HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:10 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
I have to say I really like this camera. I've been using it for about a month now and have mostly replaced my GoPro with it. Even though the GoPro can do better video (not to say this does'nt do great) this camera out preforms it in most other areas, and produces's an excellent video. Its lighter and cheaper(a lot cheaper) and you can get replacement parts for it. I payed a fortune for my GoPro and if it gets damaged it's done.

Thank you for making this camera what it is.

I only have one for now but will be getting some more.

I pulled these from one of my flight videos from today.
Pretty high up or pretty low clouds (or both!). It could be hazy up there, but at first glance, it looks like your images could be a little sharper if you wanted to attempt refocusing your lens. It's not uncommon for them to be biased for the near field of view rather than very distant scenes like AV captures.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
Anyone interested to participate in upcoming discussions regarding Android Configuration Assistant, please send me an email with subject: Android

therau2000@videotron.ca

For all those who have already done so, there is no need to send another email.
Anything for iOS
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:53 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
Just wanted to give an update on my slight interference issues using vid out from the #16 v2 with a directly soldered wire...
By moving the wire further away from the board, I eliminate all the interference EXCEPT when it starts recording... Once recording starts there is some slight interference....
I could try a different type of wire perhaps...
But it will be a hassle to unmount the cam from the micro quad and resolder...currently it's livable..
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
I still get some slight vibration on my camera.. Mostly coz I have taken out the case and the camera is "fixed" to the board only with insulation tape... It is fixed ok but is slightly "wiggly" with the board being fixed hard to the frame, anyone have any tips for this?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
For my #16 camera, i have installed the latest firmware (v0.67 MOV FW) but the video seems to be a little bit foggy/ fade...which make the images a little bit low in colour.

Is there any fix for that or is it normal. My camera is installed with red lens.
Ajithkumarc is offline Find More Posts by Ajithkumarc
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:07 AM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
I would try mounting the cam at a slight downward angle to stop the picture from going dark all the time,,shouldnt need too much angle and wont loose too much sky from the pic,,have any of you guys tried this ? whats the magic angle ?
I've tried aiming downwards before but I prefer aiming at horzion more. On this one, I deliberately mount the cam aiming at horizon espeically for sunset footage because I want as dark as possible to not have the beautiful red sky washed out. I deliberately took the screenshots when the image was the darkest for that reason.

Even not for sunset recording, I still prefer aiming at horizon. I don't mind the objects on the ground a bit dark when the aircraft is aiming at the horizon and the objects turn brighter when I'm aiming below horizon.
Race Miata is offline Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:26 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2011
51 Posts
Update

I've ordered the #16 Keychain Camera and I was wondering if I will need to do a firmware update on it or will it have the newest update already installed in it. Thanks.
jabbey71 is offline Find More Posts by jabbey71
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbey71 View Post
I've ordered the #16 Keychain Camera and I was wondering if I will need to do a firmware update on it or will it have the newest update already installed in it. Thanks.
Nobody can tell you for sure, but since the 0.67 firmware has been out for a while you may be lucky. You'll almost certainly want to update the date and time, so when you receive your camera, just fire up the GUI and connect your camera. The GUI will tell you which firmware version is installed and you may want to modify some parameters while you are at it. Otherwise, just save the data, which will automatically synchronize the date and time to that of your PC.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:29 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Pretty high up or pretty low clouds (or both!). It could be hazy up there, but at first glance, it looks like your images could be a little sharper if you wanted to attempt refocusing your lens. It's not uncommon for them to be biased for the near field of view rather than very distant scenes like AV captures.
I snatched them out of the video instead of of snapshot and it messed up the detail. If I get a chance I post some of the video. It looked much better in the video.
metalbender4by is online now Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:36 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Quote:
Anyone interested to participate in upcoming discussions regarding Android Configuration Assistant, please send me an email with subject: Android

therau2000@videotron.ca

For all those who have already done so, there is no need to send another email.

Anything for iOS
I think this answers your question:

Quote:
From time to time I receive emails about various subjects. For everyone's benefit, these are answers to the most frequently asked questions.

First, the bad news:
USB communication on Mac OS X and CA on iPad/iPhone: unfortunately there will not be any CA version with USB communication on any Apple product

And then, the good news:
CA with USB communication on Android: following several requests, I am looking into it again. I am currently finalizing an Android preview 2B-mini GUI with full-features USB communication. It should be available for download soon; stay tuned...
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:44 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
In the new version of the firmware the low battery sign seems to come on at around 3.8v (in vid out mode)

Is that the norm for most people?

Does anyone know how what the lvc is .. Ie at what voltage it will cutout?

Any chance in the next firmware release to make it configurable as at what voltage to get the low voltage message (and for how long it should display - and where on the screen)?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
In the new version of the firmware the low battery sign seems to come on at around 3.8v (in vid out mode)

Any chance in the next firmware release to make it configurable as at what voltage to get the low voltage message (and for how long it should display - and where on the screen)?
The camera will turn off when the voltage falls to approx. 3.5V (see here). Depending on the age of the battery it will take longer or shorter to reach this figure. The developer decided on a "safe" value so you have just enough time to land when flying fpv.

Theoretically it would be possible to define a whole bunch of additional parameters, especially relating to the icons on the TV-Out signal. This would, however, greatly increase the complexity of the firmware and the configuration program. I believe the line has to be drawn somewhere, but I'm sure the developer will take note of all suggestions. More parameters also equals more bug possibilities. Adding even more values than are already available would only confuse the majority of users.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The camera will turn off when the voltage falls to approx. 3.5V (see here). Depending on the age of the battery it will take longer or shorter to reach this figure. The developer decided on a "safe" value so you have just enough time to land when flying fpv.

Theoretically it would be possible to define a whole bunch of additional parameters, especially relating to the icons on the TV-Out signal. This would, however, greatly increase the complexity of the firmware and the configuration program. I believe the line has to be drawn somewhere, but I'm sure the developer will take note of all suggestions. More parameters also equals more bug possibilities. Adding even more values than are already available would only confuse the majority of users.
Just to back up your observations:-
It cant really work any lower than 3.5V before it turns off as most memory cards are 3.3V write voltage. Any lower and their will be a failed write to the card potentially loosing your video footage and damaging the card with a failed write command. As the card takes more current in the "writing mode", 3.5V is the safest minimum without incurring a voltage drop lower than 3.3 at the card itself.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:18 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
Just to back up your observations:-
It cant really work any lower than 3.5V before it turns off as most memory cards are 3.3V write voltage. Any lower and their will be a failed write to the card potentially loosing your video footage and damaging the card with a failed write command. As the card takes more current in the "writing mode", 3.5V is the safest minimum without incurring a voltage drop lower than 3.3 at the card itself.
The 3.5V might be a typo... I remembered it as being measured at 3.7V, which as I recall was measured at the battery wire terminals (Isoprop's link to his extensive camera power post actually mentions 3.7V in the Internal Battery paragraph). During my brief FW testing with a healthy internal battery, the FW was tweaked to get the alert to come on about 1 minute before the camera actually shut down, which I think is reasonable. This will vary somewhat with different batteries, of course, depending on their voltage decay rate.

FWIW, the graphics chip in the camera generates large icons on it's own for a variety of video-out functions, including a large "low battery" sign which obliterates about 80% of the display area! The developer has put a lot of effort into eliminating the unnecessary camera icons from the display, and getting a small size low battery alert that doesn't block a significant part of the image and comes on with a reasonable advance warning to get an aircraft on the ground. There's only so much configuration that can be reasonably done with firmware given the hardware in the camera, and I think we are at that point. While it would be nice to have all the bells and whistle that satisfy everyone's personal preferences, I don't think its possible. The firmware is already quite bloated.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The 3.5V might be a typo... I remembered it as being measured at 3.7V, which as I recall was measured at the battery wire terminals (Isoprop's link to his extensive camera power post actually mentions 3.7V in the Internal Battery paragraph). During my brief FW testing with a healthy internal battery, the FW was tweaked to get the alert to come on about 1 minute before the camera actually shut down, which I think is reasonable. This will vary somewhat with different batteries, of course, depending on their voltage decay rate.

I just confirmed that 3.5V cutoff is dead on. About 10 seconds before the camera turned off I captured some brief voltage "spikes" down to 3.48V during 10 frames. Most of the time the meter showed between 3.49V and 3.51V. The last captured frame showed 3.50V!

I'll correct the 3.7V in the power post. It is definitely not correct or maybe was measured with V1, I don't know. Anyway, 3.5V is correct with V2.
Last edited by Isoprop; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM.