Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:15 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintastic View Post
The official term for this is normally "anamorphic widescreen". It's widely used in SD broadcasts especially in Europe, and also anamorphic widescreen DVDs since 1990s. And normally it DOES increase video information (in relation to 4:3 letterbox).
Of course the better way would be just outputting the original 16:9 video full frame in anamorphic widescreen ("stretched into 4:3" if you will, that's the observed effect).
The anamorphic thing is very simple to explain: just fill the whole 4:3 image up and down so no black bars will appear. The signal is delivered with one more flag for the aspect ratio of 16:9.
Regarding this flag is almost like the same thing as our 5fps recording played at 30fps. The MPEG2 standard which is used on DVDs support this 16:9 flag which also is in the IFO files but this IFO discussion is too much offtopic about DVD standard.
On a PC or standalone player you can play a 720x480 file which is supposed to be 4:3 on a 16:9 screen with correct aspect ratio only because that file have the flag about 16:9 AR.
Or you can play an anamorphic file without any flag if on your player you can set the AR for 16:9. If the FPV user have some gadget which can use 4:3 or 16:9 setting, no matter the flag delivered by the camera.
So I was expecting the developer to offer the 4:3 standard image and the 4:3 as anamorphic.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:57 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
The anamorphic thing is very simple to explain: just fill the whole 4:3 image up and down so no black bars will appear. The signal is delivered with one more flag for the aspect ratio of 16:9.
Regarding this flag is almost like the same thing as our 5fps recording played at 30fps. The MPEG2 standard which is used on DVDs support this 16:9 flag which also is in the IFO files but this IFO discussion is too much offtopic about DVD standard.
On a PC or standalone player you can play a 720x480 file which is supposed to be 4:3 on a 16:9 screen with correct aspect ratio only because that file have the flag about 16:9 AR.
Or you can play an anamorphic file without any flag if on your player you can set the AR for 16:9. If the FPV user have some gadget which can use 4:3 or 16:9 setting, no matter the flag delivered by the camera.
So I was expecting the developer to offer the 4:3 standard image and the 4:3 as anamorphic.

enjoy,
Mtz
The camera is capable of outputting a standard 640x480 (un-distorted by any stretching of compressing of the image) video as is seen in the GUI Video Frame size setting. But this just crops off the sides of the native 16:9 image the camera captures, which loses a lot of the visible scene... not a good thing for FPV use.

Some of the SD 808 cameras output 720x480, which I didn't like because they played back with the scene stretched horizontally. I used to correct that in post processing to get back to proper proportions of the native scene.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:02 PM
LI NY
Joined Sep 2008
1,011 Posts
My firmware update went great using the GUI.
My videos are coming out a bit dark.
maybe someone can list their settings for the "advanced settings"
fierce is offline Find More Posts by fierce
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:28 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
333 Posts
#16 setup file

Few mounts ago I used my camera. Last week I changed SD card to 16G and now I do not have a file to change settings on the camera? I have Mac computer. I just formatted new card with SD formatter. I know that question was probably asked before but looking through 700 posts wow.
Maybe someone can help please. She is working fine but I turned sound of because I was using it with EDF and now I can't turned it back on.
Thanks in advance.

Greg
FWCXC is offline Find More Posts by FWCXC
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWCXC View Post
Few mounts ago I used my camera. Last week I changed SD card to 16G and now I do not have a file to change settings on the camera? I have Mac computer. I just formatted new card with SD formatter. I know that question was probably asked before but looking through 700 posts wow.
Maybe someone can help please. She is working fine but I turned sound of because I was using it with EDF and now I can't turned it back on.
Thanks in advance.

Greg
You can extract the camera configuration file from the camera with some button presses, then edit it manually. You don't need to read all the posts, just start with post #1 like the thread title says. The access the User Instruction manual linked in post #3 for more details on how to use your camera. And there is a GUI that will run on a MAC now, so download that as well to make setting the configuration easy. You probably need to download more recent firmware as well.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:31 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce View Post
My firmware update went great using the GUI.
My videos are coming out a bit dark.
maybe someone can list their settings for the "advanced settings"
Did you even try changing any of the advanced settings? The Exposure setting will make videos lighter or darker, just like it says in the GUI.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:22 AM
Germany, lake of Konstanz
Joined Nov 2004
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I have no idea unless your displays have some over-scan area on the sides. Are you using PAL equipment? Do you get the same result when outputting in PAL mode versus NTSC mode?

If you've read the posts here, not everyone is reporting this problem.
Yes Tom, I have PAL equipment and due to my knowledge form German forums, at least many if not every German customer of Keycam #16 has the same problem with the vertical bars left and right. I don't know why they don't register here on RCGroups and report it, too.

Regards, Gerd

PS: If I select NTSC output at the keycam the vertical bars left and right will become more wide. So I guess the video timing for PAL is still not optimal.

I have taken a screenshot with my Hama Video Editor framegrabber to show you how it looks like, Keycam set to PAL mode and 16:9.
GerdS is online now Find More Posts by GerdS
Last edited by GerdS; Dec 02, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:25 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,322 Posts
We have PAL system here but I only ever watch vids on my puter. Can't help I'm afraid.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:54 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I'm wanting to use my #16 on a Walkera Ladybird. I've weighed it at 17g with the MicroSD, but without the case it's only 10g.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could make a lighter casing for it? I've got a micro 5.8GHz vtx hooked up to it, currently it comes in around 20g, but if I can loose 5g or so on the casing it would be much better!

I've found some battery connectors so I'll be seeing how the #16 battery copes with powering the vtx too, that'll keep the weight down.
sidneylopsides is offline Find More Posts by sidneylopsides
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:06 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post
I'm wanting to use my #16 on a Walkera Ladybird. I've weighed it at 17g with the MicroSD, but without the case it's only 10g.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could make a lighter casing for it? I've got a micro 5.8GHz vtx hooked up to it, currently it comes in around 20g, but if I can loose 5g or so on the casing it would be much better!

I've found some battery connectors so I'll be seeing how the #16 battery copes with powering the vtx too, that'll keep the weight down.
There have been many attempts to save weight like this on these tiny aircraft, but most don't work as expected because:

1. You need to add connectors and additional wiring to make the connections - some weight savings goes away.

2. Most don't have a vtx on board, and try to power the camera from the flight battery. Then, the camera stops recording when the delivered voltage under load drops to about 3.7V. This is well above the point where there is not enough power to fly. One recent example I read only got 2+ minutes of video. Also the flight time decreases.

3. If you try to power the vtx with the camera battery, you also risk losing vtx video as well as the recording...

4. The minimal "case" for the camera would be some shrink wrap over the circuit board, but be sure to carefully secure the camera lens module to it with hot glue or silicone adhesive so it doesn't vibrate - this will also detract from the initial weight savings.

The camera battery comprises most of the weight savings. If it were me, I'd find a smaller battery that can power just the camera, so it records for just slightly more than a typical flight. The 250 mAH stock battery powers the camera for about 40 min. You'd need to do some trial and error due to the voltage problem, but you might find something like a 100 mAH lipo cell can power the camera for maybe 10 minutes. Then you'd have the best combination of weight savings, flight and video recording time. But, maybe there is some happy medium using a separate battery for camera and vtx as well, especially if losing the vtx is not critical because you have a friend as a spotter and you're not very far away?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 02, 2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spellin
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerdS View Post
Yes Tom, I have PAL equipment and due to my knowledge form German forums, at least many if not every German customer of Keycam #16 has the same problem with the vertical bars left and right. I don't know why they don't register here on RCGroups and report it, too.

Regards, Gerd

PS: If I select NTSC output at the keycam the vertical bars left and right will become more wide. So I guess the video timing for PAL is still not optimal.

I have taken a screenshot with my Hama Video Editor framegrabber to show you how it looks like, Keycam set to PAL mode and 16:9.
Well, I have a +20-year-old PAL monitor and the 4:3 image shows absolutely perfectly, of course with the vertical distortion. No black bars at any side. If I select 16:9 I obviously get the black bars at the top and bottom.

In NTSC mode the picture is black-and-white, which is also normal on a monitor which was designed for PAL only.

On my PAL TV, which also supports NTSC, I also never get any bars at the side.
If I go thru the composite (SCART) plug on my recorder and then to my TV, I also never get any side bars on my monitor or TV. All test equipment used was not designed for HD.

So, to summarize, on my PAL TV/monitor equipment I always get full screen video when 4:3 is selected.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:19 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerdS View Post

Regards, Gerd

Thanks for the update. I tried outputting the video to my old NTSC cathode ray tube TV with 4:3 display. The video had a very tiny bit of black bars on the sides, but they were curved such that there was a bit of black in the middle of both sides, but none at the top. But I think this was due to a misadjusted pincushion correction circuit and not inherent to the camera output. I switch to PAL, and got slightly more pronounced version of the same thing. I believe I could eliminate the black bars entirely by adjusting the pincushion. But this is not something that a digital display has or needs.

I don't know if there is any kind of adjustment for this in the DSP chip that outputs the signal (I doubt it), but the developer reads this thread, so it's registered as an issue for consideration.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:28 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post

Done with #11 here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9696
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:29 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Yup that was me. I would add that I'm re-connecting the camera's cell now ... running it off the flight pack worked fine but the camera shuts down long before the quad indicates LVC (only approx. 2 minutes of recording time). With the cell back on the #11 weighs 11.1 grams. I'm using clear tape to protect the board.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Yup that was me. I would add that I'm re-connecting the camera's cell now ... running it off the flight pack worked fine but the camera shuts down long before the quad indicates LVC (only approx. 2 minutes of recording time). With the cell back on the #11 weighs 11.1 grams. I'm using clear tape to protect the board.
But are you also powering an FPV vtx on board as well like the original poster was?