Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajithkumarc View Post
Tom frank,

It will be of great help if u can inform the manufacturer of these cameras to include an external power adapter (a/c from wall socket) connection option in their next version. It will be of great use to while using at home as a surveillance equipment at home with motion detection turned on.
...Or just to have it function as a camera while powered by USB so you can use any phone charger?
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:18 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,881 Posts
Quote:
Tom frank,

It will be of great help if u can inform the manufacturer of these cameras to include an external power adapter (a/c from wall socket) connection option in their next version. It will be of great use to while using at home as a surveillance equipment at home with motion detection turned on.
When you post here, the manufacturer will be aware of it, so no need for me to do it again. But quite honestly, if you don't already have a USB "wall wart" power supply that came with a cell phone or other electronic device, just go buy a simple USB wall plug power adaptor from a local variety stored that sells electronics.

There are several different A/C voltage and plug designs used around the world, so that overly complicates the situation for the camera manufacturer.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: reworded slightly
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
700 Posts
But can the camera be used when plugged in to a USB charger, I can't get mine to actually take video or stills?
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
...Or just to have it function as a camera while powered by USB so you can use any phone charger?
I have a charger which can intake a/c power from wall output. When i connect the same to camera, both red led and orange led glows together. When i press the power button once (press for 1 second) both lights turn off.

Can u give more idea of what is actually happening?

The adapter name is MP3 MP4 power supply which came along with my #11 jumbo 808 camera.

Input: AC110-220V 50/60Hz
AC10mA
Output: DC 5.00 0.20V
DC300mA 30mA
Ajithkumarc is offline Find More Posts by Ajithkumarc
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
But can the camera be used when plugged in to a USB charger, I can't get mine to actually take video or stills?
The same problem for me.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Tom frank,

I agree with Tom, any 'wall wart' AC to USB 5 volts at 1 Amp supply will supply the camera.

For Your.Iinformation, eletoponline365, along with the #16, do a 12v DC to USB 5V 1 A adapter
Here
and also a US (240-110v AC to 12v DC power supply Here
They also do one with and EU plug.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
I have a charger which can intake a/c power from wall output. When i connect the same to camera, both red led and orange led glows together. When i press the power button once (press for 1 second) both lights turn off.

Can u give more idea of what is actually happening?

The adapter name is MP3 MP4 power supply which came along with my #11 jumbo 808 camera.

Input: AC110-220V 50/60Hz
AC10mA
Output: DC 5.00 0.20V
DC300mA 30mA
This is the specifications of the charger i have used.

http://pzy.be/v/2/charger.jpg

and below is the video link

My Movie 3 (0 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
This is the specifications of the charger i have used.

http://pzy.be/v/2/charger.jpg

and below is the video link
I'm not surprised
You should NEVER EVER use a charger sold for the #11. The #11 uses a non-standard cable for recording with external power. You are most likely inputting 5V onto the #16 video-out signal

Any standard USB power supply that can supply 300mA will work, as long as it wasn't designed for the #11 (non-standard).

The charger on your picture appears to be standard, but I'm sure the cable isn't....

The good news is that your camera appears to still be working and hasn't gone up in a whiff of smoke!
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
I was able to mount my #16 Keychain camera onto my Pan/Tilt system.
Is that Velcro you used to fix it on with? I though of trying that but wondered if the wind would just pull it straight off.
Sam234 is offline Find More Posts by Sam234
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
The same problem for me.
Don't know if its the same for the #16 (not got one) but with the #15 and the #20 if you turn on before connecting the usb and there is no data on the port (i.e. not a computer) you can use it as normal.
Sam234 is offline Find More Posts by Sam234
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I'm not surprised
You should NEVER EVER use a charger sold for the #11. The #11 uses a non-standard cable for recording with external power. You are most likely inputting 5V onto the #16 video-out signal

Any standard USB power supply that can supply 300mA will work, as long as it wasn't designed for the #11 (non-standard).

The charger on your picture appears to be standard, but I'm sure the cable isn't....

The good news is that your camera appears to still be working and hasn't gone up in a whiff of smoke!
Good answer. The cable is a thinner one. You can see it on techmoan review - Go to 04:40 time of the video clip. Lucky that i didnt damaged the #16 camera by using the wrong charger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cBnbuzCINV0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Good answer. The cable is a thinner one. You can see it on techmoan review - Go to 04:40 time of the video clip. Lucky that i didnt damaged the #16 camera by using the wrong charger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cBnbuzCINV0
Exactly as I suspected! VERY DANGEROUS!

Use the data (thicker) cable plugged into the charger and your #16 will work! The #16 doesn't distinguish between data and charging cables, they are the same. A standard charger will not use the data lines.

If you no longer have a #11, throw away that awful thin cable. If you still have your #11, mark the thin cable as such.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Exactly as I suspected! VERY DANGEROUS!

Use the data (thicker) cable plugged into the charger and your #16 will work! The #16 doesn't distinguish between data and charging cables, they are the same. A standard charger will not use the data lines.

If you no longer have a #11, throw away that awful thin cable. If you still have your #11, mark the thin cable as such.
I have changed the thin cable with the thicker one (the one which i use to charge the #16 through my laptop USB) but while connecting to wall socket nothing happens to the camera. Neither green light, red light or orange light.

Do i have to use a different wall socket plug
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
I have changed the thin cable with the thicker one (the one which i use to charge the #16 through my laptop USB) but while connecting to wall socket nothing happens to the camera. Neither green light, red light or orange light.

Do i have to use a different wall socket plug
The wall socket plug should be OK.
Question. Does the camera work without a cable connected? I hope so.
Assuming the camera works, record a minute or two of video.
Now attach the camera to your PC using the thicker cable.
Does the PC recognize the camera drive?
If yes, the cable is OK.
Turn off the camera and unplug it from the PC. Now connect it to the wall plug and watch the LEDs for about a minute. During this time the green LED should turn on. If not, does the green LED turn on when connected to the PC (camera turned off)?
If it does, then the wall plug/cable connection need more investigation... or is not compatible, which is doubtful.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:38 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam234 View Post
Is that Velcro you used to fix it on with? I though of trying that but wondered if the wind would just pull it straight off.
I never fly without that little added protection... The velcro patch underneath the camera and a strap over the camera that is attached to structure.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul