HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:46 AM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The problem is explained in the FAQs (post#3) with solutions. The camera uses a non-standard AVI format, and all the info needed to play the file is packed into the file header. If you clip off or bypass that first frame when editing, you will not get any video. Do you need AVI format because you can't afford to lose a couple of seconds of video between clips (that's the only reason to use that format). If not, switch to MOV format. You should be able to edit those with Vista WMM with the codecs you have installed.
Thanks Tom...I am trying to edit some clips(crashes) taken when I first got the #16. Was still learning what worked best for my purposes. I found a work around by converting the files to MP4. Lost some quality but still watchable.

Thanks

Rob
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Mp4 is just that a more compressed container, your blues will blotch on youtube, with certain cams, why not use, the older container .mov. As som say all you have to do is rename your .avi to .mov, but you have to check off the hidden folder in the window.

why 3rd party work around. no secret in editing these files.

What you have at your fingertips is on youtube, make your video private, and edit online. even an old website like eyespot was around... enjoy
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
...Is there any docs about the communication protocol?
Using USBlyzer it took me just a couple of hours to figure it out. Programming it was quite another story ! ! !
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:42 AM
2 NECKS ARE BETTER THAN 1
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2012
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
In v3+v4, the X (top-right) to normally close program is disabled for technical reasons*. You must use the Power button at the right of the J16 Logo.

Additionnally, when you do a Firmware update, the Power button is greyed-out until you complete the cycle.

* Pressing the Power button allows for a clean shutdown with proper housekeeping i.e. leaving USB in correct state
Got it.

Lard4Hire
Lard4Hire is offline Find More Posts by Lard4Hire
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
Using USBlyzer it took me just a couple of hours to figure it out. Programming it was quite another story ! ! !
Does it provide any I2C interface?

I'm currently finishing another software as I'll look into this after that.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; Dec 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
Thanks Tom...I am trying to edit some clips(crashes) taken when I first got the #16. Was still learning what worked best for my purposes. I found a work around by converting the files to MP4. Lost some quality but still watchable.

Thanks

Rob
Some editing programs CAN edit the native #16 AVI files, but most are commercial ones. I recently D/L the latest WMM 2012 that was released with W8, and find it CAN ALSO now edit the native #16 AVI files! Prior versions of WMM up through W7 could not do this without the workaround. Renaming the file extension as was mentioned in a prior post does nothing to change the file structure or correct the non-standard AVI issue. This latest WMM also will now output with an H.264 codec in an MP4 container if you wish in addition to the prior .WMV format. And it now has a stabilization function built in, but that ONLY works when running it under W8. And it works under W7, and also Vista, I think, if your PC has DirectX 9 or 10 installed (latter not confirmed).

That might be a partial solution for you. I say partial, because the version of WMM that came with Vista was better than the W7/W8 dumbed down versions (no timeline nor user hackable editing functions like Vista WMM had).
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:24 AM
Mr.
South Africa, EC, Humansdorp
Joined Dec 2011
64 Posts
I have a related issue while converting #16 .MOV to .AVI for vDub. If the original video file is greater then 40min, the camera writes a new file on the memory card. A 90-min video will be saved as 3 x .MOV files. Namely 2x40-min and 1x10-min. This is just fine but if I try to convert the files to .AVI, (using the recommended and free program MP4toAVI) only the final 10-minute clip will convert successfully If the original filming is kept below 40min then there is no issue whatsoever with the conversion. I use the latest FW and 10mBit setting (it has a slight advantage in resolving fine detail). I bypass the issue by using a different program to convert but that brings its own issues. (In order to retain as much detail as possible I convert using the "uncompressed" codec configuration. OK, luckly I have the horsepower and HD space to throw at it but I will prefer a fix to start with.
Gomario is offline Find More Posts by Gomario
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
have you at least tried to use the lower settings like 20 minutes?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:25 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
I bought the 120 module for my cam.
Now I have the old module in my stock. Do you know if it is possible to mod it for using it as fpv cam ?
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
I have a related issue while converting #16 .MOV to .AVI for vDub. If the original video file is greater then 40min, the camera writes a new file on the memory card. A 90-min video will be saved as 3 x .MOV files. Namely 2x40-min and 1x10-min. This is just fine but if I try to convert the files to .AVI, (using the recommended and free program MP4toAVI) only the final 10-minute clip will convert successfully If the original filming is kept below 40min then there is no issue whatsoever with the conversion. I use the latest FW and 10mBit setting (it has a slight advantage in resolving fine detail). I bypass the issue by using a different program to convert but that brings its own issues. (In order to retain as much detail as possible I convert using the "uncompressed" codec configuration. OK, luckly I have the horsepower and HD space to throw at it but I will prefer a fix to start with.
I had a similar probleme where mov files above 1GB would crash mp4cam2avi. Try to check if your 20 minutes files are not the case. i dont remember whell, but i think i used virtualdub to split the files in smaler clips and reencoded them then.
Vincevil is offline Find More Posts by Vincevil
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:54 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,924 Posts
I received my N016 as a present yesterday. First job - read the instructions !

Formatted a card in the camera and used the excellent programme by Isoprop to get the LED to flash while recording.

That was enough excitement for one go !

I have done a couple of test videos and I am very impressed with the results - a big improvement on the No 11 I have used for some time now and that's on a very murky, grey day here in the U.K.

I use Debian Linux but the card in the camera can be formatted, to remove videos,

Using WINE ( a Linux programme that will run a lot of Windows stuff as though it was on a Windows computer) the setup programme written by Isoprop runs under Linux. Good to know for anyone using Linux and considering buying a No 16 camera.

VLC and Avidemux are both available for Linux and they do very nicely to play videos and edit them.

Another happy customer.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
327 Posts
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a 808#16 plastic case for "D" lens as spare part.
Where can I buy it?
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
Hello everybody,
Where can I buy it?
Who was your seller? Elcopline365 (sp)

you need to Pm them
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
Boot MP4cam2AVI and look in the lower right section of the program window at the selection box named "AVI size limit". What is displayed there? If it's not the highest possible setting, change it to be so. The highest value available should be "4096 Mb" if you have the current version of this program (v2.99).

What is the size (in MB) of the largest file you are trying to convert? As you likely know, the native file size can increase in size by as much as 40% (nominal) when going from 7 MBps data rate to 10 MBps with some high detail, high motion video. This makes the issue of AVI file size more prevalent with MP4cam2AVI processing.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
Hello everybody,
Where can I buy it?
Maybe you missed the various posts, but any spare parts you require can be obtained by emailing one of the sellers in China. The US seller may also have common parts like the "D" lens case. Again, a short email is all that is needed. I'm not sure if he will send to Italy though.

You can find all the official sellers in post #2.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop