HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Wouldn't this also reset the internal clock every time you changed from one battery source to the other? clever idea though
Yes, it does that.
jurepu is online now Find More Posts by jurepu
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:23 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Guys perhaps it's been asked before. Can we use these as an FPV camera? For example can I plug the USB Cable right a video transmitter? It would also probabbly need a wide angle lense. Here is some video with the camera velcro / zip tied on my quad.
RC Quad with Micro Keychain (1 min 56 sec)
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:41 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,651 Posts
I was not happy with using using the USB connector for AV-OUt so I had to fix the problem.

Result, added micro JST conector specifically for AV-OUT and 5V power.

(The white thing is double-side glue sticker, need to trimm it a bit)

Micro JST conector with 4 pins, it only has video and power as I didn't knew where to get audio. If someone knows I'd like to add it.

It was a long and painfull process to solder and fit it as the USB conector acts as a heatsink and dissipates all the power from the soldering iron.
I've connected the wires to it what will allow also to feed 5v of input like the normal AV-out USB cable. I already use other vTX kits that use the same micro plug so I can reuse them now with the #16 v2.

(added a dab of hot glue oever the wires to make sure they don't receive any stress and get loose)

I call it now #16 v3.

Btw when opening the camera i noticed several pads these four looked particularlly interesting as they two were marked as TX & RX, any idea what is this? Serial connection???

IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Wouldn't this also reset the internal clock every time you changed from one battery source to the other?
Probably... unless you are REALLY fast with making the connection change and there is a minimal capacitor in the circuit to keep the clock running during the swap!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
Guys perhaps it's been asked before. Can we use these as an FPV camera? For example can I plug the USB Cable right a video transmitter? It would also probabbly need a wide angle lense. Here is some video with the camera velcro / zip tied on my quad. http://youtu.be/Qnvks2CZK4U
Yes, FPV is discussed all over this thread in the last couple of months... ever since the V2 came out with video out. Either use the thread search link, or just browse back through for your areas of interest.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
To me, your symptoms sound typical of a flat battery!
Are you sure your battery is fully charged? The green LED should be on while charging. Charging takes from 2 to 2.5 hours.

If the green LED doesn't come on, then you most likely have a defective USB cable or power supply. This is common problem. The first step is to ensure your battery is fully charged. Try a different USB cable, they are standard. If it still doesn't work, try yet another cable!

Once fully charged, you can do further testing by starting a recording and then connecting your camera to your computer or an external power supply. The recording should continue.

It doesn't matter if the card is in or out when you press the reset button. The reset button basically "shorts" the processor which forces the firmware to start running from scratch. It does not affect the real-time clock.

No disaster here! You can even install the very first firmware version that existed!
I made some tests and:
  1. You were right: I was trying to capture short footages but the battery was flat;
  2. I was right: I had the proof that long recordings were not running out of battery because the last scene of video was me grabbing the camera to switch it out.

By the way, I find the image quality of V58 better than the old firmware so I'm already satisfied just by this.

You are all doing a great work, from hardware to firmware to gui. Kudos.
l.aluffi is online now Find More Posts by l.aluffi
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:35 PM
Italy, Piedmont, Asti
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurepu View Post
If anyone is interested in connecting the external battery with modification I have made I give you some simple solution.

You can easily use internal battery with jumper ON white/black wire. The external battery can be connected using servo cable connecting red/black wire. I use 3.7V Li-ion cell phone battery and it works well.

JP
Nice job!

May I suggest that it would be even nicer to have a "miniusb to iso 3 pin" short cable. It could be a good power supply system from the airplane battery (or any airborne battery) to the camera with no additional wires come out from #16.

Maybe eletoponline should start to sell it along his other useful stuff.
l.aluffi is online now Find More Posts by l.aluffi
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.aluffi View Post
Nice job!

May I suggest that it would be even nicer to have a "miniusb to iso 3 pin" short cable. It could be a good power supply system from the airplane battery (or any airborne battery) to the camera with no additional wires come out from #16.

Maybe eletoponline should start to sell it along his other useful stuff.
The mini-USB cable that is for FPV use and that comes with the V2 cameras already does this. It has a +5V IN plug terminated in a standard three pin servo connector (but with only two wires in it for +5V and ground). It also has a similar servo plug with the video out signal and ground wires.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:19 AM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
I want to record at night would these led work for night recording?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-5mm-...item255769c37a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-5mm-...item255769c36a

If not can you point me to the ones that will? If they will work how many will I need to work in the room and the room is about 12'x14' and there will be no lights on.

Jack

Tom please tell me if you want me to stop cause I know it is off topic.
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jmdlcar; Dec 07, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:07 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar View Post
I want to record at night would these led work for night recording?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-5mm-...item255769c37a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-pcs-5mm-...item255769c36a

If not can you point me to the ones that will? If they will work how many will I need to work in the room and the room is about 12'x14' and there will be no lights on.

Jack

Tom please tell me if you want me to stop cause I know it is off topic.
This is not going to work to light a room enough to record anything useful. The camera can "see" many LED's when pointed at the LED, but these tiny LEDs cannot illuminate a room such that the camera could record the reflected light from a room scene. Well... maybe if you had thousands of them. This camera is not a good choice for indoor low light recording from any light source.

Some Google searches might locate a camera that does what you want, but this would be off topic for discussion here, as you guessed.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
I have a V2 lens B with v0.49 FW however the videos are out of focus and i'm unable to rotate the lens. Any other ways to focus?
qsgsg is online now Find More Posts by qsgsg
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:06 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsgsg View Post
I have a V2 lens B with v0.49 FW however the videos are out of focus and i'm unable to rotate the lens. Any other ways to focus?
I refocussed my B lens by carefully scraping all glue from the threads, then unscrewing while firmly gripping the cmos housing. It's risky, you can tear the ribbon cable.

Most are short focussed, so a very mild negative diopter lens added might work. Salvage from a pair of specs.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsgsg View Post
You must be able to rotate the lens and screw it in/out (maybe 1/4 turn either way) to re-focus it. Did you try to chip away the glue in the threads with a needle. That can often allow the lens to be rotated a small amount... enough to adjust the focus. But be careful to hold the square CMOS plastic module VERY securely when attempting to turn the lens, and don't force it. You can crack the plastic or the traces in the ribbon cable.

Search this thread for other tips on freeing the lens. Some have suggested acetone to weaken the joint, but it's highly flammable and could wick into the lens between the elements and cause other problems.

Or, you can get another CMOS/lens module and plug it in.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Oops... an "echo" post... too slow with typing!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
the problem is there isn't any visible glue. I'm hoping this isnt the new way they are "fixing" their lens.
qsgsg is online now Find More Posts by qsgsg
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:36 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,414 Posts
Negative lens

These might work, come as low as -1.5 diopter, seem no prescription needed for swim goggles

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22598.htm
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot