HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
What are you asking?
Sorry, I should have been more clear... If I recall correctly, there was a 3 second lag between the end of a file and the beginning of the next one.. That's all...
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,353 Posts
Has anyone had luck setting these up as a web cam. I had it working once but cannot do it again. My use is for focusing the camera and playing with the configuration.

Any suggestions to make this work would be appreciated.

I have tried enabling AV out...
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Non-distorted 4:3 video out (but without simultaneous recording)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
Nope if you have photo frame size set to 1280x960, video frame size set to 1280x720 and your video output set to 16:9, when you connect the av output and are not recording, you can press the power button quickly, it will change from the 16:9 with the black bars, to a cropped 4:3 of that 16:9 image, but the quality will be better (if you are trying to read text on something)...
For some reason, before, I could record the full 16:9 frame, but have the cropped 4:3 going through live output, but I'm guessing that happened after I messed with it trying to get it to work as a webcam and then changing advanced image settings. But then I reset everything and cant get that to happen again. I want that cropped 4:3 while it records the whole 16:9 full resolution...
OK, now I have something to work with. I've tried the combinations of video and photo frame size settings
you mention with video out turned on and, in fact, CAN ALSO now toggle the video out to a non-distorted 4:3 image filling the whole composite video out frame by briefly pressing the power button (works in both PAL or NTSC modes)! But like you, I cannot simultaneously record. The camera has some webcam aspect ratio changes that can be toggled with the web cam software, but I don't think that alters the camera's internal functions, but rather after the fact before displaying in the web cam viewer. But I reserve the right to be wrong again. If you can figure it out, post back here with the magic bullets so other can use it. The beauty of the camera for FPV was mainly the ability to record what is being transmitted, but maybe these setting to change the video out to full 4:3 without the vertical distortion will be of some use as well. So thanks for finding this!

FWIW, I think the non-distorted 4:3 image is still degraded due to being cropped and upsized as I just mentioned in a prior post, but since the video out is still a crappy composite video analog image, it's not really noticeable on my old analog TV. Maybe it is on a modern digital TV
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear... If I recall correctly, there was a 3 second lag between the end of a file and the beginning of the next one.. That's all...
Oh... OK. Yeah, a second or two or three. I don't think anything has change that much. It most likely varies slightly based on the data rate (and size of the data) being written to the card between the end of one recording and the start of the next one.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
So you're just noticing normal behavior.
From the help in Nr16Setup:
Because of lack of memory space, different firmware versions exist for AVI and MOV formats. The AVI format produces non-standard .avi files with a 1 second overlapping video sequence between clips. The MOV format produces videos which have a 2-3 second gap between clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Has anyone had luck setting these up as a web cam. I had it working once but cannot do it again. My use is for focusing the camera and playing with the configuration.
From the help in Nr16Setup, works fine for me:

Webcam Mode
Remove the flash memory card.
Connect the camera to the PC using a standard USB cable.
Press the Power Button for max. 2 seconds until the Red LED turns on. The yellow LED will turn on while initializing the connection to the PC. It will turn off when connected and the red LED will turn back on indicating a successful connection.
► If this is the first time you have connected the camera in WebCam mode, Windows will automatically install the required drivers.
The camera is now in Webcam mode.
Start your favorite WebCam software, such as AMCap. If your screen is black, the software is not configured correctly. Make sure the program shows the “USB PC camera” as the “device” selected for video capture. If this option does not show in the “device” option list, restart the webcam program and check again.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post

Any suggestions to make this work would be appreciated.

I have tried enabling AV out...
Did you read the instructions for the camera before asking? Just pull the memory card and plug it in (and of course, turn it on!)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 29, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,970 Posts
has anyone modified (removed the thick outer layer) on the cable coming out of the camera, or have any idea's to do away with that big hard to bend wire?
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
OK, now I have something to work with. I've tried the combinations of video and photo frame size settings
you mention with video out turned on and, in fact, CAN ALSO now toggle the video out to a non-distorted 4:3 image filling the whole composite video out frame by briefly pressing the power button (works in both PAL or NTSC modes)! But like you, I cannot simultaneously record. The camera has some webcam aspect ratio changes that can be toggled with the web cam software, but I don't think that alters the camera's internal functions, but rather after the fact before displaying in the web cam viewer. But I reserve the right to be wrong again. If you can figure it out, post back here with the magic bullets so other can use it. The beauty of the camera for FPV was mainly the ability to record what is being transmitted, but maybe these setting to change the video out to full 4:3 without the vertical distortion will be of some use as well. So thanks for finding this!

FWIW, I think the non-distorted 4:3 image is still degraded due to being cropped and upsized as I just mentioned in a prior post, but since the video out is still a crappy composite video analog image, it's not really noticeable on my old analog TV. Maybe it is on a modern digital TV
Now keep the live output in PAL mode with 16:9. When you switch to to the full screen mode (quickly pressing the power button when watching live output) the quality is BETTER (you can tell if you try to read text on something). The signal output is actually 576p most likely almost full PAL quality.

I think it was a glitch that allowed that mode to start and allow full 1280x720 recording at the same time. It would change if I only adjusted the Exposure from normal to light or dark, and it would work again if I went back to Normal. But now that doesn't even work anymore. Something happened when I was trying to make it work as a webcam and then adjusted the Exposure. I didn't even know about switching modes from video to picture until I didn't have the 4:3 cropped live output with recording at 1280x720 anymore and I was desperate to get it back (why I came here to ask how to get it back)... I know it worked, if someone can get some real settings to do it again, even if I have to enter them manually, that would be GREAT!

ALSO:
The quality in NTSC mode going from 1280x720 video mode to 4:3 cropped (picture mode) is pretty much the same, just cropped, the difference is when you are in PAL mode... But some monitors/tvs will not play well with PAL here in the usa...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Last edited by KillerCut; Dec 29, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Purchased the #16 V2 a few months ago and have only used a few times. I had the #11 prior. It seems like the #16 V2 doesn't have the same focus as the #11 did. I use the cam on my planes and i've noticed everything in the distance is blurry/out of focus. This was not the case with the #11. here is a sample video. Is this how the #16 V2 is supposed to look like? Watch in 720p. Camera has the 120 lens.

808 Keychain #16 V2 (0 min 37 sec)
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
the lens is set for close range focus. You can adjust it, you need to open it up, try carefully to get rid of some of the glue on the lens and adjust it until objects further away are more focused. Mine is also focused for close range, I'm going to adjust the lens soon...

whoa, I just did it. its not easy, I had to take the board out of the camera, be careful there is a piece of double sided tape on the ribbon cable going to the camera sensor. I had to take it all out and really get a good grip and force the lens to turn. Now it turns pretty easy.
Last edited by KillerCut; Dec 29, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
403 Posts
Thanks for the tip KillerCut! I will have to do this as well.

If I remove the lens completely, will the video look like a Lens A version?
FTA_FTW is offline Find More Posts by FTA_FTW
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
no it will be all white (super overexposed non focused image), and you better make sure that if you do take the lens out completely (no point in doing that) that you better not let any dirt/dust get inside...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Disassembled D Lens...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
the lens is set for close range focus. You can adjust it, you need to open it up, try carefully to get rid of some of the glue on the lens and adjust it until objects further away are more focused. Mine is also focused for close range, I'm going to adjust the lens soon...

whoa, I just did it. its not easy, I had to take the board out of the camera, be careful there is a piece of double sided tape on the ribbon cable going to the camera sensor. I had to take it all out and really get a good grip and force the lens to turn. Now it turns pretty easy.
I used some CA de-bonding agent to remove / loosen the glue. Then the lens is easy to remove.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
has anyone modified (removed the thick outer layer) on the cable coming out of the camera, or have any idea's to do away with that big hard to bend wire?
Unplug it and put it in a drawer until you need it! Seriously, what is the problem you are having with the cable and needing to bend it. Are you talking about the round USB cable used to connect to a PC? The one that comes with the camera is about as small and flexible as they come.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 29, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: removed extra words