil. I couldn't really recommend them, but you're welcome to shop. You just might find something you like for the amount you want to pay. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:25 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
BIG 5 here has what appears to be S107s for $39.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
To me, the biggest attraction of the 9958 are (1) low entry price, (2) low cost spare parts; most parts are $1, and (3) Rx is compatible with a low cost, highly programmable Turnigy 9x radio. Feel free to stop by at one of those threads mentioned above, and have a chat with other owners.
This heli works with my 9x? What other helis work with my 9x? Is this the HK-190? Cause the great wall 9958 would have to be ordered elsewhere.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,170 Posts
By "This" I think you meant the GW-9958, which is the same as the HK-190, and yes, they work with the 9x and it's a blast. So, that also means the GW-9998 and the HK-136 also works with the 9x. You should take a closer look at the Reference Thread I posted in post #3.