SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
the latest firmware says something about motion detection. does that mean it will auto detect the beginning and end of a flight?
thats pretty much exactly what it does. i was quite excited about that application but unfortunately for me it conflicts with other features in the latest firmware. some do not see any use for capturing only the flying part but i think those guys are also more into spending lots of time on a pc with that cut, join, split, mix, effects stuff than me.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Nov 2012
38 Posts
external power supply

Hi guys,

I read the info on the external power supply but just wanted to clarify....

I have an step down Align output of 5.8v nominal and wanted to tee of this to the power cable of the usb.... question is ?

will i need to add an SBEC turnigy 5v output or will it be ok with 5.8v

If so the main question here is do I have to disconnect the internal battery of the keycam ! so not to overload the keycam.. or will the 5volts be ok and keep the keycam charged.

hope for some feedback guys jase
jase1 is offline Find More Posts by jase1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
i have an 808/16 i bought about 8 months ago. i see the latest firmware says something about motion detection. does that mean it will auto detect the beginning and end of a flight? i've looked thru the online manual and didnt see anything about enabling or disabling motion detection in the manual or the gui.
anybody point me in the right direction, or does this only apply to the latest cams?
First you need to update your camera firmware to the latest version. and also download the latest Windows GUI to configure the firmware (see post #4 for all that).

The function will detect motion as soon as the camera is powered on, and will then record a video clip for a set duration, configured by the user with the GUI. If there is no motion detected at the end of that time period, the camera will stop recording and go into a "wait" state, watching for motion to begin again, at which point it will start recording again. This cycling will continue until the card is full, the battery is dead, orthe user turns off the camera.

FWIW, the function is being reviewed right now and may change slightly. The manual will be updated when the function is cast in stone.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Anyone on right now? I tried to install the "Java Configuration Assistant for the #16 Camera" and I think I screwed it up. Very fast yellow flashes and nothing else. How do I fix this? Reset button?
nansuckit is offline Find More Posts by nansuckit
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:11 PM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nansuckit View Post
Anyone on right now? I tried to install the "Java Configuration Assistant for the #16 Camera" and I think I screwed it up. Very fast yellow flashes and nothing else. How do I fix this? Reset button?
Very fast yellow flashes means camera is loading firmware. Did you follow instructions to the letter? In any case, please explain exactly what you did and what happened.

[edit] You can try to remove microSD card from camera then power it on. When the yellow led flashes rapidly, quickly insert microSD card. Connect it to computer as removable drive and delete firmware file (FWMICDVR.BIN).
[/edit]
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added instructions.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
I was trying to install the configuration helper guide thing located here ->http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7038
To begin with, I'm not even sure i clicked the correct version, I chose v0.49 MOV (I have a MAC) and I got the thing in the mail today. I might have wanted to choose v3 Bootloader? Anyway, somewhere during the process, I think when I took the TF card out and it asked me to put it back in very fast at a certain point, I think I messed that part up. I clicked "next" and it said "no camera was found." now all I get is the yellow flashes and it turns off
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
427 Posts
Quote:
I was trying to install the configuration helper guide thing located here ->http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7038
To begin with, I'm not even sure i clicked the correct version, I chose v0.49 MOV (I have a MAC) and I got the thing in the mail today. I might have wanted to choose v3 Bootloader? Anyway, somewhere during the process, I think when I took the TF card out and it asked me to put it back in very fast at a certain point, I think I messed that part up. I clicked "next" and it said "no camera was found." now all I get is the yellow flashes and it turns off
It is loading firmware. Try this:
1-Remove microSD card from camera then power it on.
2-When the yellow led flashes rapidly, quickly insert microSD card.
3-Connect camera to computer as removable drive and delete firmware file (FWMICDVR.BIN).
And you should be in business.
You should also load the v3 bootloader as it eliminates the need for this manual step.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks, I think I'm back in business. Did a quick video and it worked ok (I think I just opened the package 20 minutes ago). I'll try the bootloader now, and also, the red light is on continuously, even while
i'm charging right now... that okay?

Edit, It's not in camera mode either, I tried to switch between the camera and video and the red light stays.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
427 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I think I'm back in business. Did a quick video and it worked ok (I think I just opened the package 20 minutes ago). I'll try the bootloader now, and also, the red light is on continuously, even while
i'm charging right now... that okay?

Edit, It's not in camera mode either, I tried to switch between the camera and video and the red light stays.
Red light means it is powered on and connected as a removable drive. To charge it, eject and disconnect it. When leds are all off for a while, just connect it to any USB port without turning it on. Green light will turn on to indicate it is charging.

Take a look at Configuration Assistant, Help, Camera Instructions. That willl likely answer all your questions.

You should also read the first 5 posts of this thread for useful information.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for your help. As for your advice about reading the manual... I will try harder, lol.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:21 AM
Germany
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase1 View Post
Hi guys,

I read the info on the external power supply but just wanted to clarify....

I have an step down Align output of 5.8v nominal and wanted to tee of this to the power cable of the usb.... question is ?

will i need to add an SBEC turnigy 5v output or will it be ok with 5.8v

If so the main question here is do I have to disconnect the internal battery of the keycam ! so not to overload the keycam.. or will the 5volts be ok and keep the keycam charged.

hope for some feedback guys jase
As far as I know You should feed 4,8 - 5,2 V to the USB-connection of the cam. 5,8 may work but may also stress the electronic of the camera. I didn't try 5,8 V by myself but remember to have read something like this somewhere in this thread. So be carefull and check with the search-function in this thread to not burn Your cam.

If You feed the USB-connection with 4,8 - 5,2 V there should be no danger of overloading because cam-electronic controlls the charge-procedure of the inner battery.

George
fastguy is offline Find More Posts by fastguy
Last edited by fastguy; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
What's the weather?
Joined Nov 2012
58 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the hobby (have a super cub DSM).
I would like to attach my no 16 cam to it, but of course, don't want the time and date stamp.
Could any of you give me instructions on how to do this?
leg0er is offline Find More Posts by leg0er
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leg0er View Post
Hi, I'm new to the hobby (have a super cub DSM).
I would like to attach my no 16 cam to it, but of course, don't want the time and date stamp.
Could any of you give me instructions on how to do this?
Read the first 5 posts........................Carefully.

Then download the GUI and turn off the date stamp.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordlucan View Post
I see from the FAQ that cold weather reduces recording time. Here in Limerick, Ireland the temperature today has been around 7C. Is that cold by your standards?
That's cold by anybody's standards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastguy View Post
We have here right now morning and evening temperatures between -2 and +5 degrees Celsius.
What you guys need is a compass. Turn it around until it's poining SOUTH, and begin travelling!

(Greetings from the USA, the Heart of Dixie (Tennessee), where it's sunny and headed for a high of 62F)
dmccormick001 is online now Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
But aside from that, remember the #16 has many, many more parameter settings than the #18 so space for a one-page GUI won't look good. There are also many settings which can't be combined together, so the GUI would have to account for these as well. There is a lot of logic built into the #16 GUI which most people don't realize. Why should they? A user friendly GUI should protect users from all the invalid combinations.
First I want to tell you that I am not asking to you to make some GUI for Android, but maybe if somebody which can make it, to read some opinions. We must think a more easy way that you used for the Nr16Setup on Windows which have so many features maybe because of the USB communication. But if we don't use the USB communication and we just want the TXT file created on the card?

About Android (possible) App:
- because of USB OTG connection (which is not available on all Android devices and many smartphones doesn't have it) the file can be directly edited on the SD card so is not needed any other new USB communication protocol if the TXT (read only) file is already there. We just need to edit it.
- because of the scrolling down Android feature, is possible to add all options in one page
- the invalid combinations can be greyed out also on Android

Quote:
Like you say, in the end it's most probably easier to change the parameters by editing the txt file by hand - or set up your camera properly with your PC or take your sub-netbook with you
Right now if I want to edit the settings file I will not wait for any app to be produced. I will directly edit the TXT file because is very easy to do, so for me is not needed any Android app, but if some will appear of course I will use it.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz