HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
I'm an old guy, my first exposure to computer programming was using Fortran and punch cards. To me using the text file and following your simple instructions is as it should be...this fancy GUI interface is the work-around, JK.
OK, I see your point (having also experienced the punch card/Fortran days myself)
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamybuilder View Post
Actually I did not disconnect the battery while handling the board. I will order the lens module and give it a try. But i thought even though cam doesnt work, it should have atleast detected the card etc.
I'm not positive, but I think the camera does some self-diagnostics at boot time to make sure the key components are functional. If any of those fail, it never goes into it's normal mode of operation. In that case, the USB removable drive detection and handshaking may not function either. It's just a guess, but I've had some strange boot failures a couple of times with fast blinking of the yellow led as well as always on LED. Did you try disconnecting the battery for a minute, then re-connecting it (a cold boot?). That has been known to un-lock a camera frozen in some endless loop.

Also, try loading in new firmware. The boot loader is in control at that point, before the firmware ever starts executing. That might just be enough of a slap in the face to bring your camera to its senses.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:28 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,923 Posts
My #16 V2 arrived today and has already had a flight. Wow! after the #11 I am impressed. Just gotta get the greens a little greener my wife tells me. The Class 10 16Gb mem card works well. The focus seems excellent close and far.
Video here...
Radian vid cut (4 min 1 sec)

Screen grab
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:31 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
Wow, everytime the new firmware is released I am impresed. Long time ago when #16 was out only for few months, there was several times written that it do not have enough space for more functions and big improvment, and now it has a lot of new functions and huge improvment. GREAT JOB everyone. THANK YOU for such a great product. So glad that I have this tiny device

And I will repost question I posted in fishys thread and did not get answer. What exactly is Exposure setting? It changes how long exposure is? If yes, which setting is best for night shots, lighter or darker (so lighter mean that exposure is long and camera makes lighter images, or that it is good for lighter conditions)?
And I am not sure if this settings affects only video or still images also?
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,591 Posts
Thank you all for a fine thread. Just rec'd my 2nd camera today for my other FPV plane. Could not be happier.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:33 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Recent v0.58 firmware looks very cool! Would like to test it in the air soon as FPV camera! I just tested simple FPV configuration with it on ground. 4:3 FPV view while recording in HD is great!
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Last edited by pavn; Nov 28, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:30 AM
France, Aquitaine, Blaye
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Hello

We users no more deserves to be the update that are easy as Hello

thanks again Isoprop and Tom-Frank
Rubis is offline Find More Posts by Rubis
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:14 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Yeah, is true to thank Isoprop and Tom because I am sure was a lot of work to test all these new features.
And any of them had another work to do: Isoprop to create the new version of Nr16Setup and Tom to go... fishing.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
My #16 V2 arrived today and has already had a flight. Wow! after the #11 I am impressed. Just gotta get the greens a little greener my wife tells me. The Class 10 16Gb mem card works well. The focus seems excellent close and far.
Nice AP, good to see in this thread!!

I flew my #16 in very overcast conditions yesterday and had a lot of motion blur. Not the case with GoPro. So I'm thinking the pinhole type lenses (type B in my case) are limited in low light. Ok in bright sun.

Did you try the fluorescent setting?
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:35 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
This is not about your question but I remembered that the best setting for low light using the camera is:
Exposure - Lighter
White Balance - Tungsten

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Iso...
I was using a wall charger with an internal DC-DC converter dropping ~7v down to 5.01v but it is linear.

Ill check into a 1A Sbec but ill also mess with my 5v linear regulators to get them working correctly... and probably run it on a 2S lipo so there is less loss.

Chris
I use a $3 Hobbyking 5V UBEC hacked onto a cut up mini USB cable. Works for me well, and no heat to speak of on 2S or 3S voltages.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Jun 2012
130 Posts
Thank you for re-opening the thread , Tom, and also for new firmware.
Isoprop , thank you for your GUI.
You are excellent.
stevohaker is offline Find More Posts by stevohaker
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:25 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
OK, I see your point (having also experienced the punch card/Fortran days myself)
I used to support payroll systems and remember converting them from paper tape input to punch cards!

Isoprop's GUI is much easier to use
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuritko View Post
And I will repost question I posted in fishys thread and did not get answer. What exactly is Exposure setting? It changes how long exposure is? If yes, which setting is best for night shots, lighter or darker (so lighter mean that exposure is long and camera makes lighter images, or that it is good for lighter conditions)?
And I am not sure if this settings affects only video or still images also?
I saw your question in that other title-copying thread, and not surprisingly, I saw you did not get an adequate answer there. I do not support that thread or it's purpose, so I (and MANY others) do not post there. But you found your way here, so welcome.

The exposure setting names in the #16 are intended to describe in simple terms how they affect your video image. So if your video is too dark, pick the "Light" or "Lighter" setting give more exposure and make your video less dark, and vice versa. Just toggle the settings and shoot a short video to see the effect and pick which you like the best... you can't break anything and can always change back to the "Normal" setting.

It also helps to know what the camera is doing when you change this setting. The camera lens has a fixed aperture and cannot change it's diameter to let in more or less light. It can only make your images darker or lighter in two ways. One is by changing how long it keeps the CMOS array actively capturing light, the electronic equivalent of a mechanical camera shutter. The other is by changing the CMOS "gain" to make it more or less sensitive to the light that reaches it, the electronic equivalent of using different film speeds (e.g. ISO 200, IS0 400) if you are familiar with film cameras.

The #16 in the "Normal" exposure setting actually does both! It will normally favor getting the right exposure with the electronic shutter. But as the light level drops, slowing the shutter down to let in more light will reach the point where moving scenes will start to get blurry. To avoid this, it will boost the CMOS gain to make it more sensitive so the shutter does not have to stay open as long. That reduces the motion blur, BUT increases the video "noise", which makes the images start to look "grainy". When light level drops too much, you'll get both motion blur AND grainy video, an unavoidable condition with the hardware used in this inexpensive camera. It's a delicate balance as to what looks best, and I'm always amazed, not at how it works, but that it works at all!

That said, I've gotten some pretty nice night scenes in the dark with lots of bright points of light, e.g. the night Christmas boat parade video I posted here about a year ago, when the camera did not have any exposure adjustment ability. You should be able to find it with the advanced thread search function (search on my username and a key word, like "boat" or "parade").

So, try the different settings for ALL the different image functions, see what looks best to YOUR eye, because what others see is not exactly the same as how your eyes see brightness, or color for that matter. Their favorite setting may not be best for you. The old saying that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" has never been more true, nor more demonstrable.

Finally, I'll add that the settings in this function probably need to be tweaked for more uniform effect on both sides of the "Normal" midpoint. And the same goes for some of the other function settings. The developer is aware of this, and needs more user feedback from users on what they think needs adjusting. So for all who have read through this long post, please post your feedback in this thread.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,923 Posts
Unfortunately for some reason I can not access the GUI that allows changing the Tungsten/flourescent settings. It is greyed out. I did try to update tp the latest firmware but no change. Also I cannot access PAL, only NTSC is available. However, I am not too fazed by this I am loving the cam as it is. I do intend to modify my buttons to stop rattle/vibe as I did with my other one as the mic picks up this vibration. I don't know why it hasn't bothered anyone else.?? Here is a pic taken of tape install. Sorry about the quality but I couldn't use the new cam.

Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:29 PM.