HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
631 Posts
Hey Tom - those look like nice improvements!

Will there also be these improvements on the 120 angle one?

I'm looking at investing in one - but unsure which one to go for now (will I get the improvements?)?

I look at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DV-808-...item4aba70adb7 but am unsure if this is the correct one!

Any help much appreciated .
Add1ct3dd is offline Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:59 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
Hey Tom - those look like nice improvements!

Will there also be these improvements on the 120 angle one?

I'm looking at investing in one - but unsure which one to go for now (will I get the improvements?)?

I look at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DV-808-...item4aba70adb7 but am unsure if this is the correct one!

Any help much appreciated .
I answered all your questions in my post! See the paragraph just prior to the one that is in underlined italic font. If you look at the list of verified sellers linked in post #1 here, you will know if you are dealing with a reputable seller who will be offering the new improvements.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Great improvements. This camera has the benefit of a massive community behind it.

Just to put it out there, if the lens was facing out of the large flat surface at the rear of the case it would suit my purposes perfectly. I don't know if it's a popular suggestion but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Well done on continually improving on an already excellent camera.
Kevin IRL is offline Find More Posts by Kevin IRL
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin IRL View Post
Great improvements. This camera has the benefit of a massive community behind it.

Just to put it out there, if the lens was facing out of the large flat surface at the rear of the case it would suit my purposes perfectly. I don't know if it's a popular suggestion but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Well done on continually improving on an already excellent camera.
That's exactly what I would like too, but I think we are in the vast minority!

Almost 2 years ago I posted my mod for the #11, also here. I'm not sure if the ribbon cable is long enough in the #16. I have a few old #11s with this mod and they still work. I haven't had the time to try it on the #16, but it would certainly work if the cable is long enough. Making the hole in the correct place is easy if you first make the template based on the second link but using a transparent back so you can mark the lens position.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:16 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Nice improvements. But I wonder, why they stick to the fake-buttons. I sometimes have to think one second which button to press.

George
fastguy is offline Find More Posts by fastguy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
That's exactly what I would like too, but I think we are in the vast minority!

Almost 2 years ago I posted my mod for the #11, also here. I'm not sure if the ribbon cable is long enough in the #16. I have a few old #11s with this mod and they still work. I haven't had the time to try it on the #16, but it would certainly work if the cable is long enough. Making the hole in the correct place is easy if you first make the template based on the second link but using a transparent back so you can mark the lens position.
I've opened my #16 up and there is room to do this. There's precisely enough excess ribbon cable to do it as in your #11.

Would this be an easier way to find the correct place for the new hole? Drill a camera size hole into a small cut off of the sticky part of a post-it note and position it perfectly on the lens and then replace the cover. Where the hole in the paper is on the case is where to drill the new hole.
Kevin IRL is offline Find More Posts by Kevin IRL
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
OK I've just spent half the morning meticulously picking away at the glue on the threads of my D lens with a fine needle. Not even a brain surgeon could done more. It's just not going to budge. My question is: Has any one out there ordered the D lens and if so is there a better than 50-50 chance of receiving one that can be focused?
Randbo39 is online now Find More Posts by Randbo39
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo39 View Post
OK I've just spent half the morning meticulously picking away at the glue on the threads of my D lens with a fine needle. Not even a brain surgeon could done more. It's just not going to budge. My question is: Has any one out there ordered the D lens and if so is there a better than 50-50 chance of receiving one that can be focused?
Mine came short focussed. I got it loose, unscrewing, anticlockwise looking into the lens, then pick off remaining glue. You don't need much to fix it, maybe 15-30 deg.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
I just tried dabbing some CA remover on the threads. I seems to be breaking down the glue but still no luck turning the lens. Yes mine is short focused too.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................2 hours later.

The CA remover finally did the trick. Now I'm glad I didn't succumb to the temptation of using a hammer.
Randbo39 is online now Find More Posts by Randbo39
Last edited by Randbo39; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:10 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Mine came short focussed. I got it loose, unscrewing, anticlockwise looking into the lens, then pick off remaining glue. You don't need much to fix it, maybe 15-30 deg.
Same here with lens D. Original focus distance was about 1-3ft. I used a small box cutter (I don't have an exacto which I think will be more accurate) and carefully cut away the glue right between where lens module thread meets lens thread to the outside. Didn't take much force just needed to make sure to do it all the way around. Make sure to grab the lens module to turn.
Race Miata is online now Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:23 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Is the picture quality lie, this because of the low light?

V959 FPV with GWS props (6 min 19 sec)
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:58 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin IRL View Post
I was wondering why one would want to do that mod.
But then I got to thinking about when I had to use the camera on a plane to search for my downed F16 in the
snake infested swamp reeds south of our field's fence line.

I'm guessing the idea being that camera can be mounted in fuselage, under the fuse or under a wing so it can look straight down,
to make the search easier?

B!

PS: Love the lastest updates to both the firmware and the hardware, Looks like I'm gunna have buy yet another #16!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:28 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Is the picture quality lie, this because of the low light?

http://youtu.be/lALYKGSR1KU
Looks like your CA encounter with the lens has indeed made some damage. The upper left corner seems less contrasty and/or sharp. Either there's still some residue on the front element, it's scratched or part of the coating is off.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Mm mm I also thought so.. But I don't see that difference in broad daylight... Only if there is some glare,,Will do more testing tomorrow to see if I can pick that up u under good light conditions...
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:38 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
167 Posts
Sounds like some coating is out. I know coating often (if not always) helps improve contrast, more so in higher contrast situation and with glare (perhaps that's where the name anti-glare coating comes from) than in just broad daylight situation like you suggested. Hope that it's just something that's catching the glare instead and can be cleaned off. After watching that video I clicked to your video page and side-by-side between the thumbnails of your 2 latest videos the difference is quite noticeable.