HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
FPV flying with my #16 D lens

I really love this camera for FPV.

FPV Mega Minor Capricorn flying with the Lake Poway Skimmers by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 58 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, Oroville
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
So I got my three 808 #16's today.. I also asked and recieved some "special" cables (short) for my #11.. I grabbed the long cables and promptly started charging the #16's.. Much to my surprise after 3hrs charging the red light was still on and the cameras were warm.
I questioned myself and I'm assuming the long USB cables they gave me are also "special" cables as they have the two wire configuration.. I disconnected them and plugged in a reg USB cable I had and the LED lit green.
So my question is .. Did I damage the cameras by charging them with the "special" cables?
I then labeled all the cables accordingly
savage 40 is offline Find More Posts by savage 40
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:42 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
The only "de-shake" filtering. is the filtering youtube does when they "fix" you videos. here is the raw unedited video.. remember it the raw footage so no complaining!! LOL.. I also used roxio media creator. ( a pain in the but) easy to create..very hard to make a quality format.. I had to save as an image file the convert to a video file both my computer and youtube would except...while trying to maintain a video that wasn't all blurry... Ohh... on this video I tole youtube "not" to correct the video in anyway...( ie raw) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWLqS...ature=youtu.be
Personally, I think the 'raw' video (no deshaker) is much easier to watch.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage 40 View Post
So I got my three 808 #16's today.. I also asked and recieved some "special" cables (short) for my #11.. I grabbed the long cables and promptly started charging the #16's.. Much to my surprise after 3hrs charging the red light was still on and the cameras were warm.
I questioned myself and I'm assuming the long USB cables they gave me are also "special" cables as they have the two wire configuration.. I disconnected them and plugged in a reg USB cable I had and the LED lit green.
So my question is .. Did I damage the cameras by charging them with the "special" cables?
I then labeled all the cables accordingly
I assume you are talking about the old, 5-pin, mini-USB #11 cables because the new, 8-pin, mini USB #11/#18 will not fit the #16.

If the cables are two-wire, long or short, they are most likely "special" cables if you ordered them for the #11

If you used the old #11 "special" cable you have most likely permanently damaged your camera. It is very clearly marked in the instruction manual that you must never, ever, use these cables

I have also posted many times that #11 "special" cables should be clearly marked as such. I have also criticized the special charging cables used by the #11/#18, new and old, a number of times. I don't know why the #18 developer kept this bad design in the new models.

The problem is the old #11 special cable uses pin #4 to charge the camera, whereas the #16 uses pin #4 for video-out. On the #16, pin #16 is directly connected to the processor so you have been pumping the processor with 5V, for 3 hours . Unless you have been very, very lucky, chances are you have destroyed the processor. The processor is the most expensive item on the board and cannot be replaced without specialized equipment and tools.

As a WARNING to others - never, ever, even think of interchanging #11 and #16 cables unless you are 100% sure the cable in questions is a standard cable.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
I'm about to order myself a 808 #16 HD and have a few quick questions.

If I order with D lens, can I buy A or B lens aswell and interchange lenses?

How can I mod the cam to run off external power? The supplier of the Receiver power cable will not ship to my country.

Does the 120deg lens have a little or a lot of fisheye? I am not fond of the gopro because of the amount of fisheye effect. Will I be better off rather purchasing the a or b lens?

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
Crazy1 is offline Find More Posts by Crazy1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
See my answers in red below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy1 View Post
I'm about to order myself a 808 #16 HD and have a few quick questions.

If I order with D lens, can I buy A or B lens aswell and interchange lenses?
Yes, but the lens hole is much bigger for the D lens. Also, the hole for the B lens is a little larger than the hole for the A lens. It would most probably be better to order separate cases for each lens. Email the seller and ask him for the prices.

How can I mod the cam to run off external power? The supplier of the Receiver power cable will not ship to my country.
If you use 5V there is no mod necessary. Just connect 5V to the USB. It's standard.

Does the 120deg lens have a little or a lot of fisheye? I am not fond of the gopro because of the amount of fisheye effect. Will I be better off rather purchasing the a or b lens?
There have been lots of comparison videos posted, but I'm afraid you'll have to search this thread. I like the A lens the best, but it is not so wide-angle as the others. The D lens has far too much fisheye for my likings, but it depends on what you want to use it for.
Tom posted a comparison of Lens A, B and D here, for example.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
[QUOTE=Isoprop;23314806]I assume you are talking about the old, 5-pin, mini-USB #11 cables because the new, 8-pin, mini USB #11/#18 will not fit the #16.

If the cables are two-wire, long or short, they are most likely "special" cables if you ordered them for the #11

If you used the old #11 "special" cable you have most likely permanently damaged your camera. It is very clearly marked in the instruction manual that you must never, ever, use these cables

I have also posted many times that #11 "special" cables should be clearly marked as such. I have also criticized the special charging cables used by the #11/#18, new and old, a number of times. I don't know why the #18 developer kept this bad design in the new models.

The problem is the old #11 special cable uses pin #4 to charge the camera, whereas the #16 uses pin #4 for video-out. On the #16, pin #16 is directly connected to the processor so you have been pumping the processor with 5V, for 3 hours . Unless you have been very, very lucky, chances are you have destroyed the processor. The processor is the most expensive item on the board and cannot be replaced without specialized equipment and tools.

As a WARNING to others - never, ever, even think of interchanging #11 and #16 cables unless you are 100% sure the cable in questions is a standard

I put an sd card in one.. And it still recorded..so I guess I better check the others? Dammit! .. Why in the world would eptoline (eBay seller check spelling) send all the cables mixed and not marked? I had ordered a couple special cables for my #11..
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
[QUOTE=savage 40;23315162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I assume you are talking about the old, 5-pin, mini-USB #11 cables because the new, 8-pin, mini USB #11/#18 will not fit the #16.

As a WARNING to others - never, ever, even think of interchanging #11 and #16 cables unless you are 100% sure the cable in questions is a standard

I put an sd card in one.. And it still recorded..so I guess I better check the others? Dammit! .. Why in the world would eptoline (eBay seller check spelling) send all the cables mixed and not marked? I had ordered a couple special cables for my #11..
The cables are never marked, it's up to the user to mark them! I've only very, vary rarely seen a cable from any manufacturer marked. The same goes for power supplies. I've grown into a habit of marking any accessory that is non-standard - it will save you many headaches and maybe burnt devices in the future. Also mark your 808's if you have a few, #3, #16 etc.

If the camera still recorded, that may be a good sign. Keep us informed, also if video-out works or not
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Sep 2007
81 Posts
I do know the red charging light stayed on the whole time it was plugged in. After 3hrs I disconnected them as the light never went green.. Then I plugged in the regular USB cord and the light went green
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Removed helpful info
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage 40 View Post
I do know the red charging light stayed on the whole time it was plugged in. After 3hrs I disconnected them as the light never went green.. Then I plugged in the regular USB cord and the light went green
The #16 does NOT have a red charging light, its green when charging and off when charged.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
772 Posts
[QUOTE=fishycomics;23315297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post

Isoprop

This is one of them . telling you not to directly plug into the wrong ports and camera, that is one company called Kodak for two camera's a zi8, and zi10.

So how does this gem of information help any #16 user ...........
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Removed helpful info
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Personally, I think the 'raw' video (no deshaker) is much easier to watch.
I agree thx. It looks like youtubes deshaker shakes worse then the raw footage. I will reupload my video and choose youtube to not fix anything again!! Lol
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:48 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,059 Posts
[QUOTE=fishycomics;23315426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post

Details are simple. Do not assume all cables work. Keyword was ANY manufacturer. Do not plug just any manufacturer's cable in to just any camera

For I only shown that there are companies that care in ways to inform you what to and not plug in. Since we are dealing with hong kong company I am sure there are FCC rules and regulations to follow. I again kept to a very simple post

Thanks for making it more than it is we are entitled to opinions
FCC is a AMERICAN organisation to do with radio & telephone.
Hong kong is in CHINA, and has its own - different set of rules.
mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee