SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:44 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
A couple of test videos I've made. One comparing a DealExtreme 0.67x on my version 1 16# and the second my 16# v2 with the 120 D lense. The other a D lense test clip. 67 firmware.

The D is obviously much wider, but there's very little in it quality wise. Interesting colour difference in one part of one clip. The pub that is. Both performed pretty well in the local supermarket.

I think my D lense is focused a bit close, and I couldn't refocus as I couldn't free the thread (despite careful picking at the glue.) The obvious advantage of the 120 is there's nothing to fall off, or get dislodged as with the magnetic lense.

I think both clips are very impressive for such a budget camera.

The Best HD key chain cam 16 test - 120 wide (or D lense) or DealExtreme 0.67x magnetic? (2 min 17 sec)

At last a decent test clip - HD Key Chain Cam 16 with the new 120 D lense. (1 min 10 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:09 AM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
664 Posts
Guess I didn't realize: Buy a battery, get a case. Buy a lens, get a case. I'm now swimming in cases!

I also didn't realize that digitalele and eletoponline were the same guy. I guess the "ELE" part should have given it away.

Still diggin' my old V1 16.

-Craig
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:11 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob18 View Post
I am using a fisheye on top of the A lens, so it is much wider and has much more distortion than a D lens.

I also have the D lens (also a fisheye), but mine terribly out of focus and I haven't gotten around to manually focusing it.
Adding a wider view lens to the B or D lens just distorts or vignettes (a lot!) the image.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:13 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Craig View Post
Guess I didn't realize: Buy a battery, get a case. Buy a lens, get a case. I'm now swimming in cases!

I also didn't realize that digitalele and eletoponline were the same guy. I guess the "ELE" part should have given it away.

Still diggin' my old V1 16.

-Craig
Valspar Primer doesn't orange-peel the original black paint, like all the other paints I've tried, if you're into changing case colors.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Adding a wider view lens to the B or D lens just distorts or vignettes (a lot!) the image.
Yes it has a lot of distortion, which does not bother me as this is just the nature of a curvilinear ultra-wide fisheye.. I would prefer a rectilinear ultra-wide, but that just is not going to happen .

Vignetting does bother me, which is why I added it on the A and not one of the others.
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:39 PM
It only cost 50 honest!
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Oct 2007
360 Posts
Are the new case style cameras shipping yet?
David Parry is offline Find More Posts by David Parry
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:01 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob18 View Post
Yes it has a lot of distortion, which does not bother me as this is just the nature of a curvilinear ultra-wide fisheye.. I would prefer a rectilinear ultra-wide, but that just is not going to happen .

Vignetting does bother me, which is why I added it on the A and not one of the others.
The 4:3 image crops the edge distortion of the D lens somewhat.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:30 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Got a cable question.
I read that you would ruin this camera if you used one of the "special" USB cables on it.
I am about to order a #16 and already have a #11 and a #3.
I am sure a cable came with one of those.
How do I identify this "special" cable so that I don't ruin my new #16 since all of my USB cables are in one pile and I don't see any that are distinctly "special".

Thanks,
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:51 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
The #16s come with a USB cable, and an AV outcable set.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:55 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
It appears that I got 2 hours of time from a 4-cell 720 mah Nimh. The time resetting itself is offputting though.
With a 4-cell charged 1000 mah receiver battery in the USB port,and the internal battery connected, I got 2 hours 8 minutes of operation in the motion detect mode.
I kinda expect hooking up the USB port to a voltage source set to about 5 volts will power the camera all day...or as long as I'm out of the house and want to see if anyone comes in while I'm out.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:58 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
How do I identify this "special" cable so that I don't ruin my new #16
IIRC the 'special' cables for my #11s were side-by-side twin core flex ... so the cable itself looked different.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:27 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Thanks Bill.
I don't see that in my pile so I hope I am safe.
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:13 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Got a cable question.
I read that you would ruin this camera if you used one of the "special" USB cables on it.
I am about to order a #16 and already have a #11 and a #3.
I am sure a cable came with one of those.
How do I identify this "special" cable so that I don't ruin my new #16 since all of my USB cables are in one pile and I don't see any that are distinctly "special".

Thanks,
Walt
The "special" cable will have +5V on pin #4 in the small miniUSB plug end. The normal USB cable will have +5V on pine #1. Pin #5 is ground, so it is almost impossible to check the voltage on the special mini USB plug end with a multi-meter without risking grounding the +5V!

The early V1 #16 cameras do not have pin #4 connected to anything, but current v2 cameras do (video out signal)! The #11 "special cable" should not be connected to a #16 camera!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 09, 2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: corrected for current v2 camera pin-outs
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
So I've been looking around and I'm trying to find a way to turn off the standby and "recording start" blinking LED for the motion detection setting on the #16. I guess I could cut a small circular piece of electricians black tape but is there a setting I'm missing or a future firmware update that will include this? I'm trying for a surveillance application and I'll be using the camera for lower-light conditions outdoors and the standby light is like a beacon of attention. Thanks!
solo88 is offline Find More Posts by solo88
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Hi. I just ordered and received the #16 HD Keycam from eBay and my first few test videos were terribly out of focus. I went to this forum and found the instructions on how to connect the camera to your laptop using webcam mode and focus the lens, but turning the lens does not have any effect on the focus. The lens is easy to turn and can easily be removed from the case without disassembling the case. Do I have a defective camera? I have the V2 camera with the "D" lens.
Mike McAndrew is offline Find More Posts by Mike McAndrew