HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Mar 2010
13 Posts
Thanks!

Hello all. Been lurking for a couple weeks. I got my cam last week and finally strapped it on my new quadcopter. Love the camera and this support thread.

Heres some video...
Ifly-4 in basement (4 min 33 sec)

Quick question. When using the video/power breakout usb dongle and powering the camera it seems that it shuts off pretty quickly when not recording. Is this normal? I suspect this may be one of the settings?

Thanks,

Hankinator
Hankinator is offline Find More Posts by Hankinator
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:08 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankinator View Post
Quick question. When using the video/power breakout usb dongle and powering the camera it seems that it shuts off pretty quickly when not recording. Is this normal? I suspect this may be one of the settings?

Thanks,

Hankinator
Yep,

go into the SW, Basic Settings and look where the hook is at "Auto-shutoff",
turn it to "off".

BR

Jörg
Seebodener is offline Find More Posts by Seebodener
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:55 AM
Budapest, Hungary
Joined Dec 2007
197 Posts
Hi all,

Is it possible to modify the TV output from NTSC to PAL?
Since I'm living in Europe and all my equipments are PAL. So I can't use the tv-out function right now...

Thanks in advance!

BR
Adrian

ps.: does it software or hardware related setting?
nhadrian is offline Find More Posts by nhadrian
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:13 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
@ Hankinator, yes there is a auto-shutdown setting. I believe default is 30s.

@nhadrian, yes. But only with the latest FW 0.58. It also allow to change from 16:9 to 4:3 to avoid having the top/bottom black bars.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:17 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,397 Posts
Not sure the 0.58 is available on the site at present due to a couple of hiccups although mine is working fine. It will be back up when rectified.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:31 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
These might work, come as low as -1.5 diopter, seem no prescription needed for swim goggles

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22598.htm
double interest
The lens are interesting, BUT when I entered the goggles site, it detected my UK location, and offered to transfer me to the myus.com - a site providing a US address and forwarding service - intersting if the ban on UK shipments continues..
Thanks
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:41 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Not sure the 0.58 is available on the site at present due to a couple of hiccups although mine is working fine. It will be back up when rectified.
0.58 is available in Post #4:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=4

Also, in the Java application.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
Have thought it this way, but didn't have any little switch at home. Great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuritko View Post
"jurepu" mention his way of switching between external and internal batteries. My way is this:

I am using here little connector which can be found on some old computer parts or can be bought in electronical store and tiny switch I bought from DX as PSP spare part. Wiring is easy. I only cut in half the positive internal battery wire to solder it on switch and add there only two extra wires for external battery. On the photos there is not the magnets on camera yet, but I am going to add them there on the camera. Magnets are also on external battery and there I ad connector to fit one I aded on camera, so I can not connect the external battery wrong way if I made wiring correctly. Switch in position one means that the internal battery is working, in position two means that external battery can be connected. And yes it also resets internal clock every time the switch position is changed. Connector and switch on camera I aded are hot glued.

What do you people think about my way?
jurepu is offline Find More Posts by jurepu
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:01 AM
France, Aquitaine, Blaye
Joined Jan 2010
96 Posts
Hello isoprop

Is it possible to modify the software to do with the micro sd inside the webcam function???
and so it is possible to make a triggering of the voice as a vox !!!!
merci
Rubis is offline Find More Posts by Rubis
Last edited by Rubis; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebodener View Post
Yep,

go into the SW, Basic Settings and look where the hook is at "Auto-shutoff",
turn it to "off".

BR

Jörg
I've found it worthwhile to look very carefully at all the options in the Setup, as some of them seem to change behind my back! I've found things turned off that I never mess with, and didn't miss until the feature didn't show up on a video.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:13 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I've found it worthwhile to look very carefully at all the options in the Setup, as some of them seem to change behind my back! I've found things turned off that I never mess with, and didn't miss until the feature didn't show up on a video.
There are some settings that do not work with or will prevent proper functioning of other settings (e.g. auto-shutoff with time lapse mode), and some features that are not possible with some settings (e.g. no date stamp in the .25 and .50 time lapse modes). The GUI and/or the firmware will not let a user set something that will not work with other settings, and will either ghost out the options or will toggle the other setting so that it will work (e.g. clip length will always be set to 5 min. if loop recording is turned on). The Windows GUI tool tips identify most (all?) of these. Nothing will change otherwise unless the user changes it, but if a user chooses to manually change settings by editing the config file, it IS possible to make conflicting settings that will not work as they expect. That's why it is strongly recommended to always use the GUIs to change settings (and keep the tool tips turned on if the limitations are not known).
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
When using either version of the Java Configuration Assistant GUI, every change to every configuration parameter is analysed by the RulesManager which resolves any configuration conflict. When a conflict is detected, the RulesManager changes the value of the parameter that is in conflict and highlights its description in bold characters. One change can cause a ripple effect on several parameters.

[edit]As just suggested, effective with next releases, description of changed parameter(s) will be in color in addition to being bold.[/edit]

[edit]New releases are now available for download/update.[/edit]
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Dec 09, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: now available
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
double interest
The lens are interesting, BUT when I entered the goggles site, it detected my UK location, and offered to transfer me to the myus.com - a site providing a US address and forwarding service - intersting if the ban on UK shipments continues..
Thanks
Mike
What ban on U.K shipments ?
Someone has ordered a N016 as a present for me and it has arrived O.K.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
No, if the card could not handle the bit rate, you'd have dropped frames. I've yet to get any dropped frames from a true CL4 card (and I have some Kingston CL 4 cards, too.). You can check by stepping through frame by frame in any video areas where it looks like a slight pause or skip during the playback, but you need a player or editor that can advance one frame at a time (I use AviDemux, but VLC player can advance one frame at a time... it just can't go backwards).

Noise is caused by the light level. If there is a lot of motion in a lower light situation and the camera is using a shorter shutter speed to tame the motion, it MUST boost the gain to get proper exposure, and that results in video noise artifacts. And the H.264 video codec uses a variable bit rate, which it will boost or diminish depending on what it determines to be adequate to maintain an equivalent video quality for the scene motion and detail (the settings in the GUI are average bitrates, not constant bit rates).

Have you tested your card for speed (D/L the Diskmark.exe speed test utility to make sure your card is performing up to specs)?

I've just checked the videos by going frame by frame and it's all ok, no dropped frames. Also my card is writing at 4MB/s so no issues. Vignetting is very obvious especially if indoors at low light.

So i made a dark video and a video with proper lighting and both had a video bitrate of 6500kbps (+-50) and i also tried a video data rate of both 7mbps and 10mbps with no difference at all. I guess this should be a bug with the FW.

Also i might add that my older 808 640x480 camera seemed sharper with motion videos.
qsgsg is online now Find More Posts by qsgsg
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:49 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsgsg View Post
I've just checked the videos by going frame by frame and it's all ok, no dropped frames. Also my card is writing at 4MB/s so no issues. Vignetting is very obvious especially if indoors at low light.

So i made a dark video and a video with proper lighting and both had a video bitrate of 6500kbps (+-50) and i also tried a video data rate of both 7mbps and 10mbps with no difference at all. I guess this should be a bug with the FW.

Also i might add that my older 808 640x480 camera seemed sharper with motion videos.
No, the data rate similarity is not a bug. This is fully explained in the FAQs (post #3).

And your old VGA resolution camera has only one third as many pixels of data to manipulate compared to a 1280x720 frame size, plus it uses a much simpler and less efficient video codec (MJPEG) compared to the #16HD (H.264), which achieves a much higher compression than MJPEG... about 3 times smaller for a given bit rate input. So stop and consider... the #16 is compressing three times MORE data into a file size that would be three times bigger if it used the MJPEG compression instead. This all takes time... time the #16 cannot spare since it has to process a new frame 30 times per second, just like the old VGA 808's. The result is the old VGA 808 can use a faster shutter speed because it doesn't have as much data to process and can take more time to compress the data.

Having said that, check your old 808 camera video frame by frame. You will see it drops frames anyway because it's video DSP chip is not as fast or efficient. The dropped frame rate, at best, will be maybe 5-10%... and as high as 30% or so, depending on which model VGA 808 you have.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank