SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:35 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4565 View Post
When I first got mine I thought there was a problem with the USB cable or connector as my PC wouldn't recognise it; took me a few seconds to work out that you actually have to turn the camera on before the PC will 'see' it. This may be obvious to some (if I had of read the manual it would have been obvious to me too :-) but it had me scratching my head initially, especially as my old #3 didn't need to be switched on for the PC to see it.
I have three of them and I like to do it that way as it is faster for the PC to recognize it. If you forget then plug it in, see the green light, turn it on and presto a red light comes on, then wait a little bit as the yellow light comes on and then wait for the red light to come back on and you will hear a confirmation beep from the PC. After this procedure you can release the power key. It works for me every time.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmimages View Post
I have three of them and I like to do it that way as it is faster for the PC to recognize it. If you forget then plug it in, see the green light, turn it on and presto a red light comes on, then wait a little bit as the yellow light comes on and then wait for the red light to come back on and you will hear a confirmation beep from the PC. After this procedure you can release the power key. It works for me every time.
To be more specific, with the #16 you need to press the power button UNTIL the yellow LED turns on. Depending on which firmware and user setting is in the camera, this can be in less than 1 sec., or for as long as 2-3 sec. Once the yellow LED turns on you can and should release the Power button. Holding it down too long can accidentally turn if off again.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
I'm Breaking My Own Thread Protocol

<thread topic protocol momentarily OFF>

In view of recent posts and interest here with a linked video sample of a new 1080 camera (which is still "vaporware"), I have gotten the approval from the #16 developer to show what is under development in his shop.

Here is a link where you can download a NATIVE video from a prototype. NOTE: Click on the blue box that says "Click here for download from Sendspace". If you get any pop-up's from "ilivid", close them all to get back to the original savespace.com site, and look for the actual video download box near the bottom of the page. You have the option to play it from there or download it to your PC.

The above sample video was shot with a wide angle lens as the moderate fisheye distortion shows. I hope to have a sample prototype in several weeks for early testing, and will be able to share more details once I actually have one. Here is all I can tell you at this point (so don't bother asking for more info):

The camera will be NOT be in a typical 808 keychain design nor case size, but I expect it to still be quite small... close to the #11 Jumbo case in size. The camera will have larger, better optics, new chip sets, and will consume more power so will need a larger battery for decent recording times. Cooling of the camera components also requires that the case not be so jam packed with all the goodies! So a larger case size and weight come with the territory.

The camera is planned to output 1080p @ 30fps (like the above sample), plus 720p @ 60 fps and 640x480 @ 120 fps along with composite video out. Also, the goal is to have most of the functionality of the current #16, though some of that will likely come with FW updates after the initial release as the new functions are developed. I'll know what is likely to be in the released version when I have a prototype in my hands.

As with any vaporware, everything is subject to change... no promises! But I wanted to let you know the #16 developer has been working hard behind the scenes to come up with a better camera at a reasonable price that will fill a niche many have been wishing for between the #16 and the GoPro. So now you know there is another 1080p alternative coming that may be what you have been wanting.

And finally, the #16 camera is NOT going to be discontinued. It still nicely fills a niche for many users, and discussion of it here will continue. The new camera, though, is off topic here and will need it's own discussion thread at the appropriate time, so please wait for more information and keep this thread discussion about the #16.

<thread topic protocol back ON>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 22, 2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: video link download clarification.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldalo View Post
I got my 808 #16 v2 with D lens yesterday.
Alot better than my #9 ! Especially the photo quality.
My problem is the cables that came with it ( 5v input ) , video out is ok.
I have red & yellow wires on 5v cable. ( red appears to be negative )
Can anyone please clarify this for me ?

Thanks , Alan
Even though the wiring has been confirmed (Yellow is +5v and Red is ground), I wanted to mention the developer confirmed this was only a temporary measure. The normal cables are custom made with the conventional red, white and black wires, but during the Chinese New Year break, the supply of those cables was used up. Rather than keeping customers waiting until the normal cables were back in supply, they used standard USB cables to make up the video out cables, hence the color change.

If any one who received the off-color wire cables is unsatisfied it, you may contact your eBay seller for confirmation and a free standard cable replacement.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:00 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Wow Tom, you can't post something like that and now we have to wait. The new development seems awesome. It would be really cool to see an alternate jack for the video line out other than the USB. Really cool.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:25 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,949 Posts
Thanks for the update Tom, I tend to mostly just monitor threads I've posted in so could easily miss a new thread if it wasn't mentioned here.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:29 PM
Vparanormal
United States, IL, Yorkville
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
virus on link to new keycam HD 1080?

I feel the link to the new keycam HD 1080 seems to be a virus,it was detected by my webroot. If you look, the link is NOT .MOV but an executable.
animan109 is offline Find More Posts by animan109
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:53 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
397 Posts
Just want to give a shout of thanks to Tom and others. I have had various key chain cameras in the past but had never been to this thread on RC groups. Didn't really know about it till I read all of Chuck Lohr's page, I had just grazed his page before. Now I know I've had the 3, 8 and 9 before I got the 16 from Massiverc. I kept wondering why every on liked the key chains cams so much, mine were not that great. I also tried the Q5 Mini, The Mini HD, both Walkera's camera's (400 & Hoten). The best was the HD Wing Cam from Hobby king. I started using the small dashcams on the Hoten. Finally got a #16 from Massive RC and it was really good,but why wasn't mine acting like some of the others. Well now I know........ Thanks for your efforts guys, you allhave really made this into a functional little camera. I just happy that now I know the wee bugger is actually recording before I fly........

In one fella's defence it is very hard to wade through 600 some odd pages to find answers but.....

VERY GOOD JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
weedan is online now Find More Posts by weedan
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, MN, Thief River Falls
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animan109 View Post
I feel the link to the new keycam HD 1080 seems to be a virus,it was detected by my webroot. If you look, the link is NOT .MOV but an executable.
It worked for me! Try this direct link -
http://fs04n1.sendspace.com/dl/0e356...080p_30fps.MOV
ezragrothe is offline Find More Posts by ezragrothe
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animan109 View Post
Un-check the box and download the .MOV ...
dirkzelf is offline Find More Posts by dirkzelf
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedan View Post
In one fella's defence it is very hard to wade through 600 some odd pages to find answers but.....

VERY GOOD JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you noticed the thread title, it says to read posts #1-#5 first. Many questions are answered there or linked to other post that have some answers. And the thread search tool linked in the forum header can find other posts via key words you need help with.

You never need to wade through all the posts unless you want to.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
397 Posts
First one's I read, very glad you fella's keep them updated.
weedan is online now Find More Posts by weedan
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann821 View Post
Can anyone confirm for me....If I use the servo 5v plug to my reciever , can the camera handle 6v? I'm useing a 2 pack 6v A123 to power my rx and servos ??? If anything I could get a voltage regulator or step down to bring to 5.4. But I'd rather not have to buy one if I don't have too?

Also am I correct that I need to remove the cameras stock battery if I choose to power it via my rx or an external USB baterry backup supply????
an A123 cell is 3.7volts fully charged, so 2 are 7.4 volts which WAY WAY too high for the USB socket - 5volts +- 5%.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Tom , do you know if any key chain camera in the making that will be able to output HD video like the gopro? For FPVer's a micro HD camera capable of outputting HD video is worth its weight in gold!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
Vparanormal
United States, IL, Yorkville
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
Outputting an HD HDMI or equivalent siganl is not very useful right now because the FPV X-mitters can NOT handle the bandwidth of HD, so the composite video out (480P) is all that is required for FPV. There are HD 720P X-mitters for audio/video systems but they are huge and only have a 150 foot range..
animan109 is offline Find More Posts by animan109