HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Tom, don't know how loud your sound source was, but the high setting is what I like. The high peaks are not chopped.

Last night I watched "Good Morning Vietnam" and the dB meter was constantly flicking into red. That's typical.

Anyone wanting lower sound levels can easily adjust with editing, boosting sound is trickier and can lead to chopping/distortion.
I was using my desktop speakers with the sound turned up to be loud, but not so loud it woke up the neighbors! I agree recording with clipped sound is not good, but neither is a screaming motor cranking at over 20k rpm at WOT with the camera sound level set to medium or high! My AV flight motor sounds are ALL too loud most of the time, and I do attenuate or totally mute them when editing. It all depends on what the camera is being used for. If some want louder, fine, but I also would like the low setting to be lower than it is, with the middle setting maybe near where the low setting is now.

The problem is also that many people post video here and do not bother to edit, let alone mute, the loud (and often not meaningful) sound track... extremely annoying to keep blowing the cones out of my speakers from this! Sure I can turn it down , but only after the initial blast forces me to do so. Wouldn't it be nice if the user could set a good sound level level suitable for the camera as it records for the benefit of those who might be viewing it?

But, as life has, it, many would not bother doing that either.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
well i just bought another d lens and now I'm beginning to wonder. Should I of got a b??? I like the large fov but not the distortion!! Or is there a better lens out there that I can swap out??
You have to decide what you like best. There are plenty of comparison pictures and videos posted in this thread if you take the time to do a search for them.There are no better lenses that anyone has shown here that fit and/or don't cost more than the the entire camera does. Also, it's been said over and over the developer is working directly with lens manufacturers to find better lenses that can be used without needing to increase the price point of the camera.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Ok, something weird is going on. I learned that with live output, when you quickly press the power button (while watching live output), it will change from very widescreen (with black on top and bottom) to 4:3. This is with the camera set to output 16:9. The 4:3 view is great for FPV, Its more like a 90degree field of view, and that is actually perfect for me. The problem is, I cant record in this mode anymore. For some reason, the camera used to go straight into the 4:3 mode sometimes and I could record, but now it goes to 16:9 (with black lines on top and bottom) and if I switch to the 4:3 mode by pressing the power button quickly it would not record and only take pictures.

How do I record while in the 4:3 view? Or how do I get it to start with live output in that mode?
Its not the same mode like if you set the live output for 4:3, that mode is squished. this is a normal view, its like zoomed in but with better quality...
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:51 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
Ok, something weird is going on. I learned that with live output, when you quickly press the power button (while watching live output), it will change from very widescreen (with black on top and bottom) to 4:3.
A brief press of the power button switches the camera to photo mode. Photo mode takes 4:3 photos, and that's why you have a 4:3 output. That's also why you can't record video obviously.

But yes, as I posted earlier today a 4:3, fullscreen output would be best for FPV. Either a crop of the sides of the 16:9 image, or rather ideally the full 4:3 image from the sensor before the crop to 16:9 happens, that might be more difficult to do from a hardware capability point of view though.
4:3 video out AND 1280x960 recording would be even better of course
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
well i just bought another d lens and now I'm beginning to wonder. Should I of got a b??? I like the large fov but not the distortion!! Or is there a better lens out there that I can swap out??
you mean you hate the bends?

guess it is how you use your camera?

obtwiccl
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
A brief press of the power button switches the camera to photo mode. Photo mode takes 4:3 photos, and that's why you have a 4:3 output. That's also why you can't record video obviously.

But yes, as I posted earlier today a 4:3, fullscreen output would be best for FPV. Either a crop of the sides of the 16:9 image, or rather ideally the full 4:3 image from the sensor before the crop to 16:9 happens, that might be more difficult to do from a hardware capability point of view though.
4:3 video out AND 1280x960 recording would be even better of course
Yea, the cropped 4:3 for live output from the original 16:9 video, WHILE recording the 16:9 video would be GREAT!!!
I doubt the AV cable can handle the whole 1280x960

is there any way to change the video frame to the highest pal resolution? 768x576

it will record at 640x480 and show the 4:3 screen at the same time. Thats better than no recording at all, but I would rather have the full PAL resolution in that case...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Ok, something weird is going on. I learned that with live output, when you quickly press the power button (while watching live output), it will change from very widescreen (with black on top and bottom) to 4:3. This is with the camera set to output 16:9. The 4:3 view is great for FPV, Its more like a 90degree field of view, and that is actually perfect for me. The problem is, I cant record in this mode anymore. For some reason, the camera used to go straight into the 4:3 mode sometimes and I could record, but now it goes to 16:9 (with black lines on top and bottom) and if I switch to the 4:3 mode by pressing the power button quickly it would not record and only take pictures.

How do I record while in the 4:3 view? Or how do I get it to start with live output in that mode?
Its not the same mode like if you set the live output for 4:3, that mode is squished. this is a normal view, its like zoomed in but with better quality...
You've got to give more info than that for any help. I cannot repeat your findings. What firmware version are you using? what are your camera setting (post your config file). Are you using the GUI to change camera settings? Based on some of your comments, it sound like you've not read any camera instructions or used the GUI program yet. If you don't know about any of that, start with post #1 here and follow it's guidance on the camera use pages that follow.

With the latest firmware and proper settings, the camera will start in 4:3 video out mode and can be toggled to take normal video or photo images at the same time.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
mov v0.67. I didn't touch the video frame settings. I was getting 4:3 cropped live output while recording the full 16:9. it happened after I started changing the Advanced Image Settings, but now I cant get it to come back. I had live output at PAL with 16:9 I dont remember the other settings... I want that back again. it was great, would have been perfect for my needs..

I dont want the squished 4:3, I want the cropped version for live out and record at 16:9 full resolution again...?

Ohh, I was also trying to get the webcam function to work on the computer before that happened, but I didn't get it to work (webcam), probably a software issue...
Last edited by KillerCut; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
you mean you hate the bends?

guess it is how you use your camera?

obtwiccl
From all of those who come here for meaningful discussion, I'll ask you once again to stop the crap posts here. Use your own threads you started for your blogging and this kind of stuff.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
mov v0.67. I didn't touch the video frame settings. I was getting 4:3 cropped live output while recording the full 16:9. it happened after I started changing the Advanced Image Settings, but now I cant get it to come back. I had live output at PAL with 16:9 I dont remember the other settings... I want that back again. it was great, would have been perfect for my needs..

I dont want the squished 4:3, I want the cropped version for live out and record at 16:9 full resolution again...?
That is easily changed with the GUI. Just click you desired video out mode, turn it on and your done.

The advanced image settings are for picture color modification and (SHOULD) have no impact on the video out function. If you can post your advanced settings I'll try to duplicate your findings. With all the advance settings set to normal/auto, I cannot duplicate your fiindings with the .067 MOV FW.

There is no "cropped" or "squished" live video out, per se. It's either a letterboxed native 16:9 video the full width of the larger 4:3 aspect frame (with black bars top and bottom), or the same larger 4:3 output frame size with the 16:9 image stretched vertically to fill the black bar space.

And I can record normally or take snapshots normally while outputting in either of these two video out modes. Pressing the power button does nothing to change the video out function during recording or not.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:33 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There is no "cropped" or "squished" live video out, per se. It's either a letterboxed native 16:9 video the full width of the larger 4:3 aspect frame (with black bars top and bottom), or the same larger 4:3 output frame size with the 16:9 image stretched vertically to fill the black bar space.
Yup, understood that. The point we are trying to make is suggesting implementation of a 3rd video out mode, with a 4:3 image in a 4:3 frame, as that's what would be ideal for FPV (best use of 4:3 goggles without wasting screen area to the black bars).
The "source" 4:3 image being either ideally the whole sensor area (same as in photo mode, 1280x960 equivalent, before the image is cropped to 16:9 for recording), or a crop of the sides of the 16:9 recorded image (960x720).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
From all of those who come here for meaningful discussion, I'll ask you once again to stop the crap posts here. Use your own threads you started for your blogging and this kind of stuff.
I will take a lunch break. and the next time a person asks a question that is meaningless in here. I will clearly point .........

and we all know you'll threaten to close the thread.

Back to what I posted before, is to fast a thread to find, so I shall be searching.

no pun intended,

Just to keep the topic as I mostly did. keychain cam sound when too much an high is reached it may lower, and to much a low sound is lost.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:20 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Quote:
That is easily changed with the GUI. Just click you desired video out mode, turn it on and your done.

The advanced image settings are for picture color modification and (SHOULD) have no impact on the video out function. If you can post your advanced settings I'll try to duplicate your findings. With all the advance settings set to normal/auto, I cannot duplicate your fiindings with the .067 MOV FW.

And I can record normally or take snapshots normally while outputting in either of these two video out modes. Pressing the power button does nothing to change the video out function during recording or not.

Nope if you have photo frame size set to 1280x960, video frame size set to 1280x720 and your video output set to 16:9, when you connect the av output and are not recording, you can press the power button quickly, it will change from the 16:9 with the black bars, to a cropped 4:3 of that 16:9 image, but the quality will be better (if you are trying to read text on something)...
For some reason, before, I could record the full 16:9 frame, but have the cropped 4:3 going through live output, but I'm guessing that happened after I messed with it trying to get it to work as a webcam and then changing advanced image settings. But then I reset everything and cant get that to happen again. I want that cropped 4:3 while it records the whole 16:9 full resolution...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Yup, understood that. The point we are trying to make is suggesting implementation of a 3rd video out mode, with a 4:3 image in a 4:3 frame, as that's what would be ideal for FPV (best use of 4:3 goggles without wasting screen area to the black bars).
The "source" 4:3 image being either ideally the whole sensor area (same as in photo mode, 1280x960 equivalent, before the image is cropped to 16:9 for recording), or a crop of the sides of the 16:9 recorded image (960x720).
The suggestion was also understood. It has been asked for many times, and what you now have available is all the developer could come up with to eliminate the letterboxed video. The video out function is part of the DSP chip internals, and there is only so much that can be manipulated with camera firmware programming.

FWIW, the 1280x960 photos the camera shoots are not native. The CMOS imager only has a 1280x800 pixel array. So to get a 4:3 aspect ratio picture, the native image must first be cropped on the sides to get to a 4:3 aspect ratio, then digitally zoomed (or interpolated) to get a full size 1280x960 picture. Either way you lose resolution as well as AOV. The composite video out already has enough image degradation without adding to it, and many who fly FPV have posted here they don't think a lesser AOV than the camera's 120 deg. D lens lens can provide is enough for their purposes. So cropping the 16:9 image to fill a 4:3 screen is not a solution for them. I don't fly FPV, so have no opinion on that one way or the other, but the existing solution of stretching the 16:9 native image to fill a 4:3 composite video frame seems to be the only alternative possible that meets all users preferences as much as is possible with the hardware.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,779 Posts
OK, thanks for the detailed explanations.

Quote:
and many who fly FPV have posted here they don't think a lesser AOV than the camera's 120 deg. D lens lens can provide is enough for their purposes. So cropping the 16:9 image to fill a 4:3 screen is not a solution for them. I don't fly FPV, so have no opinion on that one way or the other
To me the crop would cause no problem at all for flying, certainly better than the stretch. So if it was possible, I'm pretty sure it would be a valuable addition. Up to the user to choose what he prefers.