Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
I plan to use #16 for FPV.

I would like to avoid using this bulky USB connector at all and solder directly to usb pinout on camera PCB for AV out + BEC 5V IN

I've seen pinout's in this thread, but can't find this at the moment ;(
Use thread search function to find stuff like this. I know Video is on the normally unused pin 4(aka pin X). I think +5V is pin 1 and ground is pin 5, but double check that.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I use the one in the picture on my fpv wing,the #16 is also powered directly from the sbec.
Interference free and from a usa seller (currently out of stock) http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=337

Not to detract from the seller you posted, but Hobby King sells the same Sbec (Turnigy is their house brand) for $4.90
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,803 Posts
5V voltage regulator or SBEC

My question: If I power the 7805 at 12v will it generate a lot of heat if I'm only using it as 5v power into the camera; which I assume has a very low draw?

I thank you all for contributing knowledge. I intend to use my #16 for FPV and had read a lot about BECs putting out more than 5.25V and damaging the camera. This I don't want to do.

My approach: My camera just arrived and is charging as I type. After I get the cam charged, I'll format a card and play with it in the delivered configuration. I will then upgrade the FW to 49 and play with it some more. Then I'll get into the GUI and set it up for FPV and use the internal battery initially to power with my FPV rig on the ground. When I'm comfortable, I'll then look at my ESC's BEC voltage, my separate BEC voltage or consider an elegant 7805 solution.

BTW, thanx for a great thread. Very appreciated.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
My question: If I power the 7805 at 12v will it generate a lot of heat if I'm only using it as 5v power into the camera; which I assume has a very low draw?
about 250 mA when charged, so you'll need a heat sink on it.
7805 is a super device, 1 amp and rock solid (with the small caps fitted for stability) - it has powered most of the electronics revolution since th 70's.
The SBEC is a modern equiv, much lower consumption.
Another choice is the AnyVolt which gives 1 amp at 5v from 3..18v input, cheap easy to fit etc
Quote:

I thank you all for contributing knowledge. I intend to use my #16 for FPV and had read a lot about BECs putting out more than 5.25V and damaging the camera. This I don't want to do.

My approach: My camera just arrived and is charging as I type. After I get the cam charged, I'll format a card and play with it in the delivered configuration. I will then upgrade the FW to 49 and play with it some more. Then I'll get into the GUI and set it up for FPV and use the internal battery initially to power with my FPV rig on the ground. When I'm comfortable, I'll then look at my ESC's BEC voltage, my separate BEC voltage or consider an elegant 7805 solution.

Throw a simple problem at 3 experts and you will get 6 unique solutions .....
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,803 Posts
Throw a simple problem at 3 experts and you will get 6 unique solutions .....
Mike

But a wealth of knowledge too.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,803 Posts
OK now, charged the battery, formated the disc, took video and pics. Activated the GUI and updated the FW from 0.36 to 0.49. Used GUI to turn video out on and sound off. Turned auto shutoff off. Made a couple other minor changes. Works great. So far very happy with image and handling. Next test will be live video out to my TV and then the goggles.

Thank you all for the support. I'm sure I'll need more.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:33 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
But be careful with BECs, especially cheap ones. Here are some pics from a little test session I did yesterday:
First pictures show pretty constant voltages for the BECs without load.
A (cheap) UBEC turned out to be the most unstable of all.
Using a servo-tester (which drives the attached five servos continuously from side to side) and measuring the output voltage and (peak-) currents, it showed the instability of the UBEC varying from 5.23V up to 5.5V...
And a voltage of 5.2V and higher harms your 808, as Frank stated before...
divemarc is offline Find More Posts by divemarc
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:22 AM
France, Aquitaine, Blaye
Joined Jan 2010
111 Posts
Hellos to

everyone by following this link to Omnivision it is possible to see the technological evolution of cmos. question : sensors what is evolution to our 808 #16 V2?

http://www.ovt.com/

Good flights and forgiveness for my spoken English and long live the 808 #16 V 1, 2

Rubis
Rubis is offline Find More Posts by Rubis
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:42 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemarc View Post
But be careful with BECs, especially cheap ones. Here are some pics from a little test session I did yesterday:
First pictures show pretty constant voltages for the BECs without load.
A (cheap) UBEC turned out to be the most unstable of all.
Using a servo-tester (which drives the attached five servos continuously from side to side) and measuring the output voltage and (peak-) currents, it showed the instability of the UBEC varying from 5.23V up to 5.5V...
And a voltage of 5.2V and higher harms your 808, as Frank stated before...
I n t e r e s t i n g - - Thanks,
Will take your lesson to heart, don't believe the label, use and believe your Meter....
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post

If you are going to build a custom supply for the camera, try looking at the switch mode type regulators.
They are very high efficiency and create far less heat than the 7805 linear type regulator.

Data here.
Typical application here

I use these built into a heat shrink leads for powering 808's from the main flight battery, (up to 30Volts) and they work just fine and get nowhere near as warm as 7805's. (if fact they don't seem to get warm at all).They are complete and don't need any additional components as all the filtering is in the module.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:24 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,448 Posts
I'm surprised that 5.5v at the usb will harm the camera. Are we sure of that?
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:27 AM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
358 Posts
Video out : Black&white only

Hi,

I have two #16 v.2 cameras.
Video out is Black&white only.
And Yes, monitor is COLOR

On "Search this thread" is nothing about this.

Or I missed something ?

Tnx
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg View Post
Hi,

I have two #16 v.2 cameras.
Video out is Black&white only.
And Yes, monitor is COLOR

On "Search this thread" is nothing about this.

Or I missed something ?

Tnx
Most probably you have a PAL only monitor. Most of today's monitors can handle both PAL and NTSC, but some can only handle one or the other.

There may be something in the works, so don't give up yet. I hope you don't have an exotic TV system like SECAM.....
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubis View Post
Hellos to

everyone by following this link to Omnivision it is possible to see the technological evolution of cmos. question : sensors what is evolution to our 808 #16 V2?

http://www.ovt.com/

Good flights and forgiveness for my spoken English and long live the 808 #16 V 1, 2

Rubis
It's the OV9712
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 07, 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Correct CMOS model from 9710 to 9712 (same specs)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:43 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I'm surprised that 5.5v at the usb will harm the camera. Are we sure of that?
No we are not sure. My only comments were that the USB standard calls for 5V +- 5%. In fact, I have powered mine with an external 4 AAA alkaline cell battery pack at voltage above that range continuously long enough to fill my memory cards during testing, and the cameras still function. Did it stress the components? Maybe, but it didn't kill them instantly. I've since added a diode to relieve any undue stress (if there is any) just to be kind to my cameras.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 07, 2012 at 07:49 AM.