HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmimages View Post
Yes I have but I'll try again. The new FW doesn't make a difference to video quality. I just checked.
If most of your video is shot from an RC car running around on dirt, you likely pick up dust on the lens, and depending on how you cleaned the lens, it's possible to have lightly scratched the lens surface enough to scatter light as it enters the lens. That will create the image condition I see in your video. If you can't improve it by first using a lens cleaning brush (with air bulb), then lens cleaning solution/tissue, you'll need to replace the lens. A whole new lens and CMOS module costs U.S. $9-10 (delivered) to the U.S.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
Registered User
fmimages's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If most of your video is shot from an RC car running around on dirt, you likely pick up dust on the lens, and depending on how you cleaned the lens, it's possible to have lightly scratched the lens surface enough to scatter light as it enters the lens. That will create the image condition I see in your video. If you can't improve it by first using a lens cleaning brush (with air bulb), then lens cleaning solution/tissue, you'll need to replace the lens. A whole new lens and CMOS module costs U.S. $9-10 (delivered) to the U.S.
Well that might be the solution since I cleaned it several time with a good lens cleaner and then blew some canned air on it. I still get the washed out look. I just put in an order for the "B" lens to try that out. It's too late to change the order now. The ebay seller eletoponline will have to take a seperate order, then.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Last edited by fmimages; Dec 28, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: update info
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:02 PM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qacermacer View Post
Hey guys, not gunna read through the whole thread but does anyone know a UK vendor that sells #16 key cams or something similar, I really don't,t want to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive
Ist you don't have to read the whole thread, read posting #1, as requested in the Tread Title, this will lead you to postings #2. #3. & #4 this will give you a good understanding of your new camera, and what it can and cannot do.
The postings are kept up to date.

As yet there is NO approved UK supplier, but there are some fakes around.
The one USA approved shipper only ships inside USA, I think, but :-
The service from the 2 Hong Kong suppliers is very very good, and usually takes from 1 to 2 weeks (Xmas rush now over).

If that is too long, sorry but I suggest you use the HK lads, and put up with the delay if you want the real thing.

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Re-reading, mywording was not clear about USA seller :(
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Answer to over exposure,= Filter.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarber View Post
So I tried to install v0.67 on my new 808 #16 A with the GUI (and bootloader v3). After I hit the install button on the GUI I was told that the .zip file was corrupted and that I should download it again. I tried this once more and it did not work.

Now I cannot turn on the camera at all. If I try to power up without a SD card, the yellow light blinks 5 times and then stops. It will not blink at all with the SD card installed.

I've tried putting v0.49 on the card, but as I said with the SD card installed the light will not blink at all.

Update: I pulled the battery plug and left it for a couple of minutes before re-attaching. No change in symptoms.
The ZIP file is not corrupted on my download page... I just downloaded it and checked it. And that's where the Nr16Setup GUI pulls the file from. Is that the GUI you used? If so, I don't know what could have gone wrong, but if you got a corrupted ZIP file alert, the new FW should not even have attempted to be installed.

If you have an external card reader that can communicate with your memory card from the PC, format it, then download the ZIP file manually, unzip it, then copy the FWMICDVR.BIN firmware file to the memory card root folder, insert in your camera, and turn on the camera with a brief press of the power button. The FW should then load with some LED flashing. Don't touch the buttons until it's finished (about 10 seconds) and the yellow LED turns on steady. Hopefully that will get your camera in working order.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:34 PM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0807 View Post
alright guys i really need your help. I tried to solve my problem with the search engine, but i couldnt find a solution in this thread.
so my problem is: at first my cam worked fine. After a while my clips were rather short, but this may be caused by low battery (i dunno). So I was away for almost 6 weeks and the cam was in my drawer. After getting back home i charged the cam and wanted to start it. And then the weird things started to happen. I had various issues. For example the cam wouldnt even turn on. Sometimes it would turn on and then the led would stay a solid red, and not change to yellow. So I tried to update the FW withthe GUI. And so I did. The update was successful and i could get it back on and make videos. Right now the cam does not even turn on. I didn't change anything since the last FW Update. The battery should be fully charged. Had it charged for 3 hours and the green light went off. So no yellow or red light and the pc doesn't recognize the cam either. I didnt find anything on the interwebs concerning my problem, so i was hoping you guys could help me out maybe.
Like Tom said, it sounds like your battery.
If you bought it via one of the 2 sellers listed in the first 4 posts of this thread, then they do sell spare batteries for $2 or $3, please look on their web site.
If that does not cure the problem, then they might replace the camera under guarantee, or they might sell a replacement at reduced cost.
If they replace the camera, then they ask you to pay for a replacement, and then you ship the old one back to them. They then refund part or all of your payment.
They do have a very good reputation, and are very helpful.
Try sending an email to them.
If the battery was at fault, then the your attempt to reload the firmware may have not completed before the battery went out.
Please keep us posted how it goes.
Regards
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Dec 28, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmimages View Post
Well that might be the solution since I cleaned it several time with a good lens cleaner and then blew some canned air on it. I still get the washed out look. I just put in an order for the "B" lens to try that out. It's too late to change the order now. The ebay seller eletoponline will have to take a seperate order, then.
Next time blow the air on it first to dislodge as much dust as possible before using lens cleaner... less chance of dust scratching the lens.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
...then copy the FWMICDVR.BIN firmware file to the memory card root folder, insert in your camera, and turn on the camera with a brief press of the power button. The FW should then load with some LED flashing. ... Hopefully that will get your camera in working order.
Success! Thank you Tom! It look like the FWMICDVR.BIN file was somehow corrupted on my SD card (0 bytes), and after a full charge (had to eliminate another obvious pitfall) it loaded up v0.49 using your instructions. After that I was able to successfully install v0.67 with the Nr16Setup GUI.

Whew! Thanks again,
Brian
bgarber is offline Find More Posts by bgarber
Last edited by bgarber; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
It's a long time since I did basic electrical theory, but would I be right in thinking that leaving out the size issue, which will not be important, I can simply replace the 808#16 battery with a higher capacity 3.7 volt li poly one, to give longer recording time? any info would be greatly appreciated
paulcheshire is offline Find More Posts by paulcheshire
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:29 AM
Registered User
fmimages's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Next time blow the air on it first to dislodge as much dust as possible before using lens cleaner... less chance of dust scratching the lens.
Thanks for the order of cleaning. I know I should've done it that way but I get in a hurry and oh well I got haze now. I'll remember this for the next one. :
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:34 AM
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcheshire View Post
It's a long time since I did basic electrical theory, but would I be right in thinking that leaving out the size issue, which will not be important, I can simply replace the 808#16 battery with a higher capacity 3.7 volt li poly one, to give longer recording time? any info would be greatly appreciated
You could but it would take a lifetime to charge using usb so a separate charger would be better. Also you wouldn't have the protection circuit that is built in to the stock lipo, it may be possible to fit the circuit off the stock battery to your new battery or find an alternative one. You may also be able to find a larger battery with the circuit built in but they aren't as easy to find. I think they have been mentioned and linked to on this thread a few times, maybe a thread search could help you. What ever you come up with if it involves unplugging the battery every time you need to charge it the internal clock and all settings would need to be reset. You may find it easier if physical size is unimportant to do what many do and just use an external usb power supply pack, again loads of info on these on the thread, use the first few posts for starters.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:28 AM
Registered User
VideoKing's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qacermacer View Post
Hey guys, not gunna read through the whole thread but does anyone know a UK vendor that sells #16 key cams or something similar, I really don't,t want to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive
I've ordered multiple times from eletoponline365 and they have never taken longer than 10 days to arrive. Delivery is usually by "signed for" airmail from HK.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:40 AM
occasionally things work
qacermacer's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Evesham
Joined Aug 2009
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Ist you don't have to read the whole thread, read posting #1, as requested in the Tread Title, this will lead you to postings #2. #3. & #4 this will give you a good understanding of your new camera, and what it can and cannot do.
The postings are kept up to date.

As yet there is NO approved UK supplier, but there are some fakes around.
The one USA approved shipper only ships inside USA, I think, but :-
The service from the 2 Hong Kong suppliers is very very good, and usually takes from 1 to 2 weeks (Xmas rush now over).

If that is too long, sorry but I suggest you use the HK lads, and put up with the delay if you want the real thing.

Mike
OK, I did read post one, and the following posts but no where can I see it saying that there is no UK supplier, correct me if I'm wrong but all I see is one link to a US vendor, maybe a list of ALL the vendors would be better as it would avoid more questions like mine. Anyway, thanks, I guess i'll order one from a n international supplier.
qacermacer is offline Find More Posts by qacermacer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:20 AM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qacermacer View Post
OK, I did read post one, and the following posts but no where can I see it saying that there is no UK supplier, correct me if I'm wrong but all I see is one link to a US vendor, maybe a list of ALL the vendors would be better as it would avoid more questions like mine. Anyway, thanks, I guess i'll order one from a n international supplier.
bottom line of pix, 3 seperate entrys (or links, to click) ...
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Dec 29, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: simplification
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:33 AM
Registered User
VideoKing's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qacermacer View Post
OK, I did read post one, and the following posts but no where can I see it saying that there is no UK supplier, correct me if I'm wrong but all I see is one link to a US vendor, maybe a list of ALL the vendors would be better as it would avoid more questions like mine. Anyway, thanks, I guess i'll order one from a n international supplier.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/eletoponline...&_trksid=p3686

All the cameras are here. its the 808#16 v1 or v2 with whatever lens you want.
If you don't see the combination you want, or spares you want, email the seller and they with give you a price directly.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) Tom Frank Aerial Photography 9936 Feb 11, 2014 09:56 AM
Discussion Looking to buy #11 HD Key Cam within US Abolfazl Aerial Photography 1 Feb 14, 2012 01:59 AM
Poll Poll For Current and Future #11 HD Key Cam Users Tom Frank Aerial Photography 0 Sep 25, 2011 11:55 PM
Discussion New HD Key Cam CHAMP? 1080x720p 3 HOUR RECORD TIME! Jaybee Aerial Photography 4 Jun 02, 2011 11:39 AM