HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevohaker View Post
Can gui for Android be made like this
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...hon-7-Activity
If your question is addressed to me, I don't know what you expect my reply to be

The link you supplied has absolutely nothing to do with USB communication. It's a dead simple example of a parent-child communication which exists in all modern programming languages. Python, like java, is a high-level programming language so I very much doubt you will be able to write a low-level USB communication layer in one of those languages. Is there a reason you want to use python? I would think using python would complicate matters even more.....

Quite honestly, I don't know how difficult it would be to write an android GUI which interacts with the camera using USB. I do not program for Android. The GUI I wrote is written in c++ using the Windows SDK/DDK. It is not portable to another OS, but would have to be rewritten by someone who has knowledge of how to program USB communication on the OS in question.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
In case you want to replace the charger IC yourself and you can't find the SGM4054 that Mtz recommended, you can also use the more common TP4055. These should cost less than $1 a piece.

Luckily, these ICs are quite large and if you have an SMD fine-tipped soldering iron and fairly good soldering experience, easy to replace yourself. I've replaced a similar IC on the #11 a number of times.
All the same, since it's a new camera, I would get it replaced.

A fixed level audio injection point is unknown.
Thanks for the information. I have an old 808 480p camera here. Can I use this IC for the #16? Are they all the same?
kenci is online now Find More Posts by kenci
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2010
35 Posts
Dead #16?

I got a problem when updating the firmware of my second #16 from eletoponline when asked by Nr 16Setup vers. 3.0 3.0 program to do so. Now this #16 is not recogized by my computer via usb and when powered on it blinks rapidly yellow a dozen of time then after a short while blinks red once and does not work.
Should I forget about it
or keep it for the parts
or do something using the other #16 upgraded and fine?
Thanks for reading anyway
JYVAI is offline Find More Posts by JYVAI
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Maybe for Android somebody can make a more simple GUI with all options in one page, something like the #18 GUI and using it directly from the Card, but just to create the TXT file.
Of course is more easy for programmers the users to edit the TXT directly and not to create an App for this, but users will vote for an application.
Regarding Android, not too many devices have USB OTG and most of them are smartphones which lacks of USB OTG. Is more easy to use your smartphone for this and not to carry another special gadget just to create a simple txt file.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYVAI View Post
I got a problem when updating the firmware of my second #16 from eletoponline when asked by Nr 16Setup vers. 3.0 3.0 program to do so. Now this #16 is not recogized by my computer via usb and when powered on it blinks rapidly yellow a dozen of time then after a short while blinks red once and does not work.
Should I forget about it
or keep it for the parts
or do something using the other #16 upgraded and fine?
Thanks for reading anyway
There is nothing wrong with your camera, but you didn't follow the instructions BY THE LETTER.

OK, lets start afresh.
Turn on your camera and let it do it's wild blinking, but make sure you wait at least 10 seconds or longer.
Now remove the card.
Turn on the camera and wait until it slowly blinks.
Insert the card back into the camera and wait until the yellow LED turns back on.
Plug the USB cable from the camera into the PC.
Start the GUI and it should automatically find your camera.
Select the camera and set the parameters how you want them.
Save the parameters.
Your camera should now work correctly.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Oct 2010
18 Posts
I see from the FAQ that cold weather reduces recording time. Here in Limerick, Ireland the temperature today has been around 7C. Is that cold by your standards? If so is there any way to negate the effects i.e something as low tech as wrapping it in something to keep it from getting too cold?
Lordlucan is offline Find More Posts by Lordlucan
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Maybe for Android somebody can make a more simple GUI with all options in one page, something like the #18 GUI and using it directly from the Card, but just to create the TXT file.
Of course is more easy for programmers the users to edit the TXT directly and not to create an App for this, but users will vote for an application.
Regarding Android, not too many devices have USB OTG and most of them are smartphones which lacks of USB OTG. Is more easy to use your smartphone for this and not to carry another special gadget just to create a simple txt file.
I doubt it took more than a couple of hours to program the #18 GUI and it's not all that user-friendly either. All the same, it's certainly easier to use than editing a file by hand, which is not at all easy with the #18.

But aside from that, remember the #16 has many, many more parameter settings than the #18 so space for a one-page GUI won't look good. There are also many settings which can't be combined together, so the GUI would have to account for these as well. There is a lot of logic built into the #16 GUI which most people don't realize. Why should they? A user friendly GUI should protect users from all the invalid combinations.

Like you say, in the end it's most probably easier to change the parameters by editing the txt file by hand - or set up your camera properly with your PC or take your sub-netbook with you
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordlucan View Post
I see from the FAQ that cold weather reduces recording time. Here in Limerick, Ireland the temperature today has been around 7C. Is that cold by your standards? If so is there any way to negate the effects i.e something as low tech as wrapping it in something to keep it from getting too cold?
Yes 5c (41 f) is cold enough to limit the length of time the battery will operate the camera.

Last winter i made a foam case with a glass window for using the camera in cold weather.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1566
The foam case worked good.
This year the cam is being powered through the usb at 5v and will not be in the foam case and fully exposed to the cold...will see how it goes.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The link that Justapoke posted, is correct.

However, if you want to make the cable yourself, here goes...

The cable on the picture you posted is hand-made and will only work on the original #11 which requires a "special" cable. I have made many of these cables and I always mark them with a piece of white heat-shrink tubing, as you can see in the original picture.

I also very often make my own cables for the #16 because I can make them the quality and length that I want. I trust a soldered connection much more than a crimped connection.

If you have a fine-tipped soldering iron they are easy to make. The best place to buy the plugs is on eBay. Mini 5-pin USB plugs also exist as right-angled plugs, which are real space-savers. If you buy the plugs locally, beware of the solder pin connections. You want the plugs with 5 solder connections. Many locally available plugs have 5 pins but only 4 solder connections. On the #16, pin #4 is only used for video-out, but all the same, I don't believe in buying castrated plugs.
If you make the cable yourself, I strongly recommend you fill the plug with some type of glue to reinforce the plug. I use hot glue which I apply very quickly using a toothpick before assembly. Using hot-glue can become very messy if you use too much or are too slow. I'm sure there are better glues.

You can use the cable from an old or over-long USB cable.

eBay links:
5-pin mini USB right angled plugs
5-pin mini USB plugs

BTW, I noticed a typo on my original picture. The output should read 5V 450mA and not 450mAh Obviously 450mAh @5V would never give you 5.5hours recording time! Boy, it takes me over a year to notice my own typo from someone else's post
Hi Isoprop,

thank You. I appreciate Your detailed answer. I already ordered the cable from HK, that Justapoke posted before. But the right angled plugs are neat and may be better suitable for the use of the cam on a bike-helmet. So I think I will get some of those and pimp an old cable.

BTW After one year of ripening in the cloud Your typo was ready to be digged out and presented to You from some clueless excavator who didn't even realize that he found one ;-)

George
fastguy is offline Find More Posts by fastguy
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Hello,

Is that a new model will soon come out? I intend to buy a #16, but if a new model comes out I'll wait ....

Alex.
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordlucan View Post
We have here right now morning and evening temperatures between -2 and +5 degrees Celsius. Operating time of my cam on the bike-helmet under these conditions is 20 Minutes max., sometimes even considerably less. Therefore I will try a bigger battery and/or external power supply. I ordered a 1S 750 mAh Lipo and hope it will fit underneath the cam without making it to bulky. I also ordered an "USB emergency power backup" as presented earlier from Isoprop. I plan to place it at the rear side of the helmet and hope, that the additional weight and the cable will not disturb helmet-comfort too much.

George
fastguy is offline Find More Posts by fastguy
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Here is a frame grab from my FPV flight with the 808 #16 keychain this morning.

Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
motion detection

i have an 808/16 i bought about 8 months ago. i see the latest firmware says something about motion detection. does that mean it will auto detect the beginning and end of a flight? i've looked thru the online manual and didnt see anything about enabling or disabling motion detection in the manual or the gui.
anybody point me in the right direction, or does this only apply to the latest cams?
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
i have an 808/16 i bought about 8 months ago. i see the latest firmware says something about motion detection. does that mean it will auto detect the beginning and end of a flight? i've looked thru the online manual and didnt see anything about enabling or disabling motion detection in the manual or the gui.
anybody point me in the right direction, or does this only apply to the latest cams?
I don't think it is exactly like you think. It is more like a webcam feature that would allow you to have it snag photos or video when the camera is powered on. I don't think it was added as a FPV flight feature.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome