HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
OH... too many subjects flying around. YES, you are absolutely correct. Motion detect will work, but not video out.

I sit corrected!
So, what I did wrong? It seems like mine #16V1 does nothing during Motion Detection. What I did is
1. Setup MD in the GUI
2. switch cam OFF
3. push briefly Power button (red LED blink ones)
4. move cam in my fingers (so there is motion)
5. push Power Button again.
6. check flash card (card is empty)
aleks905 is offline Find More Posts by aleks905
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:17 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
The center area of the B lens photo has a brighter hot spot in the center, and that darkens uniformly to a noticeably darker image at the sides/corners. It's more obvious in other videos I've seen, but it's still visible in your picture if you look for it. But hey! What you see and find OK is the only thing that counts!
I sometimes get a pink spot in the center of the image, but that's not unique to the 808s. Serious darkening at an edge sometimes occurs depending on where the sun is relative to which way the camera points.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks905 View Post
So, what I did wrong? It seems like mine #16V1 does nothing during Motion Detection. What I did is
1. Setup MD in the GUI
2. switch cam OFF
Waving fingers in front of the lens sometimes does not trigger the motion detect due to low sensitivity. I suggest using the GUI to turn on the recording LED, so you can see when the recording starts (LED will blink continuously while recording). Rather than wave your finger in front of the lens, move the camera around for test purposes. The recording should start with a decent variable detail scene in the frame scene. Sensitivity is being analyzed and may be revised with a FW tweak.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I sometimes get a pink spot in the center of the image, but that's not unique to the 808s. Serious darkening at an edge sometimes occurs depending on where the sun is relative to which way the camera points.
Yeah, all these inexpensive tiny lenses show some of this, but of the three lenses available for the #16, Lens B is noticeably worse in this regard (to my eye).
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, all these inexpensive tiny lenses show some of this, but of the three lenses available for the #16, Lens B is noticeably worse in this regard (to my eye).
It seems to me that the vignetting and pink hotspot are worse with awb. My video with B lens and fluorescent setting was not too bad imo.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10467
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Waving fingers in front of the lens sometimes does not trigger the motion detect due to low sensitivity. I suggest using the GUI to turn on the recording LED, so you can see when the recording starts (LED will blink continuously while recording). Rather than wave your finger in front of the lens, move the camera around for test purposes. The recording should start with a decent variable detail scene in the frame scene. Sensitivity is being analyzed and may be revised with a FW tweak.
That exactly what I did and LED does not flash, so the cam does nothing. So what could be wrong?
aleks905 is offline Find More Posts by aleks905
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks905 View Post
1. Setup MD in the GUI
2. switch cam OFF
You are NOT holding down the power button long enough.
Push and hold the power button till the led turns yellow, (about 3-4 seconds), then let go.
Will work as advertised then.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
It seems to me that the vignetting and pink hotspot are worse with awb. My video with B lens and fluorescent setting was not too bad imo.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10467
Could be... for me, it shows up more as saturation increases (espcially the hot spot), and different scenes show it more than others. But unless there's a side-by-side video of the same scene with two cameras, it's impossible to see what the differences really are. I can say without any doubt, though, that lens B has worse vignetting than lens A because I've shot side-by-side video with lens B when it was first introduced showing this in a variety of lighting and scenes.

Strangely enough, though, lens B is much less susceptible to the blue-to-gray sky color shift! I can't explain why unless it has to do with the IR filter on the front surface rather than inside the CMOS module on the rear lens element. Or perhaps more likely, it is blocking a different band of IR, and this impacts the sensor response followed by different auto WB action?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:51 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Wazzup?

Just when you guys thought it was safe and Yabba was still messing with his #11's...Tata! I'm back.

I just got my #16 last week and it is such an improvement over the #11 I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

Iso, your GUI is awesome. Thank you. And Tom and all who have contributed to this cameras continuing developement...thank you also.

Here's my first vid. It was stock, out of the box with number ....30 (?) firmware.

I downloaded Iso's program and bootloader and switched to number 049 firmware after this vid but I really haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet.

I like a little more vivid colors. I know it is kind of drab around here but the way the camera is right now makes it even drabber

Any suggestions of what settings I coild go to to get a more Fuji film type of look?

First Tow (6 min 6 sec)

Thanks again everyone.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:55 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
It's possible to display the 16:9 frame stretched vertically to eliminate the letterbox black space, but then the image is distorted. Would you find that preferable to letter boxed images?
Yes!
Even the question wasn't for me, sorry.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Yes!
Even the question wasn't for me, sorry.
That's OK. I'm curious as to what people like. The stretched image doesn't show any additional detail... just distorts the image. I'd rather have the scene look like it really is, not a stretched version. But that's just me.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Of course also I don't like any distorted image but if the player, monitor, (TV) can modify the aspect ratio, the image will be viewed with the correct AR.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
I like a little more vivid colors. I know it is kind of drab around here but the way the camera is right now makes it even drabber

Any suggestions of what settings I coild go to to get a more Fuji film type of look?
Hi Yabba! You should get 0.49 firmware loaded, then set White Balance to Fluorescent. I add one notch of Saturation. You can check my last video, or test for yourself. Maybe you'll come up with something better, but the big advantage of not using Auto White Balance is color stability, much better than #11, and even better than #16 default awb
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:58 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
so, your GUI is awesome. Thank you. And Tom and all who have contributed to this cameras continuing developement...thank you also.
Yabba
Yabba, nice vid, I always enjoy your commentary. :-)

I second the comments about the camera GUI and Tom and Iso's fantastic contributions to the keycam world. I've been through four of these little cams now (3 #11, 1 #16) and now with the new features and the GUI to help out, they are simply fantastic little cams. Thanks, you guys, and keep up the great work! :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Of course also I don't like any distorted image but if the player, monitor, (TV) can modify the aspect ratio, the image will be viewed with the correct AR.
If that's the case, why not just stream out the original aspect ratio to begin with! The converted, then reconverted image is not going to be as sharp as the original, which is already pretty poor quality to begin with being composite video.

I see this as mainly an FPV consideration, and many consider the letterbox format an advantage for displaying live flight recorder data in the blank frame areas. Maybe a user toggle to select one or the other is possible.