HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but are people gluing the D lens to reinforce it better? I can't find it in the thread and remember people hot gluing the D lens.
Those who find the lens is easily wiggled and are concerned about that allowing the lens direction to be inconsistent or fatiguing and cracking a trace on the ribbon cable over time do so. But I use a water-based (important to prevent possible corrosion) silicone adhesive rather than hot glue because it's easier to remove if the lens needs to be removed.

Those who haven't checked this or don't care about the possible consequences don't do anything. Your choice.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I tested the 70 minute parameter using the default settings and you are correct!

I remember this issue being reported a long time ago, but I thought it had been corrected.
The problem only happens with the AVI firmware and is because the firmware understands the 70 min parameter as 30 min.

In the very early days there was a 30 minute parameter, so most probably the developer forgot to correct the value.

I don't think it's a big deal and expect the developer to correct the issue in the next firmware release, unless it slips thru again
I thought it had been corrected as well since the MOV version doesn't do this. And I don't use the AVI FW due to it's editing problem, so never ran this full 70 minute test. At least it's been found (again) and can be fixed!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but are people gluing the D lens to reinforce it better? I can't find it in the thread and remember people hot gluing the D lens.
The case has a slot that the Lens D slides into that locks into place. modifying it in any way would either improve or damage.

As the case was not meant for the Lens D to start off with, the company took it on themselves to only drill out, and leave out the white adhesive ( not 3m), and should be applied. It is a a softer and correct supply to use over any glued item, If glue it to be used rubber cement, that can be rolled off with fingers does not grab and secure or embed as silicone does.

with many types of adhesives on the market, and the choice is yours how you go about the project?

Nothing is perfect in this world. Just remember do not apply more because the case has flimsy tabs that will break when breathed on. why four screws are needed.

a simple wrap of Velcro of the soft side does the trick over glue. or tape.

read the instruction on glue. why not use modelers glue. procrationists.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,597 Posts
So I should open the case to glue it with rubber cemment?
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,751 Posts
Quote:
So I should open the case to glue it with rubber cemment?
Does your lens wiggle? Both of mine do, so the case does NOT lock the lens module in place, it only approximately positions it. But maybe yours has some other means of securement from the factory. Some of my other #16 cameras with different lenses used a thin, spongy double-backed foam tape to help hold the module in a fixed position when the camera case is closed down on it and screwed in place.

I find water-based silicone adhesive much better than hot melt because it holds securely, yet is easy to peel free with a tooth pick if you need to. Rubber cement? Your choice, but if it is solvent-based, I wouldn't.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,597 Posts
Yes, mine wiggles. Is that a problem? I thought a dab of silicone of hot glue might make it less prone to wiggle and fatigue.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I'd have thought the easiest way to remove the time stamp is to buy a #16. This new firmware seems to be fantastic so far, I find it hard to believe what we can do with these little cheap cams. Having said that apart from playing with the features when it comes to day to day use and flying footage I tend to stick to stock settings.
Yeah, and don't waste the battery life span by testing how long the battery will last. That shortens the battery life span!
Go out and fly and take videos.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I'd have thought the easiest way to remove the time stamp is to buy a #16. This new firmware seems to be fantastic so far, I find it hard to believe what we can do with these little cheap cams. Having said that apart from playing with the features when it comes to day to day use and flying footage I tend to stick to stock settings.
Could not agree more.
It is like the folks hiking on the mountain, they pull out a compact cam, while that guy, is sitting there hours on end for a shot these two grab in a heart beat and move on.

stock and go.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
thank you very much for the quick replies. Sadly i tried everything you suggested but it didn't help. Here's a short list of what happens and what i've done so far.

current situation: doesnt turn on. no Led lights, except for the green one when charging. cant get it into the mass storage mode, because it wont turn on.

what i did: Reset Button, starting without card, a variety of button combinations, connecting while pressing power button, open camera and unplug battery, plug it back in after an hour and recharge it.

a few days ago it kinda worked, but the general situation was getting worse.the camera started sporadicly and filmed sometimes. Sometimes just a solid red light was there after the start. But it wasnt in photo mode because i couldnt change it back to yellow. also did a fw update. so all in all my camera went from filming perfect to filming a bit and not always and finally to "i dont like to live anymore".

As Tom Frank said, it might be the battery, but i can still load the battery for two hours and then the green light turns off normally, just as it would be fully charged. if want to charge it after an hour again the green light stays on for just a few mins, so it cant be discharged.
And still i didnt really use the cam and had it just for a few months, so why would it be dead by now.

So my question is: Is there any possibilty to get my cam back to life or is it maybe just dead.

thank you very much in advance for your help.
jack0807 is offline Find More Posts by jack0807
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
I had very similar problems a long time ago with a #7. It turned out to be the protective circuit in the battery allowed charging, but would not power the cam.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
did you find any solution concerning this problem ?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Did you drop it, Or get banged around, takes one gentle bang, you said the ribbon cable, but wonder if the housing is loose? I contact seller, troubleshoot. He may send you a new battery at first, then return for a new camera at your expense for shipping when he revieves yours back for evaluation
Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Excuse me,

I have a doubt about the fact that my camera is indeed a number 16v2, because i can see many pixels I find.

Can you please confirm me? I bought it from a certificated seller (see page1).
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Last edited by alex_007; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Your camera looks original.
Check your lens connector. I hope the ribbon cable to not be damaged. If you have another lens, test it.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
not that i know of. the housing isn't loose. the board had a tight fit. no visible cracks. is the warranty lost if i opened the case ? if yes im just have to buy a new one i guess ...